Started off nervously which is understandable, improved as the game went on and appeared much further forward-seemed to be in the box quite a lot!

Good to see the left back position being filled by a player who is a left back, not a midfielder.

Most players find it hard to bed in to our side. Some take half a season, 90 mins seems a bit early to judge, especially as the second 45 was decent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

Today’s result was mostly, for me, due to Emi and Todd never getting going. 

And Rupp being anonymous. 

Would still have Howson in our team at 33.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

8 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

What position is 33? Always thought he was more of an 8 myself. 

Edited by wcorkcanary

33 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Anyone criticising Giannoulis after that match are talking out of their ****.  As Farke said after the match, he needed a match to adjust, and on the basis of the 2nd half he is going to be a fine addition to the team. 

Of more concern to me was Hanley's performance; it showed no intelligence at all, by either him or our coaching staff.  Time and again he played into Colin's trap.  They allowed Hanley to have the ball, it wasted time and allowed them to rest.  Surely Farke et al could see that.  If they couldn't well, disappointing doesn't cover it.  In addition he had a horrible 10 minute period in the 2nd half where a more adventurous opposition would have scored plenty.  Perhaps the sooner Sorensen is converted into a CB the better.  

I think it needed one of the midfielders to come and make Hanley give them the ball. Rupp has a decent first half but completely disappeared after half time and too often Hanley was the one bringing the ball over the half way line which Boro were content for him to do. 

it was really crying out for one of our midfielders to drive through the middle and have a shot but they don’t/won’t do it. 

16 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He played well today, but I wouldn't have him in our team over Rupp, McLean and Sorensen based on their performances this season.

As for Giannoulis, I was a little underwhelmed if I'm honest. That may be to do with having high expectations of his marauding runs rather than his performance, or possibly because of how well Boro did a job on us, because they didn't really allow us to do anything going forward. 

But you can't be too harsh on him considering that none of our attacking players were able to produce anything today, so expecting Giannoulis to unlock the door is maybe a little unrealistic, especially on his debut.

• Like 1

Had a nervous start and looked off the pace, but had a decent second half that hinted at a really decent player in there. Was certainly fit and willing, making sprints up late on even when we're down to ten.

There's a lot more to come from him.

• Like 1

Sorensen would have offered more going forward because of his familiarity with the movement of the other players.

Giannoulis’ eagerness to impress showed in the first -half when he was in the vicinity of the right side of Boro’s penalty area during one attacking moment.

Sorensen should have replaced him at half-time, as we were creating very little down the right side with Aarons being marked out of the game.

Little point in having ‘ a strong bench ‘, ( as everyone would have alluded to pre kick-off), if you can’t use them to good effect to win that kind of match.

Vrancic never looks as though he has more than 45 minutes in him, so he could have been replaced at half-time as well.

There is a regular habit occurring with Norwich playing poorly after the half-time break.

High time Farke addressed this.

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

I think it needed one of the midfielders to come and make Hanley give them the ball. Rupp has a decent first half but completely disappeared after half time and too often Hanley was the one bringing the ball over the half way line which Boro were content for him to do. 

it was really crying out for one of our midfielders to drive through the middle and have a shot but they don’t/won’t do it. 

Vrancic did precisely that twice in the first half. Unfortunately they were both off target. 

It was unfortunate really that he was making his debut against a Boro side that seemed determined to stifle our full-backs. Max Aarons on the other side had one of the quietest games I’ve ever seen him have.

You can see from the flashes he showed in the second half though that there’s a good player there. With a little run in the team hopefully he’ll be able to improve game on game and get towards the levels the club clearly think he’s capable of.

• Like 1

Did better second half than first, but you can’t judge a new player by their debut as you need to give them time to get used to playing with their new team. Maybe see how he does after playing 900 minutes for us, not 90

Edited by HazzaJet

I said before the game we should stick with Sorensen and I still think that. Dimi did okay but offered little as an outlet, part of that was due to Boros tactics. Certainly will have to give him a few games before we judge, after the red card he seemed to get forward a bit now which is what we need from our fullbacks

18 hours ago, Clint said:

The question was how did he play today and I’d say not very well. He’ll be rated ‘in the papers’ on this match in isolation and will probably be 5/10 in most.

However, it was his first match after only a few days in the squad so I’d expect him to improve. He’s going to have to be better on Tues and a lot better by next Friday night though.

I agree. He looked quite timid and a bit lightweight. There were a couple of positive attacking bits of play which was encouraging.  

It’s early days and hopefully he’ll acclimatise sooner rather than later. 

All a bit un-Farke like to rush a player into starting so soon after signing, especially after the way he had described Sorensen's performance against Bristol City.

It made no sense.

You can't blame the new boy, but we were diminished by Sorensen's absence, imo.

I thought he maybe tried too hard at times.

Sometimes players need to doing the boring simple things first then look to impress going forward.

Suspect he may start v Millwall but Sorenson plays v Swansea.

That Aarons had a poor game on the right speaks volumes. Give the new guy an uninterrupted run of games before any judgement is passed.

• Like 1