Sign in to follow this  
Feedthewolf

Team for Middlesbrough?

Couldn't see a post about this, and seeing as the presser has yielded a lot of positive news on the injury front, it's worth thinking about how we might line up tomorrow.

I said on another thread that I thought Sorensen was likely to start at LB again, although DF has said that both Giannoulis and Quintilla are available for tomorrow... don't see much point in them both being on the bench as they play the same position. Maybe Giannoulis will start? Farke talked positively about his match fitness in the presser.

So how's about:

Krul
Aarons Hanley Gibson Giannoulis
Skipp Rupp
Buendia Vrancic Cantwell
Pukki

Which leaves an extremely strong bench of nine from the following eleven: Barden, Quintilla, Zimmermann, Mumba, Tettey, Sorensen, Placheta, Dowell, Hernandez, Martin, Idah.

Our squad is now looking obscenely strong. No room for underachievers in there!

Edited by Feedthewolf

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Couldn't see a post about this, and seeing as the presser has yielded a lot of positive news on the injury front, it's worth thinking about how we might line up tomorrow.

I said on another thread that I thought Sorensen was likely to start at LB again, although DF has said that both Giannoulis and Quintilla are available for tomorrow... don't see much point in them both being on the bench as they play the same position. Maybe Giannoulis will start? Farke talked positively about his match fitness in the presser.

So how's about:

Krul
Skipp Rupp
Buendia Vrancic Cantwell
Pukki

Which leaves an extremely strong bench of nine from the following eleven: Barden, Quintilla, Zimmermann, Mumba, Tettey, Sorensen, Placheta, Dowell, Hernandez, Martin, Idah.

Our squad is now looking obscenely strong. No room for underachievers in there!

I'm thinking almost the same, but with Sorensen on instead of Rupp. Suspect Rupp will get 30 minutes or so to get more game time in his legs without throwing him in at full tilt, whilst Sorensen finally gets a bit of a chance to show what he's got in the middle.

• Like 1

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

I'm thinking almost the same, but with Sorensen on instead of Rupp. Suspect Rupp will get 30 minutes or so to get more game time in his legs without throwing him in at full tilt, whilst Sorensen finally gets a bit of a chance to show what he's got in the middle.

Strangely, I had Sorensen in there but then switched him with Rupp after reading Farke's comments in the presser:

"Jacob has got used to the left-back position so quickly but he would need time to get used to his rhythm in the midfield role as well. He's very intelligent but we have lots of competition in those areas, Oliver Skipp, Alex Tettey, Lukas Rupp and Kenny McLean."

Suggests he'd rather ease him into midfield life gradually from the bench. Now we have two fit left-backs we can work on introducing him into the midfield mix. With all the upcoming fixtures I'd expect Skipp, McLean, Rupp and Sorensen to all get game time there (with Tettey being the bench option unless we get injuries).

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

Strangely, I had Sorensen in there but then switched him with Rupp after reading Farke's comments in the presser:

"Jacob has got used to the left-back position so quickly but he would need time to get used to his rhythm in the midfield role as well. He's very intelligent but we have lots of competition in those areas, Oliver Skipp, Alex Tettey, Lukas Rupp and Kenny McLean."

Suggests he'd rather ease him into midfield life gradually from the bench. Now we have two fit left-backs we can work on introducing him into the midfield mix. With all the upcoming fixtures I'd expect Skipp, McLean, Rupp and Sorensen to all get game time there (with Tettey being the bench option unless we get injuries).

It's an intriguing one. Sorensen needs game time in the middle to get his rhythm there, but is match fit. Rupp, on the other hand, isn't match fit but would be coming back where he left off in position terms. As much as I've championed Rupp on here and indeed the FB page, we also need to have a decent look at Sorensen in his intended position soon, IMO.

5 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

It's an intriguing one. Sorensen needs game time in the middle to get his rhythm there, but is match fit. Rupp, on the other hand, isn't match fit but would be coming back where he left off in position terms. As much as I've championed Rupp on here and indeed the FB page, we also need to have a decent look at Sorensen in his intended position soon, IMO.

Yeah absolutely. He'll definitely feature in some capacity, as it's unfair to effectively 'drop' him after his outstanding performances. I'd imagine Rupp and Sorensen will share the 90 minutes alongside Skipp, but my instinct says that Rupp will take the bulk of it. We'll see.

This is actually a game where I wouldn't be averse to telling Skipp "not remotely form-related, son, but you've put a lot of games in for us and it's your first full season as a regular first-teamer. You've done brilliantly for us, but we want you fresh for the second half of the season, so you'll be on the bench for the next couple of weeks to freshen up a bit", then put Sorensen and Rupp together. I do think those two could make a really balanced and progressive pairing that don't leave things lacking in defence.

• Like 1

Rupp was playing really well before his injury, a couple of games to get back into his stride but we should definitely be giving him the chance to get back to full match fitness, a great asset.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

This is actually a game where I wouldn't be averse to telling Skipp "not remotely form-related, son, but you've put a lot of games in for us and it's your first full season as a regular first-teamer. You've done brilliantly for us, but we want you fresh for the second half of the season, so you'll be on the bench for the next couple of weeks to freshen up a bit", then put Sorensen and Rupp together. I do think those two could make a really balanced and progressive pairing that don't leave things lacking in defence.

Good idea

I think Skipp will definitely be one of the midfield two. Rupp and Sorenson to share the game.

Have to start with Sorensen, the more game time he gets the better for next season.

It’s a no brainer for me.....

