Sign in to follow this  
Pugin

Expecting Warnock to get his side to kick us out of rhythm

I think Warnock's game plan will include leaving as much as possible on our players at every opportunity. It is probably the tactic which gives Middlesbrough the best chance of success, and Warnock has never shied away from brutality and intimidation. We shall see...

Edited by Pugin

Sit deep, leave one in at every opportunity and break at pace. That'll be the template.

He's schooled Farke today, to be fair. They often talk about men v boys but sorry to say on today only it's boy v man in the dugouts.

19 fouls by them, 10 by us, and we've got more cards. Streetwise, to put it mildly.

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

19 fouls by them, 10 by us, and we've got more cards. Streetwise, to put it mildly.

About 30 others not given. This is disgusting to watch.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

He's schooled Farke today, to be fair. They often talk about men v boys but sorry to say on today only it's boy v man in the dugouts.

Nah. He schooled the ref, not Farke.

If he'd schooled Farke, he'd have been able to get more than a point against us with 10 men in one of our poorest performances.

• Like 1

19 Middlesboro fouls to Norwich's 12.
I don't think Buendia is the player for this type of game.
Still, nice that Rotherham put 3 past them even if we didn't ! That's 3 games in a row now that Middlesboro haven't scored.

2 hours ago, Pugin said:

I think Warnock's game plan will include leaving as much as possible on our players at every opportunity. It is probably the tactic which gives Middlesbrough the best chance of success, and Warnock has never shied away from brutality and intimidation. We shall see...

you weren't wrong!

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Nah. He schooled the ref, not Farke.

If he'd schooled Farke, he'd have been able to get more than a point against us with 10 men in one of our poorest performances.

The ref helped for sure, but most were calling for subs, and many for Emi's sub, long before the red card (I called it at halftime and I rarely get anything right). We played the ideal way for Warnock's gameplay and didn't adapt. Maybe he would have done, but by waiting we never got the chance to see.

Two points dropped from the sideline today for me.

50 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Bunch of thugs vs team of footballers more like. No protection from a weak ref.

Commentator made a point that Colin and Sweetchuck were talking jovial before the game. Knowing that Colin loves mind games, virtually guarantee that he gor in the ear and mind of the ref before the game, without the ref even realising it. Absolute master at that

9 times out of 10 quality will prevail over 'thuggery' but every so often it works. Thing is you could have dated this post 10 or 15 years ago, nothing has changed from Warnock and Farke will (should) have been expecting it and primed his players accordingly, perhaps try a bit of play acting ourselves.

It's the best way to play Norwich though. Watford did it very well and Millwall probably will on Tuesday.

I was calling for some strength, pace and directness much earlier as Emi and Todd were just not in the match. I’d have taken Todd off at half time, given how little joy he was having against Fisher, which at least would’ve disrupted Warnock’s tactics.

Placheta, Hernandez and Idah could’ve had a big impact if brought on much earlier as Boro were set-up to defend against a completely different style of play. Today’s match was crying out for a plan B, which we had but didn’t use.

Also, Vrancic making way first every match is driving me up the wall. He was the only player today who looked like creating anything. When Emi got sent off, we could’ve just dropped him back and we’d have retained possession better. He’s also the most likely man to pick out a pass to set us away on the break. How Todd stayed on longer is completely beyond me.