Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

How do we think Jamal Lewis is feeling right now?

He's at a club being managed by Steve cabbages Bruce, owned by Mike Ashley, in a squad full of dross and said club is doing nothing but losing and would no doubt be relegated if not for the sheer awfulness of the clubs just below them.

But hey at least he's getting paid twice as much with them as he was with us right? 🙃

He will be feeling fine. He's playing the game at the top level and earning good money and Newcastle is an alright place to be

He's probably spending time with Jacob Murphy reminiscing about how much better it was being a big fish in a small pond at Norwich.

Still think Lewis has the potential to be a success at PL level, whereas I don't think either of the Murphy lads will make it at that level. I think it's probably more a reflection on the way our academy runs now rather than a lack of talent or application on the part of the Murphys. Just can't help thinking that if the Webber/Farke era had started a couple of years earlier, both the Murphy twins would really have benefited from the investment and coaching in the Academy.

Edited by Feedthewolf

If they go down they will favourites to go back to so it's not all bad for him

1 hour ago, KiwiScot said:

He will be feeling fine. He's playing the game at the top level and earning good money and Newcastle is an alright place to be

This. Playing in the Premier League on PL wages is what players aspire to. Don't know if he is mates with Jacob, but if so, that will have helped him. He is no mug either and when his confidence is up, he is as good as anyone at getting forwards. What he needs is good support from the players around him and good management.

• Like 1

I always find it amusing that this the take on players that have left - they just did it for the money, didn't want to be with us anymore etc etc etc. We sold him, got a fair price for him, everyone's happy.

The reason players like the Murphy's and Lewis haven't been instant successes is that they were played in a system that suited their strengths. Steve Bruce isn't as bad as Pulis or Allardice, but he is certainly a bit more of the old school in terms of footballing style. Warnock is definitely more of the robust football oldschool way. If you had asked me which managers those two would flourish under, I would not be naming those managers. Right now, Josh is working under Neil Harris who is essentially more of the same.

Am I saying they are premier league ability? No. Are they good championship ability - definitely. If they can play in the right system.

That says incredible amounts for Farke and the coaching team. Lewis is definitely capable. But he won't thrive in a team that isn't as progressive with their football.

• Like 1

Spot on chicken, and I'm hoping players like Aaron's and Cantwell are looking at Lewis's plight and realising that staying here with a potential second crack at the prem impending in a team that loves you, where you're top dog in your position and are progressing well suddenly doesn't seem all that bad...

I believe Lewis more than has the talent to be a premier League regular eventually, I just hope for his sake he didn't leap too soon and miss the chance to join a better club, like Godfrey managed

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, chicken said:

I always find it amusing that this the take on players that have left - they just did it for the money, didn't want to be with us anymore etc etc etc. We sold him, got a fair price for him, everyone's happy.

The reason players like the Murphy's and Lewis haven't been instant successes is that they were played in a system that suited their strengths. Steve Bruce isn't as bad as Pulis or Allardice, but he is certainly a bit more of the old school in terms of footballing style. Warnock is definitely more of the robust football oldschool way. If you had asked me which managers those two would flourish under, I would not be naming those managers. Right now, Josh is working under Neil Harris who is essentially more of the same.

Am I saying they are premier league ability? No. Are they good championship ability - definitely. If they can play in the right system.

That says incredible amounts for Farke and the coaching team. Lewis is definitely capable. But he won't thrive in a team that isn't as progressive with their football.

Actually he's now working under Mick McCarthy now that Harris has been sacked. Out of the frying pan into the fire.........................

The damage was done long before Saint-Maximin and Fraser entered the fray. I didn’t watch right to the end but Newcastle looked far more threatening once those 2 came on, and that is no coincidence. They have certainly been missed, and if Bruce doesn’t get the bullet overnight, I bet things will start looking up for them now they’ve actually got some decent midfielders back. This in turn will surely only release the pressure on Jamal and restore some confidence back not only for him but the rest of the team too, so I wouldn’t write him off there as a failure just yet.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

This. Playing in the Premier League on PL wages is what players aspire to. Don't know if he is mates with Jacob, but if so, that will have helped him. He is no mug either and when his confidence is up, he is as good as anyone at getting forwards. What he needs is good support from the players around him and good management.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't fine tonight, he looked in tears at the end of the game. He's getting absolute pelters left, right and centre from their fans. 

His agent got him a pay rise but a terrible move and it is damaging his career. 

I'm gutted for the lad. 

• Like 1

Ben Godfrey is having fun, seems he is becoming bit of a cult player there. He is enjoying Ancelotti, one of the greatest coaches in the game, playing with the likes of James Rodriquez, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Calvert Lewin, Andre Gomes, Iwobi, Digne.

But yeah some of our players are able to absolutely maximize their talents because the playstyle and players gel together so well. Reason Buendia gets a million assists is because after he wriggles past a defensive midfielder Pukki is always making a perfect run, which gives Buendia the opportunity to relatively easily utilize his skillful passing and put Teemu in on goal. And for Pukki having Buendia behind him is what made him a name to be feared in the English game.

Coutinho was a superstar before he went to Barca. Those creative attacking midfielders need specific circumstances to succeed. Our players are like pieces in a delicate swiss watch, it cant be guaranteed that the parts will work as well in another watch

• Like 1

1 hour ago, non-scoring strikers said:

He's punching above his weight and getting found out for it. 

That Toon bought him after he proved he wasn't cut-out for the premier league is on them. 

Disagree. I think he is good enough for the premier League. It's the playing style. Had he moved to spurs, Everton, Leicester or Southampton he would be flying I'm sure.

