18 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

We both got that from Wiki?

Pinch of sodium chloride needed?

He's likely not far off that. He's a prime candidate to end up at West Ham who love hoovering up expensive players from the big 6 clubs when they leave. He isn't turning up in a Norwich shirt anytime soon though.

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/manchester-united-fc/payroll/

Spotrac has it at £75 grand. Either way, no way is he coming here.

Just bouncing off ideas ... that's discussion for you.

You are probably correct, but I'd never state it as fact any more than I'd state that any of the other various suggestions are likely.

35 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

What's a number 9 nowaday? Is Pukki that? Even Gayle? I suppose Andy Carroll is. Holty was.

Goalscorers  come in a variety of forms these days.

I've just investigated Lingard, as I originally mentioned him off the top of my head.

He has not had a PL outing this season (Covid intervened apparently.)

His £100, 000 pw contract expires this year.

Could be a player for us beyond this season?

May be not at that price.

He's not a striker in any shape or form. He most usually played in a midfield three, or from wider positions. Not sure he's ever been someone capable of leading the line. If we go up, I'm sure there'd still be someone else in the PL who'd be able to offer him more wages than us given that there's no transfer fee involved. Not the kind of player we're likely to sign IMO.

No chance Lingard will drop down to the Championship. Tbh not sure I would him anyway. His wages are probably more than Max, Emi and Todd put together, so well out of our league.

15 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

He's not a striker in any shape or form. He most usually played in a midfield three, or from wider positions. Not sure he's ever been someone capable of leading the line. If we go up, I'm sure there'd still be someone else in the PL who'd be able to offer him more wages than us given that there's no transfer fee involved. Not the kind of player we're likely to sign IMO.

No, he's an attacking midfielder who has scored goals at international level (and with some efficiency at Brum and others in the Chumps.)

I refer you to a previous posting which I had upvoted:

"In my opinion we've been short a striker since Grant Holt left. We've had some great attackers since then, but always lacked a decent third choice. We were incredibly lucky that our midfield were so prolific and Pukki stayed fit two years ago. Our first three choices are currently injured, hopefully not for too long. Even if all three were fit, I still believe we need another pacy attacker that fits our system a little better."

This discussion might be about another 'striker,' but we are really talking about another goal-getter.

Having said that Lingard,  even if Man. U. agreed to pay most of his wages, is probably not quite what is required.

Just an idea. Lively goal-getter  ... we are struggling with goals now and seem to have a preponderance of 'near-miss merchants' and we rarely score more than two, even against the weakest.  

•  

Michael Bailey says that Hugill needs a scan, Omotoye might go on loan to League One dependent on the scan results. Club reluctant to bring anyone in as it might only be for a few games, Pukki and Idah are close to return and they want to give Soto time to settle.

Its a difficult situation.

We need someone who can make an instant impact so that rules out a free agent who would likely need a couple of weeks at least to gte up to speed.

We can't really go for a permanent signing because then we'd likely need someone who can play at Premier League level too and that is going to be expensive. So you're likely looking at a loan.

Teams won't loan out top youngsters in this situation as they will likely be on the bench by the end of February.

So you're likely looking for a veteran who a team wants off the books for 6 months who won't be expecting to start week in week out.

12 minutes ago, king canary said:

Its a difficult situation.

We need someone who can make an instant impact so that rules out a free agent who would likely need a couple of weeks at least to gte up to speed.

We can't really go for a permanent signing because then we'd likely need someone who can play at Premier League level too and that is going to be expensive. So you're likely looking at a loan.

Teams won't loan out top youngsters in this situation as they will likely be on the bench by the end of February.

So you're likely looking for a veteran who a team wants off the books for 6 months who won't be expecting to start week in week out.

that narrows it down and Rhodes fits that book.

4 minutes ago, Canary73 said:

Yeah, I was anti signing him this summer but in these circumstances it makes sense, especially as he knows how we play.

2 hours ago, Canary73 said:

Except he’s only played 70 minutes for Sheff Weds since the end of November-probably ok if we need to put on a sub in the last few minutes but not if we’re looking for someone to step in as a starter if Teemu isn’t playing.

I agree Rhodes is a good option. He was a great back-up to pukki two years ago and he only has six months on his contract. He knows our set up and likes the club.

On 23/01/2021 at 22:48, Petriix said:

In my opinion we've been short a striker since Grant Holt left. We've had some great attackers since then, but always lacked a decent third choice. We were incredibly lucky that our midfield were so prolific and Pukki stayed fit two years ago. Our first three choices are currently injured, hopefully not for too long. Even if all three were fit, I still believe we need another pacy attacker that fits our system a little better.

Two seans after Holt left,we signed Jerome, Grabban, and Lafferty, while we also had Hooper and Wolfsvinkel  out on loan. That provided quite enough depth, although Grabban and Laffs were pretty unhappy because of the lack of playtime.    

I think people need to go into the mindset that we only play one striker most weeks so we're not going to go into a season with 4 or 5 first team level players in this position. 

