Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So Kenny should be back, but Emi will be joining McGovern, Byram, Stiepermann and Hugill on the unavailable list.

Assuming everyone else is available, how would you line up on Tuesday? Do you rotate a lot to keep the top players fresh for Friday, or power through with as few changes as possible?

I'd go with:

Krul
Aarons Hanley Gibson Giannoulis
Skipp McLean
Placheta Dowell Cantwell
Pukki

Subs: Barden, Zimmermann, Sorensen, Mumba, Tettey, Rupp, Vrancic, Hernandez, Idah.

Don't see the point in changing the back five as we looked very solid at the back, even with 10 men.

Cantwell was poor today, but with no Emi we will need his creativity; an immediate chance to put it right will be the best tonic for him.

I have been wondering whether Mumba could be an additional option in a more advanced position; full-back slots look relatively sewn up as long as Max stays fit, and Mumba looked electric before he got injured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I'd go with:

Krul
Aarons Hanley Gibson Giannoulis
Skipp McLean
Placheta Dowell Cantwell
Pukki

Subs: Barden, Zimmermann, Sorensen, Mumba, Tettey, Rupp, Vrancic, Hernandez, Idah.

Agree with this, only I'd have Dowell on the right, Placheta on the left, Todd through the middle. 

Wouldn't go as far as to say this is must-win given how long is still left of the season, but with Swansea away coming up after, this really needs to be 3 points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would play Kenny in the Vrancic role for the next two away games. Or put him next to Skipp and play Rupp in the Emi role. 
 

I think we need some extra solidity, at least for the Swansea game 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might be worth a slight rotation with Swansea on the horizon and also less time to recover. If Mumba's recovered, I'd put him on the left as you'd think our Greek Mr. No Brakes friend would have some fun playing with Mumba Number Five.

Both Dowell and Hernandez need minutes. Cantwell could probably use a breather. McLean, Rupp, and Sorensen should be able to rotate a smidgeon. Idah can use a few minutes too.

Tough call for Farke, this one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McLean has to come back next to Skipp for me if he is ready. Placheta  or Argos to replace Buendia to give us that bit of pace on the counter away from home. Toss up between Mario and Dowell for the number ten role. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a fan of playing Rupp on the wing as it didn't work last season, although admittedly it's hard to make a fair comparison due to the difference in standard.

Personally, I'd bring McLean back into the side but as a ten. Vrancic hasn't been terribly effective lately and Dowell hasn't convinced me either, but obviously he's still finding his way back after a long injury lay-off. 

As a result, I'd use the side FTW put in the opening post except I'd select Sorensen or Rupp (probably the former) in place of Dowell, with McLean advancing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we're to be playing Vrancic I think he needs to be further back in the formation to have any real influence. With that, the fact that teams are settling on how to play against us, and Emi being out-

        Pukki   Idah

           McLean

     Skipp     Rupp

           Vrancic

Haven't included the defence because it picks itself. Vrancic with sufficient shielding to orchestrate with the ability to mix it up, and IMO could quite easily be interchanged with Sorensen in this formation. 

This is what I would do, anyway. What Farke will do is play McLean and Placheta for Emi and Mario.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

If we're to be playing Vrancic I think he needs to be further back in the formation to have any real influence. With that, the fact that teams are settling on how to play against us, and Emi being out-

        Pukki   Idah

           McLean

     Skipp     Rupp

           Vrancic

Haven't included the defence because it picks itself. Vrancic with sufficient shielding to orchestrate with the ability to mix it up, and IMO could quite easily be interchanged with Sorensen in this formation. 

This is what I would do, anyway. What Farke will do is play McLean and Placheta for Emi and Mario.

Think I'd drop McLean back and go more 4-1-3-2 if you're looking at that. McLean and Rupp are both more dangerous surging out of the deep, I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I would play Kenny in the Vrancic role for the next two away games. Or put him next to Skipp and play Rupp in the Emi role. 
 

I think we need some extra solidity, at least for the Swansea game 

Christ...are people really suggesting we play Rupp out wide??....when we've got two proper widemen in Hernandez and Placheta??

'Keep it solid'??  ...we are solid, a Boro team with an extra man for 30 mins didnt get a sniff

We're top of the league...go there for the 3 pts , an attacking player in for Buendia..

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of really interesting (and equally valid) opinions here... it's a real quandary. Looking back at Farke's management over the past three-plus years, he doesn't make changes unless he has to; it's very rare for him to shuffle the pack more than we think we will, and very common for him to shuffle the pack less.

It's all a case of what the cumulative load has done to our regular starters; if Aarons and Skipp need a rest, this is the match to do it. However, with an eight-day recovery period after the Swansea match, I'd expect very few changes. There's no need to be overly defensive by playing McLean, Skipp and Rupp; we're solid defensively and struggling to score enough goals, so we should go there to attack and win.

