Depends on when Pukki is back, how far long with his recovery Idah is and how bad Hugill's injury is. Farke seemed to indicate that Pukki and maybe even Idah will be okay for next week so if that's correct the answer is 'no' at the moment. 

• Like 2

Was discussing this on another thread... I think Pukki, Idah and Soto should be sufficient. If Hugill just had a mild hamstring pull, he could be back in three weeks. We're never going to play with two up top, so we should be fine with what we've got.

Obviously if Pukki's injury is worse than it appears, we'll definitely need backup.

In my opinion we've been short a striker since Grant Holt left. We've had some great attackers since then, but always lacked a decent third choice. We were incredibly lucky that our midfield were so prolific and Pukki stayed fit two years ago. Our first three choices are currently injured, hopefully not for too long. Even if all three were fit, I still believe we need another pacy attacker that fits our system a little better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Petriix said:

In my opinion we've been short a striker since Grant Holt left. We've had some great attackers since then, but always lacked a decent third choice. We were incredibly lucky that our midfield were so prolific and Pukki stayed fit two years ago. Our first three choices are currently injured, hopefully not for too long. Even if all three were fit, I still believe we need another pacy attacker that fits our system a little better.

It's an interesting point about the type of striker. Obviously Hugill is the Plan B 'big lad' striker, whereas Idah seems to be a fair all-round prospect (decent height, quite strong, relatively quick but not outstanding in any one attribute). Omotoye looks in a similar mould although he's too young to really make a judgement; what do we know about Soto? I think he's scored a couple of headers for the USA, but not sure what his strongest attributes are. If he's been recalled to play for us (which it seems as though he has), could he be that player perhaps? His goalscoring record is very good, has anyone actually seen him play?

I think it hugely depends on how severe the Hugill injury is, combined with what Farke makes of Soto.

If Hugill is out for more than a month though I think we'll need to consider the loan market.

18 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think it hugely depends on how severe the Hugill injury is, combined with what Farke makes of Soto.

If Hugill is out for more than a month though I think we'll need to consider the loan market.

If we were looking for a short term, but experienced replacement for Hugill, Glenn Murrary might fit the bill.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

If we were looking for a short term, but experienced replacement for Hugill, Glenn Murrary might fit the bill.

Would rather we got Soto or Idah more game time than signed an unfit 37-year-old who couldn't get in the squad at Watford.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I thought he’d be decent at Watford but his age has caught up with him-definitely not worth getting.

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

Holt, Morrison, Jackson and Martin - the trio that were moved on and replaced with Elmander, RVW and Hooper. Says it all doesn't it really.

Jerome was a decent striker for us. Perhaps not as much depth.

Pukki had Rhodes and Srbeny as back up last time in the Championship.

I'm not sure about now. Maybe a loan. Might be we could loan Rhodes to the end of the season? Same age as Pukki, knows the league, did well for us last time. If needed. He's out of contract in the summer so could suit all parties.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, chicken said:

Holt, Morrison, Jackson and Martin - the trio that were moved on and replaced with Elmander, RVW and Hooper. Says it all doesn't it really.

Jerome was a decent striker for us. Perhaps not as much depth.

Pukki had Rhodes and Srbeny as back up last time in the Championship.

I'm not sure about now. Maybe a loan. Might be we could loan Rhodes to the end of the season? Same age as Pukki, knows the league, did well for us last time. If needed. He's out of contract in the summer so could suit all parties.

Feel we definitely need to get someone in.Don't think Idah or Soto can be expected to step up and fill the position of Pukki if,god forbid ,we lost him thru injury.Given the position we are in at moment,it would be nonsensical of Webber not to cover this possibility.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Feel we definitely need to get someone in.Don't think Idah or Soto can be expected to step up and fill the position of Pukki if,god forbid ,we lost him thru injury.Given the position we are in at moment,it would be nonsensical of Webber not to cover this possibility.

Unless Webber and Co are better judges of Idah and Soto than you or me?

Remember, it was our fans who couldn't believe we hadn't signed another CB in the summer, or another LB, and how could we possibly think it acceptable that Sorensen covers those two positions.

I'm not entirely sure we could get better than Idah in a January window where we are going to be essentially saying they're at best backup to Pukki, at worse 3rd choice.

