Jim Smith

So with Kenny out and Rupp rusty would you

Play Sorensen next to Skipp and put Gianoullis straight in on Saturday?

That is assuming he's available to play.

• Like 1

No doubt, the training sessions this week will be particularly important in deciding who gets to start.

Edited by horsefly
  • Like 1

Of all the midfielders from Saturday, Rupp probably played the best. It's less likely that Farke would bring a new signing straight into the starting 11. However, we may see our new Greek fullback getting some minutes depending on the game situation later on.

I'd play either him or Xavi depending on availability as I think we need Sorenson back in position.

Rupp has had quite a stop start time of it lately so may be too rusty but we'll see. Certainly think Saturday showed that Tettey is not really the answer these days. 

Sorenson would be my choice. Giano ought to be good enough to go straight in.

However, I did notice that Kenny pushed further forward when alongside Olly. And I think Rupp might be more attacking than Sorenson.

Edited by keelansgrandad

Giannoulis at left-back, Sorensen next to Skipp, Kenny as number 10. Rupp to get 20-30 minutes off the bench, hopefully.

In fact, if I were Farke, this is what I'd initially plan: start as said with Giannoulis at left-back, Sorensen next to Skipp and McLean at 10. Bring Giannoulis off after 60, move Sorensen back to left-back, put Rupp on next to Skipp. If McLean's not really firing on all cylinders there, bring Dowell on at the same time so Rupp and Dowell get 30 mins in the tank coming back, and Giannoulis has an hour (and Sorensen gets his start in the middle).

Up top will need rotating. Doubt any of the lads coming back is going to have 90 in the tank against a deep-lying side.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

I'd leave Sorensen at LB and play the Skipp & Rupp combination that served us so well before Kenny got back into the team. Rupp was rusty in the cup for sure but another weeks training and that game under his belt should see an improvement. Also he'll have the added incentive of knowing that Kenny will be back from his Covid isolation very soon.

Kenny back playing the best form since he's been here and Giannoulis pushing for a start and DF is going to have some good options and cover for injuries.

It’ll be interesting to see how long Kenny takes post-Covid, it obviously affects people very differently; Krul was back very quickly but many won’t be.

Two wrongs don't make a right. I'd love to see Sorensen in midfield but until Gianoullis is up to speed then we should continue with Sorensen. I don't rate Quintilla defensively and 'Boro is a very big game for us. I wouldn't take the gamble as Rupp will be sharper this week.

• Like 1

I don't think Farke will change much. Rupp for Kenny, Pukki for Hugill if everyone else is fit. Middlesbro will sit, but they have some decent players - it's a dangerous game for us and we need to score first.

I think Sorensen will stay at LB at least to start with in the match.  Depending on how it goes, we could see him moved into midfield during the match (as happened in a couple of previous matches) with someone coming in on the left, perhaps Gianoulis or Quintilla coming in off the bench.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Play Sorensen next to Skipp and put Gianoullis straight in on Saturday?

That is assuming he's available to play.

I would. 

How long is Giannoulis really going to need to be up to speed? He should be close to match fit as he's been playing regularly in Greece. On top of that, Boro will sit, so if anything that sort of game is probably ideal for a left-back with an engine to get some mileage in.

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

How long is Giannoulis really going to need to be up to speed? He should be close to match fit as he's been playing regularly in Greece. On top of that, Boro will sit, so if anything that sort of game is probably ideal for a left-back with an engine to get some mileage in.

Assume people mean as regards our playing style and gelling with the players round him. rather than fitness wise.
Some debutants hit the ground running with their performances, most take a few games (see Rupp.. more than a few in his case!), while still others never fit in despite being individually decent at other clubs previously or after they depart

2 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Assume people mean as regards our playing style and gelling with the players round him. rather than fitness wise.
Some debutants hit the ground running with their performances, most take a few games (see Rupp.. more than a few in his case!), while still others never fit in despite being individually decent at other clubs previously or after they depart

Sure, and the main way to gel with the players around him is quality match time!

Essentially, I'm just saying that considering the position he's in, as an attacking full-back, a team that sits in a deep block is probably an ideal fixture to give him a debut provided his fitness is OK.

Credit to Xavi that he did fit in very quickly at the start of the season and that's a sign of a technically good player, at least with our style of play. It maybe unfair but I don't think he looks as strong defensively, especially his positioning.

Perhaps it's easier for a new fullback coming in than a central midfielder where there's a hell of a lot to think about. Gianoullis might slot in effortlessly, but I think DF will be cautious.

