Unlucky to lose his place in the team. One of our best players in recent weeks, at left back and also when moved to the right and midfield during matches. On a winning run in the league, so why drop him?  What is the advantage in dropping one of your best players?

I know I'm wide of the mark sometimes with my analysis etc, but sometimes common sense stares you in the face and says why drop one of your best performers?  I know, he's not a left back by trade, but does that matter?  Ok, we have a new left back to come in, but so what?  Hasn't Sorensen proved excellent for the team wherever he has played?  

Rupp came in today and did ok, did some good stuff but also gave the ball away a few times, something that Sorensen rarely does, so for me to see Sorensen moved inside to McLean's position would have been a logical choice.  As it was we had two changes on that side of the field - and it didn't help Cantwell imo. One change - bring in Gianoulis with Sorensen moving inside could have been a good combination without changing too many of the team.  The logical thing then would have been to bring Rupp on from the bench to give him a few minutes to gradually get up to match fitness.

I trust Farke, he has earned it, but there is no harm in asking questions sometimes. Sorensen has been probably my favourite player this season, (yes, even more than Vrancic, who maybe hasn't been at his best recently), so I hope to see him back in the team on Tuesday!

Personally I felt having a proper left back in there would help balance the team but Boro didn't let that happen.

Can totally see the argument for him starting over Rupp but I guess him and Skipp had been working well together before the injury so I can also see the logic in bringing that partnership back.

I understand your point as he doesn't 'deserve' to be dropped, but Sorensen is probably glad of it. Obviously he doesn't see himself as a left back long-term, but his performances there have probably put him in a better position to stake a claim in his favoured position, possibly as soon as this week.

• Like 1

He must be a bit gutted. Two games ago his boss said he’d produced the best left back performance and then he’s dropped like a stone for the new guy!

Just now, king canary said:

Personally I felt having a proper left back in there would help balance the team but Boro didn't let that happen.

Can totally see the argument for him starting over Rupp but I guess him and Skipp had been working well together before the injury so I can also see the logic in bringing that partnership back.

I just think without Mclean and Rupp our central two won't ever break the lines or offer a threat further up the pitch. Rupp was better than Skipp today (not for the first time) winning more tackles, carrying the ball up the pitch and making runs into the box and trying to create space.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

I just think without Mclean and Rupp our central two won't ever break the lines or offer a threat further up the pitch. Rupp was better than Skipp today (not for the first time) winning more tackles, carrying the ball up the pitch and making runs into the box and trying to create space.

I think its very difficult to make that claim without seeing Sorenson in midfield first.

• Like 1

Better for Sorensen's long-term development that he's not playing out of position. Rupp needed game time and looked much sprightlier than his show in the cup last week, although he's not quite at the form of earlier on. He's progressing well though on that showing.

A doughty rearguard action from a Boro side under the division's wiliest operator does not change the fact that Giannoulis showed some very nice flashes in the second half despite Warnock jamming the wings, and even had some sprints in the locker in the later stages when down to ten, so was clearly not too far off match fitness if not there already. Think that will give Giannoulis some confidence as well to take into the next game in that he was part of a back four that didn't concede on his debut and played all 90, some with ten men. On top of that, we need a proper look at the Greek to see if he's definitely going to make the grade and also to bed him in.

Sorensen's time in the middle will come soon enough with the fixture congestion we have. 

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think its very difficult to make that claim without seeing Sorenson in midfield first.

Just from the style of the respective players it's what I'm half-assuming and also thinking Farkes logic behind it too.

If we ever give Skipp a breather it will be with Sorenson. 

Edited by Surfer

For me we need to be getting Sorensen some game time in CM, we're losing Skipp in the summer and we need Sorensen to be ready to step in there. 

All about succession planning. 

• Like 2

We were slow to exploit the space that could have been created down the left with their right back man marking cantwell....when cantwell moved inside and his marker followed, that should have been the invitation for Giannoulis to bomb forward...something I think he will be better able to than Sorenson.

We clearly gave him instruction to do that at half time as he was constantly a good 20 yrds further forward in the 2nd half....until the sending off and it was slightly scuppered

8 hours ago, king canary said:

I think we need Rupp's experience. He was looking great next to Skipp before injury, I think Farke is right to push that partnership again. We haven't seen Sorenson in midfield properly yet, but from what we have seen, albeit at left back, I do feel Rupp is the player who will drive forward and break lines more. Of course I could be wrong. Sorenson is  a quality player.  

What's important is that Farke doesnt change things too much, and end up losing momentum.

46 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

We should get him in position and ready for no Skipp. 

Exactly my stance. He looks like a more dangerous player going forward too. That ball against Bristol City...don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's another Vrancic or Leitner with that, but there's no way Skipp would have played it - or indeed Rupp. 

10 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Better for Sorensen's long-term development that he's not playing out of position. Rupp needed game time and looked much sprightlier than his show in the cup last week, although he's not quite at the form of earlier on. He's progressing well though on that showing.

A doughty rearguard action from a Boro side under the division's wiliest operator does not change the fact that Giannoulis showed some very nice flashes in the second half despite Warnock jamming the wings, and even had some sprints in the locker in the later stages when down to ten, so was clearly not too far off match fitness if not there already. Think that will give Giannoulis some confidence as well to take into the next game in that he was part of a back four that didn't concede on his debut and played all 90, some with ten men. On top of that, we need a proper look at the Greek to see if he's definitely going to make the grade and also to bed him in.

Sorensen's time in the middle will come soon enough with the fixture congestion we have. 

Absolutely spot on, agree with every word of this. I'm sure Lungi will have been disappointed, but he's a young lad coming in from an inferior league who's run himself into the ground playing out of position. I'm sure a rest will do him a power of good, and his experiences at left back can only work in his favour when he gets the chance to play in his preferred position.

