lake district canary

"We said he'd get sent off"

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

It's not just the price tag that puts teams off of buying Emi

And I will leave it at that

Why leave it at that? Your implications are disparaging to the player, unnecessarily so. It is down to the manager to take him off. There is no point in having an Emi on the pitch who can't play full on - he needs to be fully snapping at the heels of players, therein lies most of his effectivemess.  His effectiveness is his full on game - take that away by expecting him to hold back because he's been booked and he might as well not be on the pitch. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Why leave it at that? Your implications are disparaging to the player, unnecessarily so. It is down to the manager to take him off. There is no point in having an Emi on the pitch who can't play full on - he needs to be fully snapping at the heels of players, therein lies most of his effectivemess.  His effectiveness is his full on game - take that away by expecting him to hold back because he's been booked and he might as well not be on the pitch. 

He doesn't, 

He needs to manage his own game and understand he is more important to us on the pitch than leaving us short on it. 

I also agree that his temprament could be putting teams off parting with big cash. 

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Therein lies some of his effectiveness when we're not in possession. But he's got to learn when not to dive in. If you're on a yellow, don't dive in.

• Like 1

If a player has to be substituted every time he gets booked then he’s not worth £40 million. He has to learn to adapt his game once he’s on a yellow if he wants to make the most of his wonderful talent.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I love EMI, but the point is correct.  He has to play on the edge to be effective, yet either his technique when tackling or his judgement is not quite right.  Watching him I can’t work it out, I think he is genuinely unlucky, but I suspect that is because of my yellow and green lenses.

Being a dinosaur and a bit of a purist, I really can't understand what enjoyment and pride you can take from trying (and succeeding) in getting your opponents sent off. Where was the skill from Saville? Rolling on the floor as if you have got a broken leg after the most gentle of collisions. It's terribly frustrating when you find the referee has no clue when it comes to reading intent. Darnell Fisher played the man on a few occasions and wasn't even spoken too. The worst one being when he cleaned Cantwell out when making no attempt to play the ball and the commentators seemed to think it was a 'coming together'. 

• Like 3

Just now, First Wazzock said:

Being a dinosaur and a bit of a purist, I really can't understand what enjoyment and pride you can take from trying (and succeeding) in getting your opponents sent off. Where was the skill from Saville? Rolling on the floor as if you have got a broken leg after the most gentle of collisions. It's terribly frustrating when you find the referee has no clue when it comes to reading intent. Darnell Fisher played the man on a few occasions and wasn't even spoken too. The worst one being when he cleaned Cantwell out when making no attempt to play the ball and the commentators seemed to think it was a 'coming together'. 

The fact that Fisher didn’t even get spoken to was an absolute joke.

16 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I don't think his implications are disparaging at all; they're completely accurate. Any club thinking of buying Buendia, or any £40m player, will have reservations about a player who has now been sent off four times in two-and-a-half seasons.

As for the rest of your post, I agree with most of it. We know that his attitude and competitive nature makes him susceptible to silly cards, but it's also what turns him from a good player to excellent one. If he gets a yellow, you can't really take him off because he's so important to us, but at the same time you can't tell him to calm down because he won't be so effective. In most cases where the game is close, you have to just leave him to play his natural game and hope that he doesn't get a second.

I agree, it is a trait of Emi that he needs to work on as it is blackening his obvious talent. He looked frustrated from 10 mins in and disappeared for chunks of the game. Not the Emi we have seen while the Transfer Window had more time left. 

If Colin was aware then other Managers & Scoits are also aware. 

Emi will still be with us in the Prem next season

And their bench were roaring at Saville to 'stay down' to ensure Emi got the red.

When you're up against that you have to be cleverer when you're on a yellow.

• Like 1

It’s hardly ‘disparaging’ when it is true - Emi needs to learn to control himself.  He has been sent off 3 times since the restart, all totally unnecessary and no one else comes close. Teams and players will play up to his reputation and it is up to him not to give the ref a decision to make.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, First Wazzock said:

FW your opening statement, that's a contradiction.  It's dinosaurs like Colin that revel in that sort of thing, therefore making you the anti-dinosaur.  He has a PhD in playing the player and ref, rather than playing the game.  

Boro were going down last season and he did his usual and saved them.

Now they are challenging for a play off spot.

I don't like that style of football and know most of our supporters don't either. But you can't keep knocking the bloke for turning things around. Its pointless because his record is phenomenal.

