Well b back

Chelsea about to sack Lampard

Ouch, that's got to hurt Franky Lampy, wonder how his managerial career is going to pan out from here...

Unfortunately, Chelsea aren't the kind of team who will give you time to blood youngsters

Just now, AJ said:

Ouch, that's got to hurt Franky Lampy, wonder how his managerial career is going to pan out from here...

Unfortunately, Chelsea aren't the kind of team who will give you time to blood youngsters

Feels like he could end up like another Tim Sherwood- ex player, big personality given a big job before he was really ready then ends up as a pundit. May be wrong though.

9 minutes ago, king canary said:

Feels like he could end up like another Tim Sherwood- ex player, big personality given a big job before he was really ready then ends up as a pundit. May be wrong though.

I have a suspicion you might be right. I like what Gerrard is doing, going about his business and clearly working hard, one day Liverpool will inevitably come knocking I'm sure but he'll have the experience and potential to do a good job. Lampy did OK at Derby, but he didn't exactly set the world alight, it was a gamble for both him and Chelsea but it'll be hard to kick-start his career again from here

4 minutes ago, AJ said:

I have a suspicion you might be right. I like what Gerrard is doing, going about his business and clearly working hard, one day Liverpool will inevitably come knocking I'm sure but he'll have the experience and potential to do a good job. Lampy did OK at Derby, but he didn't exactly set the world alight, it was a gamble for both him and Chelsea but it'll be hard to kick-start his career again from here

I think it will all depend on what his ego allows- will he see himself as too big for jobs at clubs like West Brom or Fulham in the future or instance? 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Feels like he could end up like another Tim Sherwood- ex player, big personality given a big job before he was really ready then ends up as a pundit.

that rather nails it

2 hours ago, AJ said:

His squad at Derby should have been strong enough  to do better than it did. Chelsea spent quite a bit since transfer ban lifted. Hes not all that as a manager, I've heard/ read that Jody  Morris  is the brains behind the cult of personality  Frank.  

Being a top midfielder that won things with a big club is no guarantee  of  being the dogs bollix as a manager.  Just ask PL.

I know he was within his rights, but when he wouldn't play on against us, and spent 20 minutes coaching his team always left a sour taste in my mouth. Especially as that let him scrape into the playoffs.

When will football club owners, and supporters, realise that just because you are a top player it does not necessarily mean you will be a good manager.

He was another one who had no clue what his best team was and kept tinkering every game. I think he thought it was just a matter of spending and you are guaranteed top four.

A friend of mine is big buddies with Chris Jones (one of Lampard's right hand men, along with Jody Morris) and he (Jones) said that they have been expecting the axe to fall, a few weeks ago, so today's news is not such a shock to Lampard.

19 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

A friend of mine is big buddies with Chris Jones (one of Lampard's right hand men, along with Jody Morris) and he (Jones) said that they have been expecting the axe to fall, a few weeks ago, so today's news is not such a shock to Lampard.

Tbf it's been on the cards since Tuchel left PSG. Thanks for the babysitting Frank, but an experienced  manager is on his way.

5 hours ago, king canary said:

Rooney will probably be exactly the same - Derby, PL Club and the out on his ar*e

"In Frank we trust," read a banner at Stamford Bridge during Sunday's FA Cup win over Luton

Edited by Making Plans

8 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Thought he was there for the long term. Stupid decision imo.

He was chopping and changing too much. He did a bit of that at Derby too.

I suspect a lot of players didn't quite know where they stood. Apart from Mason Mount.

Edited by GJP

It was only ever to be a short term gig whilst Chelsea waited for the transfer ban to lifted and a big name manager to be available. I'm sure Frank was well aware of that.

I think he's done a pretty decent job with the resources he had available and even got Djourou playing again.

Don't think he will struggle finding work tbh.

6 minutes ago, First Wazzock said:

Image may contain: text that says "m IN FRANK WE P TRUST THEN. NOW. FOREVER. Banner, Used Once & No Longer Needed £1.00 +£3.20 postage Starting bid I 6d 23h About this item New Condition Quantity Item number Category 1 available 2550488665013 Home, Furniture & DIY Celebrations & Occasions > Party Supplies Banners, Buntings & Garlands"

Is that an anagram  of Delia out!! ?Cos if it is there are some lads who'd  be interested.  Is it a towable  banner?😇

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

He was another one who had no clue what his best team was and kept tinkering every game. I think he thought it was just a matter of spending and you are guaranteed top four.

He also spent a small fortune on Werner who had played in a similar system to ours at Leipzig. He tried playing him in a totally different system at Chelsea and seemed baffled that it didn't work. It maybe that Lampard had no role in recruitment but it looks like muddled thinking to me. 

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

He also spent a small fortune on Werner who had played in a similar system to ours at Leipzig. He tried playing him in a totally different system at Chelsea and seemed baffled that it didn't work. It maybe that Lampard had no role in recruitment but it looks like muddled thinking to me. 

The suggestions of everything I've read is Werner wasn't a Lampard signing as such- not that he didn't want him but that he wasn't a player he was specifically after, the only big signing recently that he was actively after was Chillwell. Apparently he desperately wanted Declan Rice too but the top brass didn't like the optics of spending a big sum on a player they released from their academy as a teen.

The view seems to be that his inability to get more from Werner and Havertz was a big concern (and a large reason why they've hired a German speaker) but it was the fact he seemingly had almost given up on getting more from them. 

I think he deserves some credit for the willingness to throw players like James, Mount and Abraham in and he'd continued to use some players from the youth system like Gilmour. However that doesn't cover for the failure to get more from Werner, Havertz and Pulisic. 

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

The suggestions of everything I've read is Werner wasn't a Lampard signing as such- not that he didn't want him but that he wasn't a player he was specifically after, the only big signing recently that he was actively after was Chillwell. Apparently he desperately wanted Declan Rice too but the top brass didn't like the optics of spending a big sum on a player they released from their academy as a teen.

The view seems to be that his inability to get more from Werner and Havertz was a big concern (and a large reason why they've hired a German speaker) but it was the fact he seemingly had almost given up on getting more from them. 

I think he deserves some credit for the willingness to throw players like James, Mount and Abraham in and he'd continued to use some players from the youth system like Gilmour. However that doesn't cover for the failure to get more from Werner, Havertz and Pulisic. 

That all makes sense and it sums up perfectly why we're so lucky that Webber and Farke work so well together. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Wth his threadbare managerial CV he shouldn't have been offered the job in the first place.

I think there is quite a bit of truth to the idea that Chelsea knew the transfer ban was going to make the short term future tough, so giving the job to a club legend would buy a bit of extra goodwill from the fans. Mad to say but his salary, even at a reported £4m a year, was less than most managers at that level so he was a bit of a cheap punt from their standpoint. 

• Like 1

I cannot believe all the fuss just because its Lampard. Would SSN spend a whole day prattling on if Sean Dyche got the push?

Yes he was a top club player. Terrific scorer from midfield.

But so were Bobbys Charlton and Moore, and world class players at that but failed as managers.

He did no more at Derby than other managers who were sacked and less at Chelsea than other managers who were sacked.

• Like 1

On 25/01/2021 at 11:58, king canary said:

I think this also highlights the danger of hiring club legends as managers- it will almost always end in tears and potentially harm their legacy. Bryan Gunn springs to mind. 

Success stories too though... Eddie Howe, Kevin Keegan (for a bit), Kenny Dalglish got Liverpool pumped for awhile.

20 hours ago, Foxy2600 said:

Can we hire Club Legend- Steve Bruce once ‘All the Germans’ unt Herr Webber has moved on? 

Bruce will have retired by then.