Although Newcastle is a big club and nice place to be, and the fans love you if you play well, Bruce doesn't suit the attacking side back style a la Jamal Lewis. He may learn some nice defensive one on one techniques from Bruce but Jamal main asset was/is the assassination and attacking prowess, that's not going to be happening in a bruce team.

You would assume surely that newavstel will be taken over soon, or come end of season Bruce is gone (regardless if he keeps them up) you'd guess they would be a good fit for Eddie Howe, both kind of a sleeping giant and have something to prove, it's just if Ashely is the complete poison he has shown for a while and doesn't really want to put more money into them, or atleast enough to tempt Howe. 

I'll never understand this barely disguised delight that a player who came through our academy, gave us his all and was sold for a very good price is struggling. Same with the Murphy's.

Personally I feel sorry for Lewis right now and wish he was thriving. I'm sure in the right environment he will.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, king canary said:

I'll never understand this barely disguised delight that a player who came through our academy, gave us his all and was sold for a very good price is struggling. Same with the Murphy's.

Personally I feel sorry for Lewis right now and wish he was thriving. I'm sure in the right environment he will.

Ditto. A lovely lad who never let us down. He's playing in a system at Newcastle that just doesn't suit him. Sorenson and Aarons had similar difficulties yesterday with wide men standing in their space. 

Again i like Jamal don’t get me wrong but its either himself or the people around him that are letting him down. I get wanting to play in the PL is a must for all players but firstly wanting to go to Liverpool to be a bit part got me very wary at the start. 

He never really seemed to progress after a couple of years like i thought he would. Confidence is zapped from him. I’m just thankful the fans aren’t allowed in as they would crucify him. Steve Bruce was never going to be the manager to take him up to the next level. Not like Ancelotti with Godfrey. I hope he can turn it around and be the player we knew but i fear like the Murphy’s he’ll be shipped off on loan to various Championship clubs and never really reach the heights that he could. 

I liked the lad and wish him all the best.  He did well for us, and didn’t let us down.  He took an opportunity to stay in the Premier and we aren’t guaranteed to return. 

Not sure he is better than those who have replaced him, so all good.

He may have the last laugh yet, although unlike some on here he may not gloat about it.

Unfortunately he's playing for one of the most overrated managers in history. Newcastle do not have a bad squad, just a dinosaur in charge.

As per usual you have to question the input of some players agents. In their greed they are willing to sell any club to a player if it earns them top dollar. 

Jamal probably had to leave us. I imagine he was flagged as a player that could raise us funds that we could fairly straightforwardly replace, but from then on it’s down to his agent to act in his best interests and I don’t think a move to a basket case club like Newcastle would really be in any young players best interests nor do I see how being a back up at Liverpool could be in his best interests.

He was rumoured to be going to Crystal Palace at some point. Probably would’ve been a far more sensible option. 

Agents have a lot to answer for in this game. I hope Todd won’t be the next to succumb to their greed and I’ll placed advice is all I can say. 

Edited by Coneys Knee

7 hours ago, shruk4 said:

Ben Godfrey is having fun, seems he is becoming bit of a cult player there. 

That’s because Godfrey is a very good player , and has more rounded attributes than Lewis. It’s no surprise that he has settled into Prem life better than Jamal . 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

While some might think we have all the jewels in the crown at our club, the fact is we haven't.

Who out of squad would get into a regular starting position in the big clubs? Godfrey has because Everton have brought in a top coach and some top players.

But in reality, I'm not sure even Emi would break into one of the top teams on a regular basis.

So I think Jamal has gone to a club that is about his level. Newcastle, with a decent manager, are a mid to lower EPL club. I also think its the level for Todd and Max. Emi may have a chance at mid table and above. If Villa sold Grealish, I could see him fitting in there for example.

• Like 2

Couldn’t wait to leave personally don’t give a toss. He probably doesn’t either, Bank balance comes to mind

I think he probably feels a little richer. The irony is that despite how poor they have been, there is enough teams below them to probably see them safe. If Bruce goes and they get Benitez back then they will be fine and he will probably push on. I harbour no feelings of ill will towards him, he carried on with Pre-season like a pro despite the liverpool interest and we got a good price, especially if we have appearances tied into the add ons.

26 minutes ago, Hucks6 said:

Couldn’t wait to leave personally don’t give a toss. He probably doesn’t either, Bank balance comes to mind

Jamal only gets one career.  Football is a very binary sport, when you win it is great, and when you lose terrible.  He will have played another season in the premier league.  He does not seem a good fit, but he will have learnt a lot, and the next move will probably be better choice.  In the meantime he has been paid more.  He was great for us, this is overly simplistic but him leaving has allowed us to bring in Mumba, Sorensen, Hugill, Soto, Xavi, and Giannoulis.  Ultimately our model needs players to leave, so I wish them all the best.  If we only recruited / played players who were blindly loyal to us we wouldn’t be challenging for promotion.

3 hours ago, king canary said:

Indeed. Yet players like Maddison (who only really turned out for us for one season) and Godfrey are still very much supported.

I really hope things work out for him, because although each player is judged on his own merits, I think it's helpful if the products from our academy go on to be successful with their new club. 

Regarding Lewis in particular, I've always felt his lack of ability with his right foot woul hinder his overall career potential. He was vulnerable to a ball played inside him when with us and always looks to go on the outside - if he can't he checks and plays back. And the clearance he attempted yesterday with his left, when the right would have been better, nearly gifted Villa a third goal. 

This is in stark contrast to Aarons, who's comfortable with both feet. 

He seemed a nice lad when he was at CR probably feels a bit low at the moment THEN he puts it all behind him as he reads his Bank Statement