Sign in to follow this  
Canaries north

Form with or without Buendia

Not sure if his has been covered before but I was told yesterday that we have averaged 1 point per game this season without Buendia and 2 points per game with. Is this correct. I guess a lot of these games without Buendia were early season when we were still sorting things out but it does show how we can't afford for him to get injured. In the cup game it did show what a difference he made when he came on.  

I think that stat is pretty meaningless and the fact is that it could be applied to a number of players. Emi is obviously an important player but so are plenty of others.

Edited by Branston Pickle

I think too much can be made of this kind of thing. We are not a one man team and although Buendia is tremendous, we have a strong squad.  The fact we looked poor until Buendia and Skipp came on in the cup game was because we had quite a few players in the starting line up who were not match fit which meant we struggled. The positive thing from that match was that those players got some important minutes on the pitch. Good that Buendia and Skipp improved us, it keeps them up to speed fro upcoming matches.

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

I think that stat is pretty meaningless and the fact is that it could be applied to a number of players. Emi is obviously an important player but so are plenty of others.

I agree other players are important but they did also do it with other players as well. Almost all of them were just under and just over 2 points a game when playing or missing. That included Pukki and Cantrell who I thought when missing we had dropped points. It might be just a anomaly as it didn't take into account who we played but the Buendia figures were incredible. Thank God Arsenal should be leaving him alone for a while. 

Seeing how we are averaging more than two points per game overall, that can't be correct. We obviously did have a slow start which coincided with Buendia's absence. However, given how well he's been playing, I'd argue that this has been a fantastic piece of man-management from Farke.

5 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Having had the pleasure of watching Huckerby in our title winning season  of 2004, some players are more than just important. IMO, Buendia is one such player. 

• Like 1

We are not talking about us getting into the play offs (75 points) we are talking automatic promotion (90 points). In my opinion we would not achieve the latter with a prolonged spell with no Emi.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

We are not talking about us getting into the play offs (75 points) we are talking automatic promotion (90 points). In my opinion we would not achieve the latter with a prolonged spell with no Emi.

Agree with you on this, however I think the same could be said of Skipp. Unfortunately our chances of Spurs letting us keep him for another season are very slim. We could well be going up with a severely diminished midfield.

I posted about this some time ago. People will shout that statistics can be misleading but Emi was identified using statistics. 

We have played 71 Championship games since he arrived.

In the 11 he didn't start we have gained 9 points at an average of 0.82.

In the 60 we have started we have gained 136 points at an average of 2.27.

He has scored or created 16 out of our last 19 goals, all but one of those coming in games we have won by a single goal. 

The only other player who has had such an impact on the team's performance is Darren Huckerby. 

No one is irreplaceable but he is as close as you can get. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The only other player who has had such an impact on the team's performance is Darren Huckerby. 

Er............................... you clearly didn't watch (or have forgotten) Chris Sutton in the 1993/94 season (and that was in the Premier League). 

2 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Er............................... you clearly didn't watch (or have forgotten) Chris Sutton in the 1993/94 season (and that was in the Premier League). 

You're quite right of course. We didn't last long without him did we? 

I honestly think it would be another Maddison/Murphy situation. We have the players to step in if he was to leave or get injured.

We have multiple attacking midfielders on our bench that would be stars for most teams in the division.

36 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

You're quite right of course. We didn't last long without him did we? 

We sure didn't. I remember at the time watching the seasons highlights video of that season (the internet didn't really exist then). The remarkable thing was that Sutton either scored or provided the scoring pass for about all but two of our League goals that season - and the other two goals he was heavily involved earlier in the move. The silver lining to that cloud, for me at least, was the large sum of money I made betting on us being relegated the following season. 😐

32 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

I honestly think it would be another Maddison/Murphy situation. We have the players to step in if he was to leave or get injured.

We have multiple attacking midfielders on our bench that would be stars for most teams in the division.

We're   aiming to be in the division above though. 

• Like 1

On 26/01/2021 at 14:02, Canaries north said:

Not sure if his has been covered before but I was told yesterday that we have averaged 1 point per game this season without Buendia and 2 points per game with. Is this correct. I guess a lot of these games without Buendia were early season when we were still sorting things out but it does show how we can't afford for him to get injured. In the cup game it did show what a difference he made when he came on.  

I doubt it can be accurate as we are averaging over 2 points a game in total. But there can be no denying his importance and I'm glad we will be with us until at least the end of this season

2 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

We replaced Maddison with Emi. They are arguably the two most talented players to play for us, in fact they definitely are in recent years. Finding another will be difficult to say the least especially when you consider the Brexit rules. Let's keep our fingers crossed that we have already identified someone. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

We replaced Maddison with Emi. They are arguably the two most talented players to play for us, in fact they definitely are in recent years. Finding another will be difficult to say the least especially when you consider the Brexit rules. Let's keep our fingers crossed that we have already identified someone. 

Completely agree, in a technical sense I think they are the best two players ever to play for Norwich.  Two slightly different players, but Maddison in that 17/18 season was something else.

1 hour ago, ncfcstar said:

Completely agree, in a technical sense I think they are the best two players ever to play for Norwich.  Two slightly different players, but Maddison in that 17/18 season was something else.

Yeah, agree with this. When you think that he was only 20-21 during that season, the maturity Maddison showed was remarkable. Emi is more likely to 'try things' and display outrageous skills and touches, and probably has more natural flair, but Maddison's consistency and calmness with the ball at his feet was just remarkable.

Considering they're the same age, I would say that Maddison was and is the 'better' player in terms of overall contribution, whereas Emi is probably the most naturally talented. If I could choose to have either, I'd have Maddison.

24 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Yeah, agree with this. When you think that he was only 20-21 during that season, the maturity Maddison showed was remarkable. Emi is more likely to 'try things' and display outrageous skills and touches, and probably has more natural flair, but Maddison's consistency and calmness with the ball at his feet was just remarkable.

Considering they're the same age, I would say that Maddison was and is the 'better' player in terms of overall contribution, whereas Emi is probably the most naturally talented. If I could choose to have either, I'd have Maddison.

Agree Wolfo  , watching some of Madders performances lately for Leicester is proving what consistency he can produce at the top level.