lake district canary

"We said he'd get sent off"

8 minutes ago, Pukki Blinders said:

He played in that Everton game, so that makes the Huddersfield game on the opening day is the only time we’ve won a league match without him. 

Our record in the league without Emi:

P11 W1 D6 L4

9 points out of a possible 33. Doesn’t bode well (particularly for the Swansea game on Friday).

He came on as a very late sub in that Everton game. In our famous comeback against Forest he left the pitch when we were 3-0 down and we stormed back for a 3-3 draw without him. The fact that our record without him is so poor makes it even more 'criminal' that he keeps getting himself sent off.

7 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I'm sorry but this is drivel. What he needs to be doing first and foremost is getting on the ball and setting up and scoring goals with his marvellous vision and skill. Yes, he needs to do his share of defensive work and pressing when we haven't got the ball, but he needs to do this without risking getting booked and sent off. 

And how does get the ball half the time?  By tackling, snapping at heels and winning the ball for himself. If you watch his overall contribution to a match, at least 50% of it is doing that - hard graft, getting right close up to opponents to win the ball back - and once he gets the ball, then he can create something - so his worth to a team is much more than just creating. If people don't realise that, then they have missed quite a bit of what he is about. Telling a player like Emi to stand off a bit, or be careful, is to reduce what he is all about.

Maybe he could learn to hold back a bit, I don't know, but for me the simplest thing is if he gets booked, take him off, after all we have a strong bench - and it ensures he is available for the next game.  Three times it's happened he's been sent off since the break. Yes, he can learn, but he isn't learning quick enough so the next time he is booked, then get him off the field. We are not a one man team and the bigger picture is the games following that we need him in.

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

And how does get the ball half the time?  By tackling, snapping at heels and winning the ball for himself. If you watch his overall contribution to a match, at least 50% of it is doing that - hard graft, getting right close up to opponents to win the ball back - and once he gets the ball, then he can create something - so his worth to a team is much more than just creating. If people don't realise that, then they have missed quite a bit of what he is about. Telling a player like Emi to stand off a bit, or be careful, is to reduce what he is all about.

Maybe he could learn to hold back a bit, I don't know, but for me the simplest thing is if he gets booked, take him off, after all we have a strong bench - and it ensures he is available for the next game.  Three times it's happened he's been sent off since the break. Yes, he can learn, but he isn't learning quick enough so the next time he is booked, then get him off the field. We are not a one man team and the bigger picture is the games following that we need him in.

If you really think that half the time he gets the ball it's because he's won it in a tackle then there really is no hope for you - absolutely none at all. 

8 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

A collective failing for me. Emi should have worked out by now that going in for challenges like that on a yellow card is begging for trouble, and from that perspective he's let us down today.

However, as much as you can't expect Farke to sub him every time he gets a booking, he's played Warnock a few times now and must have known they would be up to those quite specific tricks today. Personally, I'm a little surprised that we didn't have any notable reaction to the aggressive man-marking they were employing on Buendia and Catnwell, which no doubt contributed to the frustrations.

The Championship is a wonderfully diverse and competitive league, which makes it so satisfying to get promoted automatically from. We failed as a team to deal with the Warnock playbook today and it's a case of dusting off and going again.

Agree with that. It wasn't just that he had a yellow, it was that he had a yellow and also wasn't having a good game. That frustration is just a powder keg with him.

I think the attempt to wind him up was pretty obvious and Farke could have taken him off but I also understand not wanted to take off your best player when struggling to create in a 0-0 draw.

2 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

If you really think that half the time he gets the ball it's because he's won it in a tackle then there really is no hope for you - absolutely none at all. 

I would say that his tackling back and general harrying of opponents results in himself or a team-mate regaining possession more times than you realise.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

Agree with that. It wasn't just that he had a yellow, it was that he had a yellow and also wasn't having a good game. That frustration is just a powder keg with him.

I think the attempt to wind him up was pretty obvious and Farke could have taken him off but I also understand not wanted to take off your best player when struggling to create in a 0-0 draw.

So just done a quick bit of research and according to this Emi has been booked 15 times in League games for us and sent off four times. Two of those have been straight reds and two have been for two yellow cards. So there have been 13 occasions where he has been booked and not gone on to be booked again and two where he has. 

• Like 2

Buendia tackling back to win the ball is a big part of his game. It’s always going to have a large element of risk. 

8 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

I would say that his tackling back and general harrying of opponents results in himself or a team-mate regaining possession more times than you realise.

You can say what you want, but you'd be wrong. The thing is that it's actually pretty easy these days to find these things out.  So for today's game:  Emi has touched the ball 51 times and won 1 tackle. So the percentage of times he's had possession by virtue of winning it in a tackle is approx 2%. Yet Lakey comes on here spouting that 50% of the time he's got the ball it's because he's won it in tackle. Drivel and delusional nonsense I'm afraid. 

Emi's match stats.PNG

Brentford and Swansea seem to be winning games without Emi Buendia in their team, we will miss him but we have loads of match winners and players to take his place.

Emi doesn't have a discipline problem, it's not like he's Joey Barton, his 'fault' is his desire to win and work hard for the team,

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

So just done a quick bit of research and according to this Emi has been booked 15 times in League games for us and sent off four times. Two of those have been straight reds and two have been for two yellow cards. So there have been 13 occasions where he has been booked and not gone on to be booked again and two where he has. 

Problem is if you average 6 or 7 bookings a season, which Emi has while he's been here, that's a guaranteed sending off every season based on those numbers, before you even take into account straight reds. 

Compare that with Alex Tettey, who has picked up 65 yellow cards over 9 seasons for the club yet has never been sent off. Obviously Tettey is great at what he does, but it shows if you're smart and careful then it's not hard to refrain from getting a second yellow.

I love Emi and wouldn't want him to change anything about his game, but it shouldn't be accepted that him getting red cards is just collateral damage due to how he plays. The fact is he's not doing himself or the team any favours. If Alex Tettey can go pick up 65 consecutive yellow cards without picking up a red I'm pretty sure Buendia can.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pukki Blinders said:

Problem is if you average 6 or 7 bookings a season, which Emi has while he's been here, that's a guaranteed sending off every season based on those numbers, before you even take into account straight reds. 

Compare that with Alex Tettey, who has picked up 65 yellow cards over 9 seasons for the club yet has never been sent off. Obviously Tettey is great at what he does, but it shows if you're smart and careful then it's not hard to refrain from getting a second yellow.

I love Emi and wouldn't want him to change anything about his game, but it shouldn't be accepted that him getting red cards is just collateral damage due to how he plays. The fact is he's not doing himself or the team any favours. If Alex Tettey can go pick up 65 consecutive yellow cards without picking up a red I'm pretty sure Buendia can.

I was going to make exactly the same point about Tettey and Buendia. Perhaps we can get Tettey to chat to Emi about it and explain how it's done. What better way for Alex to kick off his coaching career? 

• Like 2

Emi is easily frustrated. His tenacity turns when things aren't going his way. He was a targeted man by Boro and they executed Warnock's "tactic" to perfection. Really the fault is with Farke. He should've known how they game was panning out. Emi was on a yellow for what...nearly 30 mins of playing time? Farke should have made tactical and personnel changes well before that and given the tide of the game and Emi walking a tightrope he should have been replaced.

That said the second yellow was harsh given the circumstances. Stroud couldn't have seen the collision otherwise he would have stopped play too send Emi off. So he must have relied on his assistant who really wasn't in the best position to see that in the middle of the park.

• Like 1