'Boro won't leave much space behind to work with so that sort of negates flying wingbacks.

9 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Sure, and the main way to gel with the players around him is quality match time!

Essentially, I'm just saying that considering the position he's in, as an attacking full-back, a team that sits in a deep block is probably an ideal fixture to give him a debut provided his fitness is OK.

There does seem to be a few who think our playing style is so hugely complex that it takes weeks to even be able to think about playing in our team.

Last season Rupp and Duda were signed in January and went straight into the team, similarly Leitner and Hernandez were straight into the squad after their arrivals midseason. I don't see why this guy would be any different.

6 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Fair comment. In the sense that it’s a baptism of fire but he’s got an extinguisher 

4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Credit to Xavi that he did fit in very quickly at the start of the season and that's a sign of a technically good player, at least with our style of play. It maybe unfair but I don't think he looks as strong defensively, especially his positioning.

Perhaps it's easier for a new fullback coming in than a central midfielder where there's a hell of a lot to think about. Gianoullis might slot in effortlessly, but I think DF will be cautious.

'Boro won't leave much space behind to work with so that sort of negates flying wingbacks.

Regarding the bit in bold, I'd say it's only half-right (so to be fair you have said "sorta"). If a team's going to sit deep, at least drag them out as wide as you can. I'll readily accept the argument that it's harder for them to get in behind at pace, but you can at least stretch the game out and aim to leave a bit more space for the men in the middle to move the ball around at speed.

We've certainly got that ability with Buendia, or even Cantwell when he doesn't take too many touches. Sorensen cuts in and likes a piece of that as well, but then it compresses the game again and places accuracy at an absolute premium.

Never seen Sorenson in midfield but he's been our best left back so far this season. So I'd probably leave him there on Saturday and go with the Skipp n Rupp 🙃

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, king canary said:

There does seem to be a few who think our playing style is so hugely complex that it takes weeks to even be able to think about playing in our team.

Last season Rupp and Duda were signed in January and went straight into the team, similarly Leitner and Hernandez were straight into the squad after their arrivals midseason. I don't see why this guy would be any different.

Don’t think anyone believes it’s unique to Norwich or our style. No great controversy that new players take different amounts of time to play optimally within a team .. Rupp may have gone in immediately but he took months to find his mojo. Duda went straight in and never did.. (either not our type at all or not good enough at what he could offer, or both)

Anyway I’m certainly not against playing a left back at left back...! we’ll see on Saturday

2 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Don’t think anyone believes it’s unique to Norwich or our style. No great controversy that new players take different amounts of time to play optimally within a team .. Rupp may have gone in immediately but he took months to find his mojo. Duda went straight in and never did.. (either not our type at all or not good enough at what he could offer, or both)

Anyway I’m certainly not against playing a left back at left back...! we’ll see on Saturday

To be fair, Rupp wasn't played in position either. He seemed to spend most of his time playing in Buendia's position and whilst he always put in a diligent shift and defensively we did seem more solid when he was around, you could see he was working his way back to match fitness and helping out rather than being in his strongest position - in a team that was badly short on confidence.

• Like 1

Wouldn’t think Kenny will be in the mix for Boro due to isolating and symptoms.

it would be very in-Farke to play Dimitris after just a couple of training sessions, a bench option more likely for me.

So Rupp with Skipp I think, and Lungi on the left. 

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

I agree although it has to be said that it would be highly unusual for Farke to put a new signing straight into the team. He usually likes to have them train for a few weeks to get up to speed with how we play. 

9 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I agree although it has to be said that it would be highly unusual for Farke to put a new signing straight into the team. He usually likes to have them train for a few weeks to get up to speed with how we play. 

Sure, but as others have said, he's done it before. Duda, Rupp, Leitner, Hernandez being examples. Considering Sorensen - as well as he has played - is not a left-back, and that Boro are bound to sit, I'd think if there's a game he's going to go against what we think, it's in such a situation with a left wing-back who should be match fit or thereabouts anyway.

4 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Sure, but as others have said, he's done it before. Duda, Rupp, Leitner, Hernandez being examples. Considering Sorensen - as well as he has played - is not a left-back, and that Boro are bound to sit, I'd think if there's a game he's going to go against what we think, it's in such a situation with a left wing-back who should be match fit or thereabouts anyway.

Those are all attacking players. Bringing someone straight in to a defensive position has its risks. But I'm quite impatient to see Jacob play in midfield. I hope he's as good as I think he's going to be.