Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

How do we think Jamal Lewis is feeling right now?

I thought he had plateaued out and even lost a little bit of confidence by the end of his time with us. So from the club's and his bank balance's view, a move came at the right time for him. 

Bottom half of PL is probably his level right now but for a nice guy like Jamal, Newcastle is the wrong club. He'd be better off at a low profile club where he gets his head down and concentrate on his game. 

I am sure he'll be fine when Liverpool pick him up for a couple of million... Good coaching and tactics and he will be on the up. 

Jamal was earmarked as one we could afford to let go and there was actually a possibility of him leaving in January last year. 

I don’t know what came first though, whether he’d already started pushing for a move at that stage or if we decided he was dispensable. Sam Byram keeping him out of the team for a prolonged period when he was fully fit was the kicker though.

Whichever it was though, I wish him well and hope his form improves. Very nice lad from what I’m lead to believe and I’m always keen to see the vast majority of ex-players do well. 

Edited by Clint
  • Like 2

I think it was always pretty clear he was the most limited of our crop of youngsters- Aarons, Godfrey and Buendia all feel like they have the ability to be regulars at clubs playing in Europe, Lewis feels more like a player who'll spend most of his career at a lower Premier League/higher Championship level. I was a bit surprised to hear Liverpool were interested on that basis.

I have seen a few saying we've got 'better options' at left back now which I don't understand. Quintilla isn't all that, we've not seen the greek lad kick a ball and Sorenson is clearly playing out of position still. If Lewis came back he'd walk into our first team.

3 hours ago, king canary said:

I think it was always pretty clear he was the most limited of our crop of youngsters- Aarons, Godfrey and Buendia all feel like they have the ability to be regulars at clubs playing in Europe, Lewis feels more like a player who'll spend most of his career at a lower Premier League/higher Championship level. I was a bit surprised to hear Liverpool were interested on that basis.

I have seen a few saying we've got 'better options' at left back now which I don't understand. Quintilla isn't all that, we've not seen the greek lad kick a ball and Sorenson is clearly playing out of position still. If Lewis came back he'd walk into our first team.

Sorensen offers more of an attacking threat and wins more headers. Lewis a bit quicker and maybe better on the ball but the fact that Sorensen isn't a Left back is pretty irrelevant if he's playing very well there.

56 minutes ago, Mr.Carrow said:

Sorensen offers more of an attacking threat and wins more headers. Lewis a bit quicker and maybe better on the ball but the fact that Sorensen isn't a Left back is pretty irrelevant if he's playing very well there.

Have to agree to disagree on the attacking threat they offer but what someone like Lewis would give over Sorenson is more balance. Saying that Sorenson showed more of a willingness to use his left foot and go on the outside of the opposing fullback last time out so more of that would be good.

On 23/01/2021 at 22:29, Feedthewolf said:

Still think Lewis has the potential to be a success at PL level, whereas I don't think either of the Murphy lads will make it at that level.

Think most Newcastle fans will argue that over the course of this season... Jacob Murphy has done a lot better at right wing back than Jamal Lewis has at left wing back.

I wouldn't be against us trying to sign Jacob Murphy on a free transfer if he's planning on running his contract down.

10 hours ago, king canary said:

I think it was always pretty clear he was the most limited of our crop of youngsters

Agreed, great athlete but didn't have much depth technically.

Will have a decent career, but can't see him ever being much more than a bottom Prem / top Champs player, and I mean... we're the ultimate yo-yo team, but Newcastle got a relegation in him. 

I'd have been more than happy with Jamal Lewis at left back for us this season, but didn't consider him to be a player that we'd struggle to replace either, and the price can be considered 'very good' on the crap to fantastic scale. 

24 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Brucie will be gone very soon. I watched the last 10 mins, Newcastle a shambles really.

The way Newcastle recruit I wouldn’t bet against lambert ending up there and Bruce at Ipswich! Two basket case clubs 

7 hours ago, king canary said:

Have to agree to disagree on the attacking threat they offer but what someone like Lewis would give over Sorenson is more balance. Saying that Sorenson showed more of a willingness to use his left foot and go on the outside of the opposing fullback last time out so more of that would be good.

I literally barely remember Lewis ever getting in the area. A player who can register no goals and two assists in a high scoring promotion season is not an attacking full back.

