Sign in to follow this  
pete

Championship wins without Emi

In 2018/9 we failed to win any game when Buendia did not play.  3 draws after QPR dismissal Wigan (A), Stoke (A) and Sheff Wed (H) until two wins with Emi on his return led to Championship.

In 2020/21 we won first game against Huddersfield without Emi.  Then he returned to the team and played in all games until sent off against Stoke and the next game missed was home draw against Cov.  Now will miss next two matches and the omens for victories are not good based on our record without Buendia.

Top of the league and automatic may soon be a distant dream.  

1 minute ago, pete said:

In 2018/9 we failed to win any game when Buendia did not play.  3 draws after QPR dismissal Wigan (A), Stoke (A) and Sheff Wed (H) until two wins with Emi on his return led to Championship.

In 2020/21 we won first game against Huddersfield without Emi.  Then he returned to the team and played in all games until sent off against Stoke and the next game missed was home draw against Cov.  Now will miss next two matches and the omens for victories are not good based on our record without Buendia.

Shut up, Pete.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, pete said:

Such positivy after having drawn to stay top of the table

11 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Such positivy after having drawn to stay top of the table

With 10 against a team that is still in the hunt for play offs.

Brentford and Swansea on the other hand played 2 teams who will be contenders for relegation.

Being realistic, the team now has to step up to prove we can do it without Emi. Millwall will be a stiff test but without Emi we might have to tweak our game plan.

We didn't 'win' today with Emi on it, never had a shot on target. Over a long period of time we would miss him but for a couple of games others will have to step up.

• Like 2

Odd how within a few hours we have gone from having the best squad in the Championship to being a one man team

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pete is a bit of a **** - but hard to argue that we always miss Emi. We forget the attention he gets from the opposition. We may not have created a lot - but Colin was so obsessed about Emi and Cantwell he forgot to try and win the game even when they had the advantage . 
Colin crowing about his success in getting Buendia sent off seems to forget they created bugg3r all against 10 men. 

That stat is pretty misleading though - he’s an important player for us but we don’t always win with him in the side, and in 18/19 there were games we won where he started but wasn’t on the pitch (eg Blackburn away, we won with a late goal, he went off in the first half).

32 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

That stat is pretty misleading though - he’s an important player for us but we don’t always win with him in the side, and in 18/19 there were games we won where he started but wasn’t on  We the pitch (eg Blackburn away, we won with a late goal, he went off in the first half).

I agree I think the stats without Buendia debate could be a bit of a false equivalence. Although he has of course been exceptional for us since joining.

During 2018/19 when he joined, he missed games at the start of the season (I think), but the team was still getting up to speed with various new signings to bed in. Then when he was sent off towards the end of 2018/19 we were all but promoted and naturally seemed to take our foot off the gas.

In terms of this season, again he didn’t feature during the early stages and again we didn’t do well, but the whole team was still turning the tide from last season’s dreadful run-in. Hardly conclusive. 

I’m interested to see how we will now fare without him considering we’ve stepped it up a lot since his last absence. Just a shame we have to test the theory across two such tough fixtures...

I am also more confident in our chances without him than I would’ve been a few weeks back. He’s not been at his best the past few games IMO - I think in part the emergence of Cantwell has meant we haven’t needed to lean on him quite so much. But I also wonder if all the goings on in the transfer window have taken away a fraction of his focus. Don’t get me wrong, he’s still been great, but up to this month he had simply been god-like. Maybe a week to freshen up will help to bring him back to his peak!

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

Emi is essential to our style of play. I feel disheartened going into two tough away games without him. 

I guess Kenny will replace him, possibly Dowell. Although I'd be tempted with Kenny and go for high energy. Either way, we'll miss Emi, despite good squad depth. 

Well, someone needs to fill his boots. He won't be around forever. If we can't win without him then there's no hope next season. We can't expect to have him playing every game. 

Time for Dowell to Do Well or my preferred option, Martin, to get some more experience. 

Emo has a class, not been as vibrant the last few games. Time for Placheta to step up. Team needs some pace. Just a shame it’s at Emi’s expense

1 hour ago, NFN FC said:

Well, someone needs to fill his boots. He won't be around forever. If we can't win without him then there's no hope next season. We can't expect to have him playing every game. 

Time for Dowell to Do Well or my preferred option, Martin, to get some more experience. 

I should think we have a plan in place for next year if/when Emi leaves. We would certainly have money to spend and the current regime are clearly very good at finding talent, even with very little money. 

I recently posted the stats on the 'Emi effect' and the figures are quite startling. But we are probably better placed to do without him than in the past. We have a better squad now and with the exception of Middlesbrough, Todd Cantwell has been outstanding. Nothing to panic about and Emi gets a rest before the run in. 

12 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I should think we have a plan in place for next year if/when Emi leaves. We would certainly have money to spend and the current regime are clearly very good at finding talent, even with very little money. 

I recently posted the stats on the 'Emi effect' and the figures are quite startling. But we are probably better placed to do without him than in the past. We have a better squad now and with the exception of Middlesbrough, Todd Cantwell has been outstanding. Nothing to panic about and Emi gets a rest before the run in. 

You Only have to go back to his sending off against QPR in our promotion year. Was it 4 consecutive draws immediately after? 
We are a hell of a lot better with him than without even if he is not firing on all cylinders. The opposition take a lot of notice of him as we saw yesterday which in itself makes him effective . Boro changed their strategy because of him and Cantwell. 

1 hour ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

You Only have to go back to his sending off against QPR in our promotion year. Was it 4 consecutive draws immediately after? 
We are a hell of a lot better with him than without even if he is not firing on all cylinders. The opposition take a lot of notice of him as we saw yesterday which in itself makes him effective . Boro changed their strategy because of him and Cantwell. 

Well the 4th one of those consecutive draws came with Emi in the team GPB. 

15 hours ago, pete said:

Stop rewriting history Pete. Emi played from the start in the 2-2 away draw at Stoke. 

25 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Well the 4th one of those consecutive draws came with Emi in the team GPB. 

Oh I see Thirsty .  Now you are employing FACTS to derail my point . That’s not what this message board is all about 😂

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Oh I see Thirsty .  Now you are employing FACTS to derail my point . That’s not what this message board is all about 😂

It most certainly is not. We need far more posts about what we won in the early 60's.

• Haha 1

Not having him will always make it harder, but you don't get to the top because of one player alone. We have a strong squad, I think stronger than last time we went up with a much more disciplined defence. I think its a chance for players out of the starting 11 to step up and show that they are part of this clubs plans if we were to go up. I think Dowell, hernandez and Placheta all need to take the next two games by the scruff of the neck and Todd needs to find the performance levels of Cardiff away where he out shone Emi. 

Buendia would always be one of the first on my team sheet, but you don't get to be 4 points clear at the top just from one player.

9 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Id rather martin play than dowell, dowelled does near on nothing for me... personal opinion 

22 hours ago, pete said:

You're the sort of person who would win a holiday to Tenerife and complain it isn't Barbados.

Was it a straight red? I thought it was a second yellow, if so is it not just a one match ban?

Just now, Rivvo said:

Was it a straight red? I thought it was a second yellow, if so is it not just a one match ban?

Second red card of the season, so an extra game ban I believe.