Looking at the team in my OP, I still think that has the right balance - but lots of interesting and fair points made!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t think Vrancic has done much wrong. He was one who attacked the Warnock tactics by running past the press, even though he’s less well equipped than others to do so. We won’t come up against as well executed a man marking plan when playing Millwall (and then Swansea will have a real go) so space will be there for Vrancic. I prefer him slightly deeper but I think he deserves to keep his place.


Krul

Aarons  Hanley  Gibson  Giannoulis

Skipp  McLean 

Dowell  Vrancic  Cantwell 

Pukki

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daniel loves Kenny and Rupp in equal measures.  Kenny to be played in no 10, love Vrancic but looked off the pace keep him to come from the bench.  Need Kenny's energy behind Pukki, he has looked more of a goal threat recently.  Hernandez on right and Todd on left, Placheta must start to impress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Krul

Aarons Hanley Gibson Giannoulis

          Skipp Sorensen

Mumba Vrancic Cantwell

                 Pukki

Put on the rapid wingers and Hugill against tired legs. 

                

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I frequently see talk about using our rapid wingers against tired legs. I think this tactic is flawed - they can be rapid, but the way we play we don't pass the ball in front of them to use whatever pace they do have. In almost every situation where Placheta and Hernandez have received the ball they are static, often with their back to goal. They are also both useless at finishing, so we need them to cross or find that final pass in order to make use of them - with Hugill injured there is no one who can get on the end of those.

Two seasons ago we played a lot to the near post for Pukki and Rhodes but we don't do that anymore - we are going longer. That tactic won't work against Millwall without Hugill and because Jake Cooper wins everything in the air. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

What do we think?

team.png

Reminds me of this. 

I'm pretty sure your 11 will need bodies, arms and legs to beat Millwall

 

headsinajar.png

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, vlad666 said:

I’d have sorenson alongside skipp and mclean further forward. 

Totally agree

Krul

Aarons Hanley Gibson Giannoulis

Skipp Sorensen

Hernandez McLean Cantwell

Pukki

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hernandez is not fit enough IMO.

I’d go for:

                            Krul

Aarons, Hanley, Gibson, Ginnoulis

                    Rupp, Skipp

              Shemi, Kenny, Cantwell

                            Pukki

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d play Hernandez over Placheta as from what I’ve seen, he’s the much better player. However, I’d agree he’s not match fit yet so I think he needs some minutes against Millwall to be ready to start at Swansea.

From the start, I think it’ll be Kenny in for Emi, with Mario pushed out a bit wider right and Kenny at no 10.

Edited by Clint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Move Klose said:

Totally agree

Krul

Aarons Hanley Gibson Giannoulis

Skipp Sorensen

Hernandez McLean Cantwell

Pukki

 

Looks good to me too. I think Sorensen was a bit hard done by to not even get on the pitch yesterday. Perhaps the red card influenced changes in this regard. Pukki looked a bit jaded too, and isolated. Maybe Idah could start for the Millwall game? Pukki, Placheta, Dowell & Vrancic give attacking options off the bench and keep the Goat fresher for Swansea. 

But it's almost a given Rupp & Pukki will start. Is Kenny definitely ready for this one as his energy and drive was sorely missed yesterday? A positive from yesterday was some vital minutes into the legs of Giannoulis, Rupp, Hernandez, and Idah. 

Skipp looks indispensable so who's the best option alongside him if all are fit & available? McLean? Does it depend on the opposition? DF likes Rupp. When will we see Sorensen in the engine room?

Lots to ponder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

                            Krul

Aarons      Hanley     Gibson      Giannoulis 

                 Skipp        McClean

Dowell               Vrancic           Cantwell

                       Pukki

 

McClean back in for me, Farke said he hadn't really had symptoms so hopefully he has been training in some capacity during his isolation. Giannoulis given a chance in a game that will hopefully give him more space, if he shows progress then we can hope by Friday he can make the step up against Swansea, we need him whipping low balls in for Temmu, especially without Buendia's vision on the pitch. I'd give Dowell the start, I think he really needs a game to get his season going and it would also give us the option to move him into the number 10 spot and bring on Placheta or Hernandez for Vrancic on the 70th if we need it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need a bit more physicality in the team for these next two in my view. I'd be tempted to try Sorensen in the middle and Kenny needs to come back in. Millwall are a threat in the air and those two players give us better protection at set pieces with their aerial ability. 

Rupp is a tidy enough player but he went missing after half time and for me he also just doesn;t see certain passes early enough, particularly when a quick switch of play is on. This slows our game down a bit and I think we need to be a bit more direct. To be fair, we've looked a lot more incisive away from home of late so perhaps being away for these two games will suit us.

