Jump to content
lappinitup

*****Official Match Thread v Middlesbrough*****

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Me neither, take away his fiestenss in the challenge and you lose half his worth. The lesson HAS to be if he gets booked, take him off.

Virtually every single person on here was saying that. Thing is Emi wasn't even playing well so could have been subbed on performance alone.

At least he'll be back for Swansea as Millwall will be much the same as today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We played as well as could be expected in the circumstances, especially as it was 10 vs 12 for 30 minutes. All our runs were stopped with rugby tackles off the ball. The ref bought everything; half the fouls they did went unpunished and half the fouls he gave against us were wrong. That's the most one-sided officiating I've seen for a long time. He wasn't just poor, he was totally biased.

Tactically, we were spot on. It's not Farke's fault if we can't test the keeper from the good positions we created. There was only one team in it when 11 vs 12. Pukki was a little off the pace and Cantwell had a poor game, but understandably given that he was being constantly manhandled. I'm not sure what genius tactics people are proposing to counter the cheating and thuggery?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just one of those days. A pity that some feel the need to turn in the manager and players, we weren’t quite on it which happens across a 46 game season and came up against a manager and team who came to stifle and frustrate us. And of course the referee was poor and played into their hands. It happens. 

Just got to take the point and the clean sheet and move on. Don’t let it ruin your weekend! 

Edited by Gordon Bennett
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Virtually every single person on here was saying that. Thing is Emi wasn't even playing well so could have been subbed on performance alone.

At least he'll be back for Swansea as Millwall will be much the same as today. 

He’s not back for Swansea. Two game van apparently as it’s his second red. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jim Smith said:

He’s not back for Swansea. Two game van apparently as it’s his second red. 

Is that correct ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jim Smith said:

He’s not back for Swansea. Two game van apparently as it’s his second red. 

Oh ****.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Petriix said:

We played as well as could be expected in the circumstances, especially as it was 10 vs 12 for 30 minutes. All our runs were stopped with rugby tackles off the ball. The ref bought everything; half the fouls they did went unpunished and half the fouls he gave against us were wrong. That's the most one-sided officiating I've seen for a long time. He wasn't just poor, he was totally biased.

Tactically, we were spot on. It's not Farke's fault if we can't test the keeper from the good positions we created. There was only one team in it when 11 vs 12. Pukki was a little off the pace and Cantwell had a poor game, but understandably given that he was being constantly manhandled. I'm not sure what genius tactics people are proposing to counter the cheating and thuggery?

I beg to differ I think tactically Farke got fine over in the second half. They got on top, he didn’t respond at all (as remains a bit of a weakness of his great coach though he is), our players got frustrated and dragged out of shape and it culminated in Emi getting his red. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CANARYKING said:

Is that correct ?

Apparently so. I didn’t realise that was the rule but it appears correct. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

We tried using the width of our fullbacks on multiple occasions - it wasn't working. The fact Max could rarely get above the halfway line makes me doubt any changes would have been any more effective, I'm guessing Farke believed the same.

We started well and Vrancic should really have scored. Different game from them.

Emi's also capable of playing wider and not long before the sending off was todd and emi linking up with a one two putting emi clear down the right. 

I defer to pretty much everyone on this forum (apart from City1st...) on tactics, but surely that was Warnock's plan, aided by Giannoulis starting on the left and having trouble getting into the game. Normally Sorensen is a powerful outlet on the left (albeit ending up turning onto his right foot) and Aarons is twisting defenders inside out on the right. I only saw the first half but we had neither today instead of usually both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Virtually every single person on here was saying that. Thing is Emi wasn't even playing well so could have been subbed on performance alone.

At least he'll be back for Swansea as Millwall will be much the same as today. 

That's called hindsight.

If Farke takes our best players off because they pick up a yellow card, and then you go on to draw the game, you can guarantee he would be getting the same level of criticism for taking off a player who has consistently changed the game at this level.

Thought the yellow was harsh today, but eventually Emi will learn to be a little bit wiser.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So glad that's over. What a terrible watch. Made particularly painful due to the fat little gnome that calls himself a referee doing his best impersonation of an incompetent moron prancing around the pitch.

