Sign in to follow this  
horsefly

Ben Gibson

Great attitude . Honest review of the past and future . Comes across really well .

Edited by Branston

Indeed! Hope he stays with us for a long career. Has all the makings of a potential centre-back legend.

Superb defender just what we were missing last season.

Although Godfrey has all the attributes to go right to the top, size, speed, strength, passing etc his positioning and defending was probably what he needs to work on. He will get that working with Ancelotti and being next to players like Michael Keane. 

But if you asked who was a better defender I would say Gibson. Godfrey will get there just a bit raw. Hopefully we get up, sign him up and find him a partner for the prem.

3 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

Although Godfrey has all the attributes to go right to the top, size, speed, strength, passing etc his positioning and defending was probably what he needs to work on. He will get that working with Ancelotti and being next to players like Michael Keane. 

But if you asked who was a better defender I would say Gibson. Godfrey will get there just a bit raw. Hopefully we get up, sign him up and find him a partner for the prem.

I agree totally and have said the same in the past. I think Godfrey is a good player but it also seems every manager wants him to play in different positions! That's a big plus for him in that he seems capable of doing it. 

In terms of a proper good CB, someone who can defend well, lead other players and also play a bit, Gibson is ahead of Godfrey, at this current time, for me. A more complete CB shall we say and someone who really knows his role. Shout out to Hanley too, of course, who has been immense imo.

1 minute ago, BobLoz3 said:

I agree totally and have said the same in the past. I think Godfrey is a good player but it also seems every manager wants him to play in different positions! That's a big plus for him in that he seems capable of doing it. 

In terms of a proper good CB, someone who can defend well, lead other players and also play a bit, Gibson is ahead of Godfrey, at this current time, for me. A more complete CB shall we say and someone who really knows his role. Shout out to Hanley too, of course, who has been immense imo.

Of course, I really like Hanley and I said after his 1st season here I thought he was the best defender we had since Mackay. Injuries concern me with him although he has done very well with that this season.

There isnt a better pairing than these 2 at this level. Both proper leaders and proper defenders, what we lacked for most of last season. You get much better balance when you have someone who actually plays the left side in a CB pairing.

For me I think Zimmermann has struggled since his injuries at the end of the title winning season, he would worry me playing in a higher division.

Famewo is one that interests me, I cant say I've seen too much of him but it appears Charlton fans speak very highly of him but unfortunately another one who's had his injury problems. I think it was Klose who did an interview when he left for Basel and he also spoke very highly of Famewo. 

Maybe we have another little gem on our hands.

• Like 1

Gibson's brought Hanley along, odd as it sounds. Probably as they complement each other so well. Hanley's the more rugged, no-nonsense get your bloody head on anything that moves and kick everything else sort of centre-half, and Gibson can come out of defence with the ball, knowing Hanley will be happy to stay back and tell his full-backs when they can and shouldn't push.

Whilst Zimmermann likes a cross-field ball and can be pretty good with them, Gibson's a consistently more progressive passer, and somewhat pacier to boot.

11 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Gibson's brought Hanley along, odd as it sounds. Probably as they complement each other so well. Hanley's the more rugged, no-nonsense get your bloody head on anything that moves and kick everything else sort of centre-half, and Gibson can come out of defence with the ball, knowing Hanley will be happy to stay back and tell his full-backs when they can and shouldn't push.

Whilst Zimmermann likes a cross-field ball and can be pretty good with them, Gibson's a consistently more progressive passer, and somewhat pacier to boot.

Doesn't sound odd at all. Some players work better together than others and Gibson and Hanley definitely do that. I think Zimbo still has a big part to play too, this season or next - he has been looking less than his best recently and maybe just needs a bit more time to get fully match fit and confident, but at his best, is right up there with the other two, but he does need to get back to his best.

20 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Think most would agree our defence is at it's best with Gibson and Hanley.

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Think most would agree our defence is at it's best with Gibson and Hanley.

Yep, I've been highly critical of Hanley in the past but he's been really good this season once he got going. Couple of mistakes early doors that had me very concerned, but forced me to eat my words since as he's been excellent. Can't fault these two as a pairing, it just works. Best we've had since Fleming and Malky.

Don't discount Hanley's ability to pass! He's done quite well when he's stepped into the midfield areas to set an attack going or play a good long ball. 

They also say he's the fastest player at the club... I know right? But apparently that's the case. Takes him longer to get to that top speed but when he does he's surprisingly quick

He’s certainly moved his game on, when needed gets rid and sets the defence again, but in recent games has looked more comfortable on the ball, even making forward runs and decent distribution. Certainly best that we have.

Can’t say he’s better than Godfrey, better than Godfrey of two years back, but not today, that’s why Godfrey is in the premiership.

6 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Don't discount Hanley's ability to pass! He's done quite well when he's stepped into the midfield areas to set an attack going or play a good long ball. 

They also say he's the fastest player at the club... I know right? But apparently that's the case. Takes him longer to get to that top speed but when he does he's surprisingly quick

I thought it was the other way around - he's fast over the first few metres.

20 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I thought it was the other way around - he's fast over the first few metres.

Possibly! Haha... May have got it the wrong way round 

1 hour ago, Move Klose said:

As he was our only CB last year, the rest were injured or makeshift it’s hardly surprising as he needed to be everywhere all the time, then of course we had no real CDM in front of him, plus he’s having to marshall everyone around him and in a very inexperienced back four.    Find it absolutely bizarre that Godfrey gets any criticism at all... what on earth did fans expect.    He was exposed constantly as were all our defenders.... 

No one takes all this into account when blurting the ‘poor positioning and defending’ rubbish!    Of course he’s a top player, Everton got an absolute bargain!    

• Like 2