lappinitup

*****Official Match Thread v Middlesbrough*****

1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Surprised but pleased the Greek guy is playing. If Farke has the opportunity to play Sorenson it will be interesting to see who he brings off 

Great to have an elite back-up for all positions in Sorensen !

• Like 1

There will be disappointments  between now and the end of the season, but when you look at the squad available and about to become fully available to us, combined with how we've got through the injury  crisis to be top right now, we do look very well poised indeed. 

1 minute ago, lappinitup said:

Have to feel a bit sorry for Soresen, didn't deserve to be dropped.

No he didnt, the consequence of being such a versatile player

Sorenson isn’t a long term left back option and despite being good overall, was pretty ropey last weekend. The new guy is quite clearly our first choice left back so why wouldn’t he play? 

I also think their signing of Bolasie may have potentially fast tracked a start.

Edited by Clint

1 minute ago, lappinitup said:

Have to feel a bit sorry for Soresen, didn't deserve to be dropped.

Yep I’m surprised he was dropped too. Farke described his last league game versus Bristol as the best performance from a left back in the league this season... however, excited to see Giannoulis straight in and a proper left back now in that spot - and he certainly must’ve trained well to immediately dislodge Sorenson!

9 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Surprised but pleased the Greek guy is playing. If Farke has the opportunity to play Sorenson it will be interesting to see who he brings off 

I'd be surprised if Rupp plays the full 90 bearing in mind he's coming back from a hammie. Suspect Sorensen will come on at 60 or so in Rupp's place.

• Like 1

In his penultimate game Sorensen was outstanding .... Farke said as much.

Last week, against Barnsley, he looked a bit jaded. A rest was due.

It's not really being dropped when the player held a position for which he was stand in only.

The credit he built up during that stint will have served his confidence well enough for him not to be unduly put out by today's omission, imo.

5 minutes ago, Van wink said:

No he didnt, the consequence of being such a versatile player

He's not dropped he's  rested or rotated. Dropped insinuates hes been left out due  to  performance.....he hasnt.

7 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Great to have an elite back-up for all positions in Sorensen !

I was going to say, looking at how he played at left back I reckon you've got someone who could cover the whole defensive line, mainly play defensive midfield, probably do a very good job as a box-to-box central midfielder and at a push I suspect there could even be a slightly unorthodox number 10 or right-winger/right-midfielder in there.

• Like 1

Love this line up. Two quick fullbacks for width and two mobile CDMs allowing them licence to roam. Really looking forward to the game!

8 minutes ago, Clint said:

Sorenson isn’t a long term left back option and despite being good overall, was pretty ropey last weekend. The new guy is quite clearly our first choice left back so why wouldn’t he play? 

I also think their signing of Bolasie may have potentially fast tracked a start.

Made 13 appearances for Sporting before joining Boro, 1 goal and 0 assists.

I would expect him to be pretty rusty, but even though he may only have had one or two seasons in which he was a real unit and fantastic player.. The second divison may bring him back to his best.

Are we sure Rupp is not Ruppcic or something? Or Vrancic should be Vranupp?? Apart from the slightly different hairstyle, they look like twins on that!

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

I was going to say, looking at how he played at left back I reckon you've got someone who could cover the whole defensive line, mainly play defensive midfield, probably do a very good job as a box-to-box central midfielder and at a push I suspect there could even be a slightly unorthodox number 10 or right-winger/right-midfielder in there.

Correct, he's  a real player, great control, always seems unhurried, tough tackle, strong. Great find by recruitment dept. Super value for money. 

Hopefully Bolasie will be in Giannoulis's pocket

11 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Decent 9-a-side lineup , isn’t it

I would be confident, that even with those 9, we'd still kick 1p5wich's backside in a game

• Haha 1

Dont think we should be shoehorning Sorenson in for the sake of it?

Is he our first choice left back?...no

Is he a first choice central mid, ahead of Rupp ,off the back of one cup game playing there vs Coventry?.....no

McLean will be back on Tuesday, so that will be even less of an argument

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:
9 minutes ago, Clint said:

Made 13 appearances for Sporting before joining Boro, 1 goal and 0 assists

And that would have been in a strong team for its league  .... mainly playing on the front foot.