Can;t decide if I would risk Gianoulis at Millwall and Swansea but i can;t see Farke dropping him after 1 game having taken a risk to play him on Saturday. he clearly rates him to have made that move.

Was it ever confirmed if Max has a broken nose. if so then guess he could be a doubt for tomorrow but assuming he;s available I would go for this team tomorrow night.

Krul

Aarons Hanley Gibson Gianoullis

Skipp Sorensen

Hernandez McClean Cantwell

Pukki

Or alternatively keep Vrancic in and drop Kenny back alongside Skipp with Sorensen on the bench. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/01/2021 at 09:32, Feedthewolf said:

Lots of really interesting (and equally valid) opinions here... it's a real quandary. Looking back at Farke's management over the past three-plus years, he doesn't make changes unless he has to; it's very rare for him to shuffle the pack more than we think we will, and very common for him to shuffle the pack less.

It's all a case of what the cumulative load has done to our regular starters; if Aarons and Skipp need a rest, this is the match to do it. However, with an eight-day recovery period after the Swansea match, I'd expect very few changes. There's no need to be overly defensive by playing McLean, Skipp and Rupp; we're solid defensively and struggling to score enough goals, so we should go there to attack and win.

Looking at the team in my OP, I still think that has the right balance - but lots of interesting and fair points made!

This is not a match to be resting players. This is a crucial game which buys us breathing space at the weekend if we win it. lose at Millwall and we go to Swansea under huge pressure and most likely with Brentford able to go above us at the weekend. We need to try and bank these 3 points with our strongest available line up. if we do then a draw at Swansea becomes a decent result. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

We need a bit more physicality in the team for these next two in my view. I'd be tempted to try Sorensen in the middle and Kenny needs to come back in. Millwall are a threat in the air and those two players give us better protection at set pieces with their aerial ability. 

Rupp is a tidy enough player but he went missing after half time and for me he also just doesn;t see certain passes early enough, particularly when a quick switch of play is on. This slows our game down a bit and I think we need to be a bit more direct. To be fair, we've looked a lot more incisive away from home of late so perhaps being away for these two games will suit us.

Can;t decide if I would risk Gianoulis at Millwall and Swansea but i can;t see Farke dropping him after 1 game having taken a risk to play him on Saturday. he clearly rates him to have made that move.

Was it ever confirmed if Max has a broken nose. if so then guess he could be a doubt for tomorrow but assuming he;s available I would go for this team tomorrow night.

Krul

Aarons Hanley Gibson Gianoullis

Skipp Sorensen

Hernandez McClean Cantwell

Pukki

Or alternatively keep Vrancic in and drop Kenny back alongside Skipp with Sorensen on the bench. 

 

This is probably what what I would go for too. Would put definitely put Onel to fill in for Emi, as he’s the most experienced winger we have available. Might put McLean to partner Skipp and possibly even Dowell as the no. 10, as I’m not convinced Mario has the energy to start anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Millwall  are pretty poor of late and I don't think they've won at home since October. I don't think Farke will make many changes so I'm guessing Rupp in Emi's position and McLean alongside Skippy.

Hernandez and Placheta haven't done enough to earn a start and neither has Dowell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

                             Krul

Aarons      Hanley     Gibson      Giannoulis 

                 Skipp        Sorensen

Placheta/Onel               Mclean           Cantwell

                       Pukki

 

Think Gian is now our 1st choice LB, and with Mclean back I'd try him further forward in No.10 to give us a bit of muscle up front, and try Sorensen in his best position next to Skipp. When Emi is back imo this is our strongest starting 11, but alas I still don't think we'll see it, and continue to feel Sorensen is our missing piece of the puzzle in CM, and maybe Mclean to make No.10 spot his own. Just my opinion

That set Farke will stick with his beloved Rupp next to Skipp. Get frustrated that we have players like Sorensen who well over half a season gone and we're still not seeing in the position we bought them for. That's no bad things as we have strength in depth, but need Rupp to get up to speed quickly if he's picked, Mclean to hit his superb form if he's picked, and Pukki to find his goalscoring boots pretty quickly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Krul 

Aarons Hanley Gibson Giannoulis

Skipp McLean (or Sorensen)

Cantwell and Platcheta are the only fully fit lads... Vrancic offers very little when starting, Platcheta very hit and miss so Daniel has difficult decisions... Martin, Dowell, Hernandez, Rupp not match fit to start..... because of that would try Sorensen alongside Skipp and push McLean forward alongside Cantwell and Hernandez.   

Pukki (Shame Idah isn’t fit enough so we could drop Pukki into the 3) as a change could be as good as a rest.   

Otherwise, Sorensen very unfortunate... Rupp not quite up to speed to keep McLean out... Hernandez needs minutes, he’s a tad more experienced than Platcheta who could replace Onel after an hour!  

Wouldn’t give any consideration to Swansea until Wednesday!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...