Sign in to follow this  
Mullet

Troy Deeney says Watford are coming for us

Just now, TIL 1010 said:

I thought my mate on here was Waveney according to you ?

Another one not exclusive. Gutted! 😉 

Evening Officer! 

43 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

Whatever ppl think of Deeney, if he played for Norwich not one of us would care about his previous crime whilst he was scoring over 100 goals for us incl in play off s and fa cup SF. 

Fair play to you for admitting that👍

Do you think that's how it would have turned out if he'd been a city player banged up for being a thug? 

5 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Fair play to you for admitting that👍

Do you think that's how it would have turned out if he'd been a city player banged up for being a thug? 

@nutty nigelinstead of firing some new questions and resurrecting old posts, why not try answering the questions people have asked you previously? You may find the forum works better like that! 

On 25/01/2021 at 18:22, Mullet said:

Troy Deeney stated today that Watford have had an average start to their season but now things are starting to click and they are coming for us

At a rather slow rate. They drew last night.

Watfords new manager bubble has burst already after drawing against Millwall. Perhaps Troy Deeney should be worrying about his next move to Turkey or China, rather than us. Such a simple man.

With no Leeds and Sheff Utd to contend with there does seem to be a lack of mind games amongst managers. Maybe Deeney is attempting what his new manager can't, but it's feeble stuff compared to Wilder et al.

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

With no Leeds and Sheff Utd to contend with there does seem to be a lack of mind games amongst managers. Maybe Deeney is attempting what his new manager can't, but it's feeble stuff compared to Wilder et al.

You need to have a mind, to play mind games

• Like 1

With regards to Deeney and the prison sentence, my stance is pretty simple re. prison sentences and the aftermath. If he has served his time as set by the court, he's free. I really don't agree with this notion that people can't go back to their occupations afterwards, unless we're talking about kiddy-fiddlers going back to positions such as teaching or where they are exposed to kids.

Yes, Deeney did something effin' stupid. The judge said he should be down for sent ten months. If people are unhappy with that, their problem lies with the sentencing, but I do not care for him not being able to go back to his job as a pro footballer after that. Judges decide punishment.

How do you reintegrate into society if you can't go back to work in any capacity?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

With regards to Deeney and the prison sentence, my stance is pretty simple re. prison sentences and the aftermath. If he has served his time as set by the court, he's free. I really don't agree with this notion that people can't go back to their occupations afterwards, unless we're talking about kiddy-fiddlers going back to positions such as teaching or where they are exposed to kids.

Yes, Deeney did something effin' stupid. The judge said he should be down for sent ten months. If people are unhappy with that, their problem lies with the sentencing, but I do not care for him not being able to go back to his job as a pro footballer after that. Judges decide punishment.

How do you reintegrate into society if you can't go back to work in any capacity?

Totally agree with that.

However Deeney didn't have to reintegrate into anything because being a footballer he just went straight back where he left off.

Would we all be treated as such...

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Totally agree with that.

However Deeney didn't have to reintegrate into anything because being a footballer he just went straight back where he left off.

Would we all be treated as such...

Then again, Ched Evans was persona non grata for quite some time after his sentence before a club finally offered him a contract. Has Adam Johnson got a contract again yet?

Deeney may have been one of the luckier ones, and I would say he had to reintegrate into his team and into becoming a productive, tax-paying member of society again after being in Sing-Sing, so I can't really accept this notion that "he didn't have to reintegrate into anything". He's knuckled down and made himself a big part of his team. I can readily castigate his lack of self-control leading to his affray charge, but fair play to the feller for coming back like he did when given the opportunity to do so.

Recidivism is the main problem we have in criminal justice terms. If he reoffends, then we can reopen this chapter. But I'd say "fair play to the lad" for taking his chance and would hope most people get given that.

As we've seen, many aren't willing to grant it.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Then again, Ched Evans was persona non grata for quite some time after his sentence before a club finally offered him a contract. Has Adam Johnson got a contract again yet?