Lets get promoted before replacing our better players.  Jacob has provided enough evidence from LB that he will be a tidy player in whatever position he plays.  Wherever he played yesterday would not have affected the result or performance.  Patience is the watchword for Jacob cannot see him displacing any of the current DM's at the club.  

I'm not sure where the idea that it has to be Skipp or Sorenson comes from. 

Watching Sorenson at left back its clear he's more than capable of making attacking runs from deep and breaking the lines. Similarly, Skipp was doing this more earlier in the season. I think those two could actually give us a perfect balance together.

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'm not sure where the idea that it has to be Skipp or Sorenson comes from. 

Watching Sorenson at left back its clear he's more than capable of making attacking runs from deep and breaking the lines. Similarly, Skipp was doing this more earlier in the season. I think those two could actually give us a perfect balance together.

I think it's due to Skipp being on loan and with no guarantee whatsoever (in fact, I'd say it's unlikely) that we'll get him permanently. Sorensen looks like a Skipp replacement, and the way Rupp and McLean have been playing this season, they can both make a claim to being in too.

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I think it's due to Skipp being on loan and with no guarantee whatsoever (in fact, I'd say it's unlikely) that we'll get him permanently. Sorensen looks like a Skipp replacement, and the way Rupp and McLean have been playing this season, they can both make a claim to being in too.

I just think the logic is faulty to be honest. By this thinking why even sign a loanee?

Play the best two central midfielders. Based on what we've seen that is Skipp + 1 right now. 

I just think the logic is faulty to be honest. By this thinking why even sign a loanee?

Play the best two central midfielders. Based on what we've seen that is Skipp + 1 right now. 

Shores up the midfield in theory, as you've no idea how a young player coming from a different country and a weaker league will do. Ultimately Sorensen was bought in as a defensive midfielder, and possibly as an emergency centre-half knowing his matches with Denmark U21s.

Also worth throwing in as a tangent that Tettey and Vrancic both have contracts running out this year, so there's also that to consider. Better to have their successors in the building already.

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Shores up the midfield in theory, as you've no idea how a young player coming from a different country and a weaker league will do. Ultimately Sorensen was bought in as a defensive midfielder, and possibly as an emergency centre-half knowing his matches with Denmark U21s.

Also worth throwing in as a tangent that Tettey and Vrancic both have contracts running out this year, so there's also that to consider. Better to have their successors in the building already.

All fine but none of that relates to who we should be picking right now.

I understand the idea of getting Sorenson game time but the most important thing right now is getting promoted and you don't do that by dropping your best central midfielder. 

To extend the logic even further, we should surely drop Vrancic for Dowell as he's out of contract? 

If we were sitting midtable then I could see an argument for prepping for next season. Not when you're top though.

All fine but none of that relates to who we should be picking right now.

I understand the idea of getting Sorenson game time but the most important thing right now is getting promoted and you don't do that by dropping your best central midfielder. 

To extend the logic even further, we should surely drop Vrancic for Dowell as he's out of contract? 

If we were sitting midtable then I could see an argument for prepping for next season. Not when you're top though.

I'd be up for starting Dowell anyway. He needs the minutes coming back from injury, and to be honest I think Vrancic may be better coming off the bench when opposing players are a bit more tired.

I think you’re right Sorenson was unlucky to miss out. I think that was a mistake on the managers part. We certainly missed the creative side of his game yesterday. 
I also think we missed McLean, whilst Kenny isn’t the be all and end all he’s offers far more than Rupp who I think we saw again yesterday is just an incredibly bang average player even at championship level. 

We now need to take stock of the situation and not panic as some on here have done after yesterday. Middlesbrough came and did a very well planed job on us yesterday. They stifled our fullbacks creativity and pressed the midfield pair hard. I didn’t feel that    Skipp and especially Rupp coped well with that. 

But I’m happy to put things down to a bad day. Emi had a stinker and Todd was very ineffectual. Defence was very solid which is encouraging. 

I think the biggest worry could be we got out managed yesterday. 

37 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Defence was very solid which is encouraging. 

I think this is a key point- last couple of seasons this game ends with us giving up a sloppy goal via a set piece or similar and losing 1-0.

I always think of that malt loaf whenever Sorensen's name is mentioned. I used to be addicted to the stuff ... until I discovered its calorie count:

"It was in 1938 that a gentleman named John Sorensen first developed the soft, sticky, moreish malt loaf made to a top secret recipe. In 1939 the bakery had turned into a successful business with one oven, four bakery staff and two shop assistants."

It's now called Soreen,  a word like serene (calm) which is probably a better comparison of the player than a stodgy pastry, Danish or not.

Edited by BroadstairsR

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Because Sorensen wasn't ready?

1 hour ago, Hardhouse44 said:

I think you’re right Sorenson was unlucky to miss out. I think that was a mistake on the managers part. We certainly missed the creative side of his game yesterday. 
I also think we missed McLean, whilst Kenny isn’t the be all and end all he’s offers far more than Rupp who I think we saw again yesterday is just an incredibly bang average player even at championship level. 

We now need to take stock of the situation and not panic as some on here have done after yesterday. Middlesbrough came and did a very well planed job on us yesterday. They stifled our fullbacks creativity and pressed the midfield pair hard. I didn’t feel that    Skipp and especially Rupp coped well with that. 

But I’m happy to put things down to a bad day. Emi had a stinker and Todd was very ineffectual. Defence was very solid which is encouraging. 

I think the biggest worry could be we got out managed yesterday. 

Bit harsh on Rupp, I think he was starting to look very good before his recent injury. Agreed that Kenny is a better option though, and nice to see you being positive!