Krull

Aarons, Hanley, Gibson, Quintilla

Skipp, Sorensen

Buendia, Vrancic, Cantwell

Pukki

We need to open up a Warnock team do suspect Sorenson will start at left back, Skipp and Vrancic in midfield with Dowell at no. 10. Can’t see Giannoulis going straight in after less than a week.

I actually have a suspicion we might still start Soresnsen at LB, Farke isn't known for throwing players straight into a team so not sure it'll be much different from last time out (not the cup)

Only trouble with Skipp & Jacob together is they're both DMs, although I think Skipp is capable of bursting forward more than he's been allowed. 

When Kenny's back we're going to have 4 excellent central midfielders to choose from (plus evergreen Alex of course). Great dilemma to have though!

My take on Farke's comments indicated Sorensen would continue at LB.  Not up to a DM role without experience according to DF, which seems a little perverse.  His performances at LB have shown at DM his energy would be ideal for that position.  Until Kenny gets back that is, Rupp could benefit from more training although ok last week was still rusty.  But we have great assets in DM role just need an effective 10. 

1 hour ago, Juggler said:

We need to open up a Warnock team do suspect Sorenson will start at left back, Skipp and Vrancic in midfield with Dowell at no. 10. Can’t see Giannoulis going straight in after less than a week.

Sounds like more reason to throw Giannoulis in. A natural and rapid left-pegger who'll go down the outside will stretch the play more.

Wont be Farke's...probably ...but mine would be

Krul

Aarons  Hanley Gibson Giannaoulis

Skipp  Vrancic

Budndia    Cantwell     Hernandez

Pukki

Krul

Aarons   Hanley   Gibson   Giannoulis

Skipp   Sorensen

Buendia   Vrancic   Cantwell

Pukki

Got to start playing Giannoulis now to see whether he's worth signing on a permanent deal. Also need to see Sorensen playing in his natural position. Not sure whether to start Vrancic or Dowell as the no. 10. Dowell is a bit rusty due to injury, but Vrancic can't really manage any more than 1hr on the pitch

I think Rupp will partner Skippy.

Are we all expecting Mario to start in the 10 position? I wouldn't be surprised to see Dowell start and Mario on as a supersub if needed.

I'd go with:

To me Giannoulis, whilst not used to Norwich players, is match fit, sharp and quick, so a massive bonus, and ahead of Quintilla who's been out so long. 

To me Rupp is still rusty, and needs more time to get fitness back up, so imo Sorensen is natural starter next to Skipp. Farkes comments about Sorensen seem odd when he was happy to throw him at LB having "never played there before" He slotted in seamlessly so am sure he'd fit in as DM pretty quickly being his natural position, plus he's shown how quickly he adapts

Vrancic/Dowell to share No.10 position 

Krul

Aarons   Hanley   Gibson   Giannoulis

Skipp   Sorensen

Buendia   Vrancic   Cantwell

Pukki

Farke very much seemed to hint that Giannoulis is ready to start tomorrow, and I think he will do. In general the press conference was a really positive one. McLean, isolating but will be back for Millwall in the week, Stepi back in training, leaving just Byram and Hugill as the only absentees.

Krul
Skipp Sorenson
Buendia Vrancic Cantwell
Pukki

Subs: Barden, Zimmermann, Xavi, Tettey, Rupp, Dowell, Placheta, Hernandez, Idah 

Shame we can't get Mumba or Martin on there; competition is going to be stupidly fierce once McLean, Hugill and Stepi are all back. Amazing to have so many options though.

Edited by Pukki Blinders

I'd expect Lungi to start the game at LB and maybe move into the middle when one of Quintilla or Giannoulis comes on for the last 20mins to replace Rupp. The only other real question then is Vrancic or Dowell and going by recent performances, Mario will probably get the nod. Dowell for the last 15mins. We do have a nice bench at the moment. Pukki also unlikely to play the 90, could well finish the game with no striker, possibly Placheta & Onel to replace Cantwell & Pukki.

PM me if you want to know the full time score in advance. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Indy said:

Have to start with Sorensen, the more game time he gets the better for next season.

It’s a no brainer for me.....

Krull

Aarons, Hanley, Gibson, Quintilla

Skipp, Sorensen

Buendia, Vrancic, Cantwell

Pukki

I don't think we spend all that time and potential money on a Greek international left back for him not to play when he's already match fit and Quintilla isn't.

The only question is Rupp or Sorensen alongside Skipp, and I think he'll go for Rupp to start, with Sorensen getting 20 minutes if all is well.

GK  Krul

LB  Giannoulis

CB  Gibson

CB  Hanley

RB  Aarons 

CM  Skipp

CM  Vrancic

AML  Hernandez 

AMC  Cantwell

AMR  Buendia

ST  Pukki

I expect (I hope for)

Krul

Aarons Hanley Gibson Sorensen (Giannoulis)

Skipp Rupp (Sorensen)

Buendia Vrancic (Cantwell) Cantwell (Hernandez)

Pukki

Cant really see the clamour for Hernandez at the minute. Has missed such a lot of football and looked really rusty in his cameo last week. Middlesborough will sit deep and we need skill and movement to unlock them. Potentially the way Cantwell, Buendia and Dowell interchange could be key to this. Vrancic is another but his lack of pace concerns me. Not so bad if he plays higher up but I feel he is more effective deeper and we have better options for that role

1 hour ago, canarycop said:

Krul

Aaron's Hanley Gibson Giannoulis 

Sorensen Skipp

Buendia  Dowell Cantwell

Pukki

I agree with this.

Certainly Sorensen has earnt his place and he'll be our primary DM next season as the team stands.