That said, when on Earth is Emi going to learn? 3 seasons he's been here now and he's still getting stupid red cards. Yes, the referee was conned into it but why would you go to ground and slide in like that when you're already on a yellow? He's a f*cking brilliant player but man he needs to sort this side of his game out. Embarrassing from the referee. The fact he played on shows that he had no intention of brandishing the yellow card until Saville started crying and getting in his face. Ridiculous. 

Poor performance overall. Boro very much did a job on us. Ultimately though we've taken 4 points off them this season, are still top of the league, and can rest assured that we don't have to watch Dinosaur ball on a weekly basis. Move onto Tuesday where we can definitely take 3 points. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Me neither, take away his fiestenss in the challenge and you lose half his worth. The lesson HAS to be if he gets booked, take him off.

Don't agree at all, imagine if you're the opposition? Get Buendia a yellow by the time we've played 10 minutes and they'll take him off, that will help us. How about if he gets taken off at Carrow road in the middle of the first half after getting booked, plenty of chants of "you don't know what you're doing "

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was a weird one, football eh? I thought they contained us without ever really looking like we were in danger, if Mario toe pokes that to the keepers right and we start 1-0 it would have completely changed the dynamic. Such soft soft second yellow, frankly it ruined the match and the implications for the next two with no Buendia is extremely frustrating. 

 

However, Champions and promoted teams did what we managed today, get something from a game when the odds had been pushed against us. For all the bluster of the Sky commentators about how bold Middlesbrough looked, we shut them out completely. The frustration is that down to 10 made it an impossible task against a side that looked like 0-0 was their primary goal. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I know nothing about football according to T Lizard!

it was a poor game, poorly refereed, but we didn’t concede and got a point. Many teams now know how city play, so get used to it, there are a few like this to come no doubt. We are still 7 points clear on top, we have the squad to win this league with or without Emi, who doesnt  appear to have learnt that he has to keep his frustrations in check. Yes it was a soft red, but when you are on a yellow card you simply cannot tackle like that, whether you pull out at the last minute or not! It was the one decision that Stroud maybe got right.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, City 2nd said:

As I know nothing about football according to T Lizard!

it was a poor game, poorly refereed, but we didn’t concede and got a point. Many teams now know how city play, so get used to it, there are a few like this to come no doubt. We are still 7 points clear on top, we have the squad to win this league with or without Emi, who doesnt  appear to have learnt that he has to keep his frustrations in check. Yes it was a soft red, but when you are on a yellow card you simply cannot tackle like that, whether you pull out at the last minute or not! It was the one decision that Stroud maybe got right.  

You must not say that.

We didn't win because they were dirty and cheated and the ref is rubbish and a Bournemouth fan. And Warnock is horrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Emi Buendia banned for two games by the way because it’s his 2nd red card of the season. Meaning he misses Millwall and obviously Swansea away afterwards.

Genuinely don’t think there could have been a much worse outcome from today’s game. So f*cking frustrating.

Edited by Pukki Blinders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I beg to differ I think tactically Farke got fine over in the second half. They got on top, he didn’t respond at all (as remains a bit of a weakness of his great coach though he is), our players got frustrated and dragged out of shape and it culminated in Emi getting his red. 

They didn't get on top, they simply had a couple of forays into our half for the first time, but left enormous spaces in behind for us to exploit on the break. We kept almost cutting them open, only to have a whole string of off the ball fouls not awarded. That's what frustrated our players. We looked far more dangerous in that period, while we comfortably defended every single one of their attacks. They nicked a point by cheating. That's not tactical superiority.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I defer to pretty much everyone on this forum (apart from City1st...) on tactics, but surely that was Warnock's plan, aided by Giannoulis starting on the left and having trouble getting into the game. Normally Sorensen is a powerful outlet on the left (albeit ending up turning onto his right foot) and Aarons is twisting defenders inside out on the right. I only saw the first half but we had neither today instead of usually both.