Deeney may have been one of the luckier ones, and I would say he had to reintegrate into his team and into becoming a productive, tax-paying member of society again after being in Sing-Sing, so I can't really accept this notion that "he didn't have to reintegrate into anything". He's knuckled down and made himself a big part of his team. I can readily castigate his lack of self-control leading to his affray charge, but fair play to the feller for coming back like he did when given the opportunity to do so.

Recidivism is the main problem we have in criminal justice terms. If he reoffends, then we can reopen this chapter. But I'd say "fair play to the lad" for taking his chance and would hope most people get given that.

Totally agree with most of that too.

However if I had been banged up for a similar offence I would have lost my job, rightly so, because my actions would have reflected badly on my employer and in any way would have been in breach of contract. 

I would have hoped if I served my time and showed remorse someone else would have given me a chance after release. 

Don't know about Chef Evans or Adam Johnson. Did their clubs hold on to their registration and welcome them back?

5 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Totally agree with most of that too.

However if I had been banged up for a similar offence I would have lost my job, rightly so, because my actions would have reflected badly on my employer and in any way would have been in breach of contract. 

I would have hoped if I served my time and showed remorse someone else would have given me a chance after release. 

Don't know about Chef Evans or Adam Johnson. Did their clubs hold on to their registration and welcome them back?

Johnson's not got a club (sacked by Sunderland), and Ched Evans was sacked by Sheffield United. He did go back there, but only via Chesterfield who signed him after his release (and before his retrial).

And the bit in bold is the crux. Deeney was given his chance. Criticising Deeney here really is a bit askew. Sure, he was fortunate, but he's really made the most of it. Criticism really should be aimed at the mentality that punishment should continue after a judge has said he has served his time, and indeed at the sentences that are given out.

In fact, going back to Deeney, I'd go as far as to say he could be a poster boy on how to turn things around. He's a positive example of what can happen if people are actually willing to give such people second chances.

Edited by TheGunnShow
*needed more info.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Johnson's not got a club (sacked by Sunderland), and Ched Evans was sacked by Sheffield United. He did go back there, but only via Chesterfield who signed him after his release (and before his retrial).

And the bit in bold is the crux. Deeney was given his chance. Criticising Deeney here really is a bit askew. Sure, he was fortunate, but he's really made the most of it.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say he could be a poster boy on how to turn things around.

Yeah, I think if you look at Deeney in comparison to someone like Marlon King who was a career criminal basically and got chance after chance despite never changing his ways, Deeney looks like a veritable saint in how he's reacted. 

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

And the bit in bold is the crux. Deeney was given his chance. Criticising Deeney here really is a bit askew. Sure, he was fortunate, but he's really made the most of it.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say he could be a poster boy on how to turn things around.

Perhaps the 'poster boys' could be the ones who have to start again and rebuild their lives?

Millwall are a bananaskin for any promotion challanging team as both Watford and Bournemouth have found out recently. They seem to have a knack of keeping it tight and grinding out results against some of the better teams. We go there shortly so must not underestimate them.

With the result last night, the Brentford v Swansea game and with us having a week off before playing Boro this week feels like a real opportunity to open up a gap that will be very difficult for the team in thrid to bridge. 

Watford have a kind run of fixtures and players who at this level are matchwinners and they can keep a clean sheet so i fully expect them to have a bit of a run even if they aren;t playing particularly well. Its how they tend to win games, keep it tight and ely on Deeney or Sarr or A.N Other for a bit of magic. Its what we did for much of the first third of the season although I feel we are playing better now and have re-gained our fluency.

In many ways they are more in the "typical" mould of a bottom half prem team than us in that they have a lot of strong, athletic players at their disposal so whilst technically I dont think they are a patch on us, they have a physicality that we lack. 

As in everything in life, there are exceptions. Crime, premeditated, must carry a certain tariff of punishment. But there are some that happen on the spur of the moment that are treated differently.