We've been hugely unlucky with injuries this season for our forwards- every single striker on our books has missed multiple games at some point this season. This isn't like the left back situation where we went at it short on numbers, you unfortunately can't legislate for 3 or 4 players all being injured in a single position.

What we don't really have right now is a player who can play upfront as well as part of the midfield 3- Idah kind of does this but he's a backup in both roles. What you need is likely a Son Heung Min type player who naturally starts in attacking midfield but is capable of playing up top when needed. 

On 23/01/2021 at 22:26, Feedthewolf said:

Would rather we got Soto or Idah more game time than signed an unfit 37-year-old who couldn't get in the squad at Watford.

The same applies to almost any loan striker imo. If we loan someone in, we run the risk of hampering the development of our own players.

Just now, Badger said:

The same applies to almost any loan striker imo. If we loan someone in, we run the risk of hampering the development of our own players.

I'm not sure if this is still the rules but with Soto if he plays even one game for us he'd have reached the limit of clubs he can play for this season thus ending his chance of going out on loan. So I imagine the club is thinking long and hard about whether he's better off starting a couple of games for us and then maybe back to the u23's or going out on loan. Omotoye doesn't have the seem issue in the short term at least.

17 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

He's also on 100 grand a week.

Not only that he's  more preoccupied  with his clothing line than his football.  Absolutely  a No from me. ... never mind the wages feel the commitment 

Could probably get Rhodes on a loan till end of the season, Sheff Weds desperate to cut costs.

Knows the club, manager, way we play and most of the team.

I’d love someone like Gayle but Rhodes would be a decent option to give that little bit of support/cover up top until end of the season.

• Like 1

The Swindon Assistant Manager has said they were able to get Omotoye in the end as Hugill's injury isn't that bad. So can't see us getting another striker in.

5 hours ago, king canary said:

What you need is likely a Son Heung Min type player who naturally starts in attacking midfield but is capable of playing up top when needed.

Shame we didn't look to sign him when I suggested it 7 years ago...

14 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Aye, but he'd  have been  sold  a couple of years later.😇

3 hours ago, Indy_Bones said:

I’m sure he would have turned down a top 3 Bundesliga team and Champions League football for a relegation battle in the Premiership 🤣

10 hours ago, Budapest Canary said:

Two seans after Holt left,we signed Jerome, Grabban, and Lafferty, while we also had Hooper and Wolfsvinkel  out on loan. That provided quite enough depth, although Grabban and Laffs were pretty unhappy because of the lack of playtime.    

I think you've made my point; unless in the parallel universe you're from Kyle Lafferty was a quality, pacey striker who gave us a genuine alternative.

I will always maintain that any squad challenging at the sharp end of the league ideally needs four decent striker options, even if they normally only play one up front. I can't accept ending any transfer window without at least three fit, first team strikers. As far as I can tell, we currently have zero.

9 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

I’m sure he would have turned down a top 3 Bundesliga team and Champions League football for a relegation battle in the Premiership 🤣

Bear in mind that this would have been before that god awful season where we went down, when we finished 11th and had already agreed the deal to bring RvW in, so not a relegation battle at all at that point.

Would he have turned down Leverkeusen for us? Possibly not, but we might have agreed the deal before they came in for him (like we did with RvW).

10 hours ago, Petriix said:

I think you've made my point; unless in the parallel universe you're from Kyle Lafferty was a quality, pacey striker who gave us a genuine alternative.

I will always maintain that any squad challenging at the sharp end of the league ideally needs four decent striker options, even if they normally only play one up front. I can't accept ending any transfer window without at least three fit, first team strikers. As far as I can tell, we currently have zero.

Drmic

2 hours ago, Indy_Bones said:

Bear in mind that this would have been before that god awful season where we went down, when we finished 11th and had already agreed the deal to bring RvW in, so not a relegation battle at all at that point.

Would he have turned down Leverkeusen for us? Possibly not, but we might have agreed the deal before they came in for him (like we did with RvW).

Yeah but what about Ter Stergen and Nani?

I love how you still bring that thread up as if it wasn't largely insane.

If we've paying Drmic, why not give him a game? Could even help get him shifted in the window.

Usually, we'd put Stiepermann up there, but he's out. I suspect Hernandez and Placheta might get a half each, or one starts, one on the bench. Both on the pitch at the same time doesn't work, as Barnsley showed us.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

If we've paying Drmic, why not give him a game? Could even help get him shifted in the window.

Usually, we'd put Stiepermann up there, but he's out. I suspect Hernandez and Placheta might get a half each, or one starts, one on the bench. Both on the pitch at the same time doesn't work, as Barnsley showed us.

I'm skeptical about either of them upfront due to the fact I think Boro can just sit deep and neutralize their pace. 

I get the sense bringing Drmic back in would be like bringing in a free transfer- he won't have trained much with the team and would likely need some time to get up to speed.

5 hours ago, Indy_Bones said:

We were in the bottom half for almost all of the season and only secured safety in the penultimate match-we had been in a relegation battle all season.