Lewis was all over the shop for the first goal they conceded, wouldn't have happened playing for us, Hanley and Krul would have absolutely lynched him! 

I still think Jamal has a huge amount of ability and talent to offer, but it needs to be in the right set-up. He was always far more cautious than Aarons in attack, often turning back when plowing forward looked like the far better option. Someone like Liverpool would have been a good club for him, he could learn a lot from Robertson and Trent, but he wouldn't have been playing. I said at the time Newcastle just wasn't the right club for him, I think he'd have been better holding out for somebody like Leicester, Everton or even West Ham. I like Jamal and wish no bad for him, but sadly the lure of premier league football is too much for a lot of players to turn down, but as someone like Alex Pritchard will tell you, it doesn't always work out... Jamal is still very young, as I said before, just hope he didn't jump too soon and stunt his career.

Edited by AJ

41 minutes ago, AJ said:

Lewis was all over the shop for the first goal they conceded, wouldn't have happened playing for us, Hanley and Krul would have absolutely lynched him! 

Utter rubbish. If you actually watch it you will see him absolutely busting a gut - sprinting back about 50 metres to get in position after Newcastle lose the ball on the other side of the pitch to him. Meanwhile the rest of the Newcastle defenders are standing about like a bunch of spare pri**s at a wedding failing to mark or close down.  

15 hours ago, Mr.Carrow said:

I literally barely remember Lewis ever getting in the area. A player who can register no goals and two assists in a high scoring promotion season is not an attacking full back.

This is more of a comment on your memory than on Jamal Lewis Mr C. He set up plenty of chances and got forward loads in our Championship winning season. 

I was often frustrated by Lewis not taking his man on and crossing. He seemed capable of doing so but lacked the confidence maybe. Doesn't look like that will be the case with the new guy.

The only thing Lewis done was pass the ball sideways and backwards. Good money for average player otbc

36 minutes ago, Hucks6 said:

The only thing Lewis done was pass the ball sideways and backwards. Good money for average player otbc

Yeah - if you say so.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Yeah - if you say so.

Yeah unfortunately he did this no where near enough and as it says in the commentary only his second goal. Imo we did very well the money we got for him he is a bottom of the prem at best lb imo

A good servant who served us well. I hope he does well in the future.

I really don't understand why we have to rag players who have moved on. He was good while he was here and we got good money for him when we left.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mr.Carrow said:

Not sure if I'm missing something but whoscored has him down for four assists that season, two less than Aarons. 

39 minutes ago, king canary said:

Not sure if I'm missing something but whoscored has him down for four assists that season, two less than Aarons. 

Exactly, and his job isn't really to score goals, it is to defend and provide chances to score from the wide areas, which he did multiple times. He doesn't need to be in the area to do that, just get a good cross in

2 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Utter rubbish. If you actually watch it you will see him absolutely busting a gut - sprinting back about 50 metres to get in position after Newcastle lose the ball on the other side of the pitch to him. Meanwhile the rest of the Newcastle defenders are standing about like a bunch of spare pri**s at a wedding failing to mark or close down.  

Not completely true, yes he did bust a gut to get back, I didn't claim that he hadn't made the effort, but then he lost his man, and the man he lost went on to score.

I do hope Jamal has a rewarding career. I really enjoyed watching him play at Carrow Road and if the appointment of a new manager/coach is  rumoured to be on the horizon for his current club, then hopefully this new manager/coach will improve his play and bring out the best in Jamal.....

• Like 1

I would imagine that Jamal is feeling a bit happier about life this evening. His team have just had an excellent away win, he had a very good game and he set up the second goal with a cracking assist. 

Edited by Thirsty Lizard
  • Like 1

Just now, Thirsty Lizard said:

I would imagine that Jamal is feeling a bit happier about life this evening. His team have just had an excellent away win, he had a very game and he set up the second goal with a cracking assist. 

Agreed. That is the kind of thing that will win the fans over, they have something to latch on to now and can say, yes, this boy's got something.

He was noticeably (via the highlights) playing further up the pitch where he will be more effective. 

12 hours ago, lake district canary said:

they have something to latch on to now 

Like when Van Wolfswinkel won that header against Stoke in the middle of nowhere prior to Howson’s 25 yarder, and when he tackled that player once against Spurs and several passes later Snodgrass eventually scored.

Two moments of sheer brilliance from our record signing.