• Like 2

You can’t sub him off every time he gets a yellow, because as said above he needs to learn how to manage himself once he gets a booking, and as I said in the match thread really should’ve done that by now, particularly as opposition teams like Boro will look to exploit that. It was silly to dive into a tackle when already booked, even if it was just a mistimed 50/50.

That said I do feel a bit for him in the sense that I don’t think either of his red cards this season were actually red cards. The clueless ref was conned into giving him one today and it wasn’t a dissimilar situation when he got sent off against Stoke either. He does need to learn though. We all know how poor our record of winning games is without him in the side (off the top of my head we’ve only won once without him since he made his debut?) and it’s really frustrating that he’s now going to miss our game against Swansea on Friday, the most important game of our season so far.

Edited by Pukki Blinders

It does seem that once Emi is booked he then gets sent off.  Has anyone done an analysis of the percentage of his bookings that lead to a red card?  It would allow an objective view on how much of an issue this actually is

11 minutes ago, Pukki Blinders said:

You can’t sub him off every time he gets a yellow, because as said above he needs to learn how to manage himself once he gets a booking, and as I said in the match thread really should’ve done that by now, particularly as opposition teams like Boro will look to exploit that. It was silly to dive into a tackle when already booked, even if it was just a mistimed 50/50.

That said I do feel a bit for him in the sense that I don’t think either of his red cards this season were actually red cards. The clueless ref was conned into giving him one today and it wasn’t a dissimilar situation when he got sent off against Stoke either. He does need to learn though. We all know how poor our record of winning games is without him in the side (off the top of my head we’ve only won once without him since he made his debut?) and it’s really frustrating that he’s now going to miss our game against Swansea on Friday, the most important game of our season so far.

Nope - away at Everton in the Premier League and away at Huddersfield this season. Plus a number of FA Cup games such as at home to Coventry this season and away to Preston and Burnley last season. 

Wonder how we might cover his suspension?....could well do two different things for either game...

3 options as i see it?

Skipp  McLean

Cantwell     Vrancic    Hernandez/Placeta

Pukki

Skipp  McLean

Dowell      Vrancic     Cantwell

Pukki

Rupp      Skipp    McLean

Cantwell                  Dowell/Hendz/Plach

Pukki

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s hardly ‘disparaging’ when it is true - Emi needs to learn to control himself.  He has been sent off 3 times since the restart, all totally unnecessary and no one else comes close. Teams and players will play up to his reputation and it is up to him not to give the ref a decision to make.

Sorry but that just wont happen, Emi will always be the way he is, its in his make up, in his nature, these things are  next to impossible to control. Im sure he himself more than anyone else knows whats happening and im sure he does his best to not let it happen but inevitably he will always have sendings off, its that simple. Similar players who had similar issues also never really  got over  their moments when red was staring them in the face.

Question obviously is, will any Prem side take a chance on buying such a player, knowing that this guy will lose a few matches each season thru suspensions. We will wait and see on that.

He will learn from it, he's still young. But going back to the dirty tactics, if you were up against Bueno what would do? Of course you'd be trying to aggravate him

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

I'm sorry but this is drivel. What he needs to be doing first and foremost is getting on the ball and setting up and scoring goals with his marvellous vision and skill. Yes, he needs to do his share of defensive work and pressing when we haven't got the ball, but he needs to do this without risking getting booked and sent off. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Nope - away at Everton in the Premier League and away at Huddersfield this season. Plus a number of FA Cup games such as at home to Coventry this season and away to Preston and Burnley last season. 

He played in that Everton game, so that makes the Huddersfield game on the opening day is the only time we’ve won a league match without him. 

Our record in the league without Emi:

P11 W1 D6 L4

9 points out of a possible 33. Doesn’t bode well (particularly for the Swansea game on Friday).

A collective failing for me. Emi should have worked out by now that going in for challenges like that on a yellow card is begging for trouble, and from that perspective he's let us down today.

However, as much as you can't expect Farke to sub him every time he gets a booking, he's played Warnock a few times now and must have known they would be up to those quite specific tricks today. Personally, I'm a little surprised that we didn't have any notable reaction to the aggressive man-marking they were employing on Buendia and Catnwell, which no doubt contributed to the frustrations.

The Championship is a wonderfully diverse and competitive league, which makes it so satisfying to get promoted automatically from. We failed as a team to deal with the Warnock playbook today and it's a case of dusting off and going again.

• Like 1