If Sorensen had put in that performance we'd say it was one of his poorest of the season. 

Felt he have the ball away more often than not. Early obviously, but plenty of room for improvement. 

I thought he played pretty well - certainly did little wrong, put it that way.  I get the impression  he’s going to be a scapegoat, though, for no apparent reason.

Today’s result was mostly, for me, due to Emi and Todd never getting going. 

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

Struggled and gave possession away but he will need time to adapt. Literally thrown in and was surprised. Sorenson didn’t deserve to be dropped 

Thought he struggled, not a criticism of him but was surprised Farke threw him straight in against an anti footballing side like Middlesbrough. I would have brought Sorenson on for him in the 2nd half when it was obvious he wasn't effecting the game much. 

Had some very promising moments in the second half. Give him a chance and he's sure to come good.

Very good for his first appearance in English football against a vile team to play against. Looked a lot more solid defensively than Quintilla ever did. Actually looks like he tries to stop the opposition from crossing the ball. 

Edited by Thirsty Lizard

Certainly better second half, but to be fair Cantwell had one poor game ahead of him so hard to say if we’d been out of second gear he’d look better. Nothing wrong and we kept a clean sheet.

Promising. Not a game for marauding wing backs though.

Obviously not on the same wavelength as the rest of the team yet so there were misplaced passes but he didn't do much wrong. Had some dangerous moments going forward in the second half.

I assume assume the club will have him bulking up.

Did no worse than the rest of the team today, Boro outplayed us and kept us quiet. Not a fair game to judge his potential on.

Did fine in a poorer team performance. Decent in a couple of attacking plays and clearly has a bit of pace and composure about him.

I know it’s Giannoulis’ first game but I was kind of expecting him to do a bit more - given he pipped Sorenson to the spot after his best league game for us against Bristol. 

Seems weird to throw him in straight away and then see him struggle as he did for the first 45. It felt like he gave the ball away 75% of the time when passing forwards. 

Second half he seemed to find his feet a bit better with a few good runs forwards. Hopefully this initial game will settle him in now, and given how ineffective Aarons also was on the other side too it clearly wasn’t the best game for our full backs in general!

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

Tough one because Sorenson was such a rock and I would not have been surprised to see him start. 

I think though the argument to be made is that if we rate him and he needs to play to get up to speed then we had to take the plunge. i though there was one moment in the second half when he burst into the box and got the pass away to Rupp which showed he's got it in him. 

Edited by birchfest

25 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Good to see I was right!!!!

People have been asked what they thought of his performance and are answering. Saying 'I dont think he was great' isnt scapegoating, learn the meaning of the word.

• Like 4

Awful first half, improved second half. All in all I think it was a mistake starting him in that game but saw glimpses of his attacking threat. 

Lasted 96 mins in a tough physical match. Looks like he has an engine on him.

Early days but looks ok, not sure about EPL quality though.

I'm not going to judge a player on their first performance, especially in a game of rugby like that. I was both slightly disappointed for Sorensen and slightly excited to see a new signing in action. I was ultimately a bit underwhelmed by his lack of quality on the ball, but not much worse than a number of our other players. I think we missed Sorensen's passing ability as well as his familiarity with the way we play.

• Like 2

Anyone criticising Giannoulis after that match are talking out of their ****.  As Farke said after the match, he needed a match to adjust, and on the basis of the 2nd half he is going to be a fine addition to the team. 

Of more concern to me was Hanley's performance; it showed no intelligence at all, by either him or our coaching staff.  Time and again he played into Colin's trap.  They allowed Hanley to have the ball, it wasted time and allowed them to rest.  Surely Farke et al could see that.  If they couldn't well, disappointing doesn't cover it.  In addition he had a horrible 10 minute period in the 2nd half where a more adventurous opposition would have scored plenty.  Perhaps the sooner Sorensen is converted into a CB the better.  

The question was how did he play today and I’d say not very well. He’ll be rated ‘in the papers’ on this match in isolation and will probably be 5/10 in most.

However, it was his first match after only a few days in the squad so I’d expect him to improve. He’s going to have to be better on Tues and a lot better by next Friday night though.