A chap and one of his mates abused my wife and I hit them both. They reported me to the police and I received a five year caution. And the Sergeant who issued it said he probably would have done the same thing.

Should I have stood and demanded an apology from the two idiots? Considering one was high on something, it was unlikely reason would have worked. His crime, if you want to call it that, was premeditated so I suppose I gave him a punishment rather than ween him off his drugs and reintroduce him to normal and accepted society.

I suppose we all have our level of morals and it is up to our peers to judge us.

45 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

He got 10 months for affray though, its a slightly different (and nowhere near as serious) offence as rape or whatever it was that Johnson was sent down for or indeed "wounding with intent" in the case of Mendham. I also believe in rehabilitation and to be honest have no gripe with Deeney being given the chance to continue playing following his release. He clearly also had a very tough upbringing and has worked hard and done very well for himself. I always give him a bit of stick at games but to be fair when warming up in front of the pit he takes it well and always gives a bit back. 

You either believe in rehabilitation or you don;t. You can;t argue that Mendham should be given fresh chances and allowed to get on with his life (with which i agree) but at the same time deny Deeney the same by holding his conviction against him. 

To be honest, since he has actually been found not guilty (and I don't want to get into the merits of that or otherwise - I know that doesn;t necessarily mean he didn't do it) Ched Evans could probably legitimately point to his treatment by fans and some clubs since his release as harsh.

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

He got 10 months for affray though, its a slightly different (and nowhere near as serious) offence as rape or whatever it was that Johnson was sent down for or indeed "wounding with intent" in the case of Mendham. I also believe in rehabilitation and to be honest have no gripe with Deeney being given the chance to continue playing following his release. He clearly also had a very tough upbringing and has worked hard and done very well for himself. I always give him a bit of stick at games but to be fair when warming up in front of the pit he takes it well and always gives a bit back. 

You either believe in rehabilitation or you don;t. You can;t argue that Mendham should be given fresh chances and allowed to get on with his life (with which i agree) but at the same time deny Deeney the same by holding his conviction against him. 

To be honest, since he has actually been found not guilty (and I don't want to get into the merits of that or otherwise - I know that doesn;t necessarily mean he didn't do it) Ched Evans could probably legitimately point to his treatment by fans and some clubs since his release as harsh.

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Sorry the Gunn Show the above makes it sound like I am disagreeing with your posts but i'm not - I'm in agreement. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

The Evans case is a total minefield and I generally stay well away from trying to make any judgement on what went down there. 

If you want to see real hypocrisy in action you only have to look at what Derby did to Richard Keogh- sacking him after the drunken car crash but not the other players involved, simply as he had much less transfer value. 

• Like 1

Didn't Keogh win his compensation case this week? Not the same i know, but shows it was wrong / inconsistent. 

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

The Evans case is a total minefield and I generally stay well away from trying to make any judgement on what went down there. 

If you want to see real hypocrisy in action you only have to look at what Derby did to Richard Keogh- sacking him after the drunken car crash but not the other players involved, simply as he had much less transfer value. 

Thats football innit. The sad truth is that a player with more value is always likely to be more readily forgiven. Clubs don;t write off valuable assets lightly!

Footballers, as shown with the covid rules interpretation are different to the rest of us. Unfortunately. 

37 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Perhaps the 'poster boys' could be the ones who have to start again and rebuild their lives?

He did, due to the second chance he was given.

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

One posters "second chance" is another posters "unearned privilege.".

Circles..........again.

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

One posters "second chance" is another posters "unearned privilege.".

That's where we disagree. I maintain serving his time as the judge said is enough.

9 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

That's where we disagree. I maintain serving his time as the judge said is enough.

Looks like we'll forever disagree then. You have your poster boy and I have my privileged footballer. The world won't end because of it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Looks like we'll forever disagree then. You have your poster boy and I have my privileged footballer. The world won't end because of it.

That'll do me. 

• Like 1

So who on here is going to sit in their armchair and boo Deeney on the tellybox when Watford come to Carrow Road ?