lappinitup

*****Official Match Thread v Middlesbrough*****

Not a great half.  It’s never easy to play against a Warnock side, though - including the usual niggly fouls, slow goal-kicks and throw-ins - don’t think I’ve ever seen an overly exciting game against him.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Well that was.. Pretty poor. Ok, it was awful.

How on earth Vrancic did not score is beyond me. Once again we go in without a single shot on target.

I mean, would I take a 0-0 draw from this match? Yes. Would I be pleased if we carry on playing this way and get a draw? No, but I would not be too upset. If anything a draw given how poor we have been would be a decent result

Giannoulis not overlapping as much as i though he might. In the absence of that we MUST get get Hernandez on down this left....either for Cantwell...or  move Cantwell inside for Vrancic in which case then Boro have a decision to make as to whether Fischer continues to man mark Cantwell,leaving space for Hernandez

Problem comes when teams sit back we don’t need two holding midfielders, we need to push one further up to support the front three to cause them more problems.

I’d be thinking of pushing Rupp further forward, little disappointed in the new LB at the moment, still only his first 45 minutes hopefully will grow into the game more the second half.

At least we have options from the bench. I think some pace and directness is probably what I’d required. See how their tactics cope with Placheta, Hernandez and Idah! 

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Giannoulis not overlapping as much as i though he might. In the absence of that we MUST get get Hernandez on down this left....either for Cantwell...or  move Cantwell inside for Vrancic in which case then Boro have a decision to make as to whether Fischer continues to man mark Cantwell,leaving space for Hernandez

It is debut not his 10th game you know 🙄

Was that true I wonder.

Warnock had an interview with us in 1998. He thought the interview was going really well until asked would the fans like his kind of football. After giving it some thought he replied ‘ what winning ‘.

Emi and Todd not at their best so far today, the ball isn’t sticking/passes not coming off - but hopefully it’ll come. 
I’d like to see Dowell on for Mario for the last 30 minutes.

I think Boro have put in a lot of effort to stop us that half. Fisher and Howson taking turns to man mark Cantwell. They have kept Aarons in his own half which means Emi can't drift inside and cause havoc.

I think after an hour they will tire and we will score and take it on from there.

Typical Colin team. Man marking Cantwell and Buendia has really stifled our creativity, and they've got Fletcher and Assombalonga on the bench too. This has got a mega frustrating 0-1 all over it the way we've been playing. Hanley our best player by a mile so far.

6 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Neither Rupp or Skipp doing badly. You thinking to replace the new guy at LB?

Yes 

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

Typical Colin team. Man marking Cantwell and Buendia has really stifled our creativity, and they've got Fletcher and Assombalonga on the bench too. This has got a mega frustrating 0-1 all over it the way we've been playing. Hanley our best player by a mile so far.

One thing about Hanley that always surprises me is his pace

Man catching up to full speed Bolaise like its nothing 

Started well, but stopped moving the ball quickly against a very defensively-minded team.

I think Middlesbrough may tired in the second half, so would expect us to bring a bit of pace on around the 60 minute mark.

Frustrating stuff. Boro doing a proper job on us at the moment. Emi and Todd starting to look aggravated. We really need to find a way to get them and the two full-backs into the game a lot more. You get the feeling that if Boro nick a goal then it is going to be a real uphill struggle to get back in the game.

This game is there for the taking though. Boro offer very little attacking threat and we have seen a couple of times Mario in particular has found some space. It is there on the pitch we just need to do a significantly better job of finding it.

3 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Was that true I wonder.

Warnock had an interview with us in 1998. He thought the interview was going really well until asked would the fans like his kind of football. After giving it some thought he replied ‘ what winning ‘.

I think that gets trotted out every time we play a Warnock team and it's on Sky.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Absolutely. How people still question his pace is beyond me.

Edited by Feedthewolf

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

What difference does that make?...he's an attacking full back...1st game or 100th?

Difference is hes not 100 percent confident of his team mates and what the manager wants him to do. Sorry know it all🙃

7 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The Sky commentator is incredibly annoying. He sounds like he wants a round of applause for stating the obvious. 

Gary Weaver whoever he might be also stated our ambition is to be a Top 26 club.

4 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

On iFollow it helps that the Radio Norfolk commentary team are reassuringly biased 🙃

Thanks for reminding me. I'll switch over

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

And Keith Andrews said on Sky that Hanley isn't blessed with pace. He is an idiot