• Like 2

I think only Farke knows the current injury situation but we seem to be having a few striker injuries and we really don’t want to short. They will have to make a good assessment on the amount of time hudgill will be out and how long Idah will take to be up to speed but there is the potential to bring in one more of Soto isn’t ready. I would say similar with CB’s - Zimmermans injury woe is starting to look worrying, I would be tempted to bring Famewo back if he is fit enough 

Yes.

Still half the season to go. Pukki seems jaded with the arrival of mini Teemu, understandble. Hugill just starting to get settled and another injury puts him on the sidelines. Idah, jury still out for me, I can't decide if he's the big lad upfront or more like a Teemu. Neither at the moment. Soto, nobody knows if he's anywhere near good enough. Might be lightweight.

If we were mid-table going nowhere then I would go with what we have, but we need promotion this season, the stakes are too high.

I think it's imperative we sign a striker on loan now. We can't just rely on youth team players to provide a stop gap. The risk is just too high for us slipping up points. I would be looking at Nketiah style options asap

Should never have let Dennis go.

That apart, we have enough for this season, assuming Pukki and Idah are healed. Soto needs evaluation beyond the hype of course. But who knows?

Save the dosh for next season if we go up. That we get a.n.other top, top striker either through scouting or the chequebook is imperative in that case.

Rhodes is my only exception to that view. Who doesn't like a "sniffer?" And I'm not talking about dogs of the canine variety.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Definitely get someone in if Pukki remains injured and permit issues remain with Soto. We’re sitting pretty at the top but that lead could evaporate with a couple of bad results. 

Dwight Gayle on loan till the end of the season would push us over the line I reckon. I know I know, he doesn’t fit our “model” but he’d get goals for sure. Plus we could knock a bit off what Newcastle owes us for Lewis and or Murphy I reckon.

Edited by Coneys Knee
  • Like 1

Diego Costa is still available. Or, lowering our sights slightly, Kyle Lafferty has just been released (again). 

Two players I always wanted at the club were Ben Gibson and Dwight Gayle.  We got 1 out of 2!. Gayle would guarantee us promotion- he hardly gets a kick for Newcastle.  He will score us goals and is an ideal lower Prem- top Championship striker. Promotion will get us huge amounts of money and it is by no means guaranteed currently. Wages I see would be the issue. Pukki needs some decent competition and we don’t convert enough chances. I don’t want it to cost us at the end of this season. The club needs to take a small risk occasionally.

• Like 2

Might I respectively suggest Jesse Lingard.

Totally off the boil at Man.U. despite reaching the heights under Southgate and for England.

The likes of Gayle, even Rhodes actually have the whiff of last pay day about them, although I would never object to either.

Was JL injured or does Olle not fancy him? Lively little goal-scorer probably looking for a temporary outlet.

Edited by BroadstairsR

9 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Might I respectively suggest Jesse Lingard.

Totally off the boil at Man.U. despite reaching the heights under Southgate and for England.

The likes of Gayle, even Rhodes actually have the whiff of last pay day about them, although I would never object to either.

Was JL injured or does Olle not fancy him? Lively little goal-scorer probably looking for a temporary outlet.

Not a number 9, better playing between the lines. Would definitely attract PL suitors too.

I think if we're looking for a PL loan, it's likely to be someone a little further down the pecking order... maybe Folarin Balogun or Liam Delap.

5 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Not a number 9, better playing between the lines. Would definitely attract PL suitors too.

I think if we're looking for a PL loan, it's likely to be someone a little further down the pecking order... maybe Folarin Balogun or Liam Delap.

He's also on 100 grand a week.

With any suggestion, you are asking a lot for them to come in and do a job straight away. Rhodes maybe ok as he will be fully up to speed on farkeball, but the rest?   Can you see any of them doing the work that Hugill and Pukki do up front - and for the team?  I can't, I'd rather we stuck to what we've got, for better or worse.

17 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

What's a number 9 nowaday? Is Pukki that? Even Gayle? I suppose Andy Carroll is. Holty was.

Goalscorers  come in a variety of forms these days.

I've just investigated Lingard, as I originally mentioned him off the top of my head.

He has not had a PL outing this season (Covid intervened apparently.)

His £100, 000 pw contract expires this year.

Could be a player for us beyond this season?

May be not at that price.

Edited by BroadstairsR

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

He's also on 100 grand a week.

We both got that from Wiki?

Pinch of sodium chloride needed?

Edited by BroadstairsR