Sign in to follow this  
Myra Hawtree

Future recruitment from the EU

8 minutes ago, Myra Hawtree said:

Interesting article on BBC website. Says under current new regulations we wouldn’t have been able to sign Pukki.

"Brentford and Norwich City very much recruit based on statistics, and they pick out some gems from lower-level leagues," he adds. "Norwich's Teemu Pukki would not be signed were he trying to move in this window; he wouldn't have got anywhere near the points. For teams that are trying to be more creative in recruitment, it is becoming harder."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55803504

26 minutes ago, Myra Hawtree said:

Interesting article on BBC website. Says under current new regulations we wouldn’t have been able to sign Pukki.

I trust Webber and the recruitment team to have been all over this innovating new avenues to exploit.

BTW congrats on your award @Myra Hawtree🎉

Michael Bailey did a piece about it late last year https://theathletic.co.uk/2236477/2020/12/10/norwich-recruitment-brexit-farke-pukki-buendia/

Looks like it's hard to sign a player if they haven't played regular in the top German/French/Italian/Spanish/Dutch league.

I was trying to find out how Dimitrios Giannoulis got his points as Greece as are 53rd in the FIFA rankings.

image.thumb.png.985ed66e1bf529cd14a9bcf4af831b20.png

3 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Michael Bailey did a piece about it late last year https://theathletic.co.uk/2236477/2020/12/10/norwich-recruitment-brexit-farke-pukki-buendia/

Looks like it's hard to sign a player if they haven't played regular in the top German/French/Italian/Spanish/Dutch league.

I was trying to find out how Dimitrios Giannoulis got his points as Greece as are 53rd in the FIFA rankings.

image.thumb.png.985ed66e1bf529cd14a9bcf4af831b20.png

Going off of this article: https://worldfootballindex.com/2020/12/work-permits-premier-league-post-brexit-english-clubs-efl-libertadores/

I would presume that Giannoulis got his points due to playing the majority of PAOK's games in the Europa League. If he played 90% then he would get the 15 required, and if he didn't have that he would be able to add a few more due to his domestic playing time too.

The flipside is those players will no longer have access to the EPL and EFL. It could also weaken foreign national teams who players will have a more restricted opportunity to play and develop in the best two leagues in the world. Can't imagine Finland would be much good without the likes of Pukki.

Its largely going to end the chances of players coming in from Scandinavian or Eastern European leagues but open a few more doors for players from South America. 

5 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

.....presumably Bielsa and others wouldn't have got past the border?

I can see a club trying for remote management through teams or zoom if they can’t get the coach a working permit.....😂

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

.....presumably Bielsa and others wouldn't have got past the border?

He'd have been fine, you can't keep the world's best and greatest coach to have ever graced football out 😬

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

The flipside is those players will no longer have access to the EPL and EFL. It could also weaken foreign national teams who players will have a more restricted opportunity to play and develop in the best two leagues in the world. Can't imagine Finland would be much good without the likes of Pukki.

Best 2 leagues in the world?! 

Spain has won 8 out of the last 15 Champions League finals and 9 of the last 15 UEFA finals. 

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Yes like it did pre 1993, we used to complain that all the big players played in Spanish & Italian leagues which meant our players didn’t get the chance to improve to the levels needed now we’re changed 180! 
I think foreign teams are coached differently to ours and appear stronger in tournaments than us.

I’m sure people are aware but wanted to make the point because I’ve seen mixed messages in the media. Any new restrictions aren't forced on us by now becoming a 3rd country outside of the EU. The FA, Premier League, EFL and Government agreed the rules, which are designed to promote youth development over cheap recruitment from lower European divisions. These rules have been set and can be changed at any time by future Governments.

https://www.thefa.com/news/...

I'm not a Brexiteer, but one of the points of Leaving was to enable policy to be solely focussed on the needs of UK. The visa policies are by design not a consequence of Brexit. If we are thought to be held back by these rules, the FA, gov, league etc can come together and revamp it so it’s not a worrying situation.

8 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

I’m sure people are aware but wanted to make the point because I’ve seen mixed messages in the media. Any new restrictions aren't forced on us by now becoming a 3rd country outside of the EU. The FA, Premier League, EFL and Government agreed the rules, which are designed to promote youth development over cheap recruitment from lower European divisions. These rules have been set and can be changed at any time by future Governments.

I'm not a Brexiteer, but one of the points of Leaving was to enable policy to be solely focussed on the needs of UK. The visa policies are by design not a consequence of Brexit. If we are thought to be held back by these rules, the FA, gov, league etc can come together and revamp it so it’s not a worrying situation.

Thanks for this 

I'll read it,  and the documents, more thoroughly later 🙂

• Like 1

Maybe if we concentrated more on our domestic competitions rather than the money spinning CL, then just maybe there are some young nuggets waiting to play in their first teams. 

Haven't England's age grade teams performed well recently? Maybe longer in their respective first teams would benefit them and make them better.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Maybe if we concentrated more on our domestic competitions rather than the money spinning CL, then just maybe there are some young nuggets waiting to play in their first teams. 

Haven't England's age grade teams performed well recently? Maybe longer in their respective first teams would benefit them and make them better.

I also believe KG that the coaching at all levels has benefited from the foreign influence and our younger teams look more comfortable on the ball than they ever did.

1 minute ago, Indy said:

I also believe KG that the coaching at all levels has benefited from the foreign influence and our younger teams look more comfortable on the ball than they ever did.

Probably true. So now we have learnt from that its up to us to produce coaches who reflect that rather than Dyches and Allardyces. They have their place of course they do, but they were the mainstream not too long ago.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

I tend to agree. The sad truth is that managers like Wenger, introduced very basic sports science, stopped players from getting pi$$ed after training and got them to pass 10 yards to each other which you would have thought a player being paid 15k a week would do anyway. The Premiership was so unprofessional, that adding a bit of professionalism to people paid to be professional sportsman is deemed as pioneering.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

What about managers and coaches. I assume they have to follow the standard points system for all potential immigrants 

"The qualifying criteria for managers are simpler than those for players: 24 months consecutively or 36 months over the past five years working in any competition from band 1 to band 5. You also need a Uefa Pro licence and proof your English is good enough............................ there are the staff and the days of an overseas manager turning up with all of his mates may be numbered. Any individual looking for a visa as a “Performance Manager” (which covers most coaching and sports science-related roles) requires a degree and five years’ experience in bands 1 to 5 or at international level."

"

The new work permit system has brought back the ‘appeals panel’ in full strength. This allows clubs to fight their case when the player doesn’t meet the requirements - it can be a bit of a lottery at times but as more players go through the process it will become clearer what the FA expects. 

Soto had to go through this panel and has a nice letter of support from the US National Team coach to say he’s an ‘exceptional talent’ (a loophole to get a GBE). 

This route was heavily exploited in the system before the last one and managers would regularly come to the appeals panel and charm the FA suits about how great the player is and how he’ll definitely be a regular starter - only to never play them. 

Edited by Bethnal Yellow and Green

2 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

not true at all - in both content and intent

the criteria are determined by the boundaries set by the UK no longer being an EU member and so are restrained by that fact, irrespective if what minor alterations are allowed within those boundaries

for any givernment to want to change those boundaries would require it to make a special case for football, which given the implications is fairly certain to not happen - see BGs comments about work permits

as if it was as simple as suggested, it would have been changed then

• Like 1