At last someone has noticed what actually happened rather than the FIFA21 guff we get on here . 
Aside from a standard shape Colin employed two main defensive tactics - 1 to stop the full backs going forward 2 to man mark aka distrupt our two best attacking midfield players 
Out of possession the boro players covered wider areas and stopped the full backs . They marked players rather than areas all over the pitch. 
Defensively boro sat higher. 
Slightly worryingly Barnsley did the same . 
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

At last someone has noticed what actually happened rather than the FIFA21 guff we get on here . 
Aside from a standard shape Colin employed two main defensive tactics - 1 to stop the full backs going forward 2 to man mark aka distrupt our two best attacking midfield players 
Out of possession the boro players covered wider areas and stopped the full backs . They marked players rather than areas all over the pitch. 
Defensively boro sat higher. 
Slightly worryingly Barnsley did the same . 
 

You mean I was right?!?!?! Bl**dy 'ell!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Such a poor game. 

 

Warnock certainly got his boys to do  a job on us today. 

 

Silly from Emi, harsh 2nd yellow in hindsight but I do wonder if Emi's temperament puts the big teams off making a move. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Petriix said:

They didn't get on top, they simply had a couple of forays into our half for the first time, but left enormous spaces in behind for us to exploit on the break. We kept almost cutting them open, only to have a whole string of off the ball fouls not awarded. That's what frustrated our players. We looked far more dangerous in that period, while we comfortably defended every single one of their attacks. They nicked a point by cheating. That's not tactical superiority.

It’s been a common theme in quite a number of our homes games that in the period 50-70 minutes, often after a tactical change, the opposition has started to get on top and we have been slow to react. They haven’t always scored and we’ve often gone on to win the games but it still happens too often for my liking. Today, I felt we lost control of the midfield for about 15 minutes leading up to Emis red card. We were ragged and players were getting frustrated. For me, Farke (excellent coach) should be reading the game better in these situations and making more proactive changes but he is still sometimes slow to do anything. 

Similarly, he should have foreseen Emis previous red card at Stoke whete there was no need for him (or Pukki who got injured) to still be on the pitch with us 3-0 up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On reflection it is point.  Middlesbrough did a job on us, as effective as they I did not feel they were going to score, and ultimately it is a point against the team in seventh.  Onto the next game, a real shame about Buendia.

Edited by Newtopia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least 7 people were champing at the bit on this forum at 55 minutes in for subs. Whether he should’ve taken EMI off is debatable but he was being marked out of the game. What’s the point of bringing Idah on at 87 mins ? 

Hindsight wonderful but at 60 mins Buendia off for Plachetta - Vrancic off for Onel - Pukki off for Idah at 75 mins. Sorenson on for Todd. 🙂

we looked better with 10 men tbh...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

It’s been a common theme in quite a number of our homes games that in the period 50-70 minutes, often after a tactical change, the opposition has started to get on top and we have been slow to react. They haven’t always scored and we’ve often gone on to win the games but it still happens too often for my liking. Today, I felt we lost control of the midfield for about 15 minutes leading up to Emis red card. We were ragged and players were getting frustrated. For me, Farke (excellent coach) should be reading the game better in these situations and making more proactive changes but he is still sometimes slow to do anything. 

Similarly, he should have foreseen Emis previous red card at Stoke whete there was no need for him (or Pukki who got injured) to still be on the pitch with us 3-0 up. 

If Farke done these things you said he should do on top of what he already does and it produced what you claim it would have produced then Farke wouldn't be managing us, he'd be managing Barcelona, or better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, hogesar said:

If Farke done these things you said he should do on top of what he already does and it produced what you claim it would have produced then Farke wouldn't be managing us, he'd be managing Barcelona, or better.

Exactly, these things appear obvious in hindsight - while still being completely unproven.

 

Posters always clamour for subs on here after about 60 minutes. It doesn’t mean they would actually make a difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I defer to pretty much everyone on this forum (apart from City1st...) on tactics, but surely that was Warnock's plan, aided by Giannoulis starting on the left and having trouble getting into the game. Normally Sorensen is a powerful outlet on the left (albeit ending up turning onto his right foot) and Aarons is twisting defenders inside out on the right. I only saw the first half but we had neither today instead of usually both.

Would have brought on Placheta and maybe Hernandez earlier and played more direct using they're pace. They had nullified our movement out wide.They were getting tired in the last 15 mins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Exactly, these things appear obvious in hindsight - while still being completely unproven.

 

Posters always clamour for subs on here after about 60 minutes. It doesn’t mean they would actually make a difference.

Why are posters clamouring for subs at around 60 minutes nearly every home game then? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...