Was quiet but equally any of our decent breaks invariably involved the ball coming from him  

• Like 1

Have to be forgiving of the disjointed attacking play- three attacking midfielders who haven't played together and all coming back from injury.

Saying that I dont think any of them exactly gave Farke a decision to make next weekend.

• Like 2

Our midfield performance today showed precisely why/how you can’t change all personnel and expect it to work, and it played to Barnsley’s strength.  Dowell was no better or worse than any of the others. The pitch didn’t help but that isn’t an excuse, I’m sure Barnsley would prefer it to be better than it is.

Just too many players with very few matches under their belts for weeks. Can't expect them to perform at top levels. Dowell was good pre-season, but will need games to get up to speed, and that clearly shows.

Likewise Rupp was awesome before his injury, but looked rusty today. Hopefully this game will sharpen him up, as presumably he will be partnering Skipp in midfield next Saturday.

• Like 3

like many of the returnee's he badly needed the run out. Today will have done him the world of good..

• Like 1

Yes he was quiet, but look at the two good chances we did make in the second half. The first of them he does a delightful dummy to put Placheta in and the second came from his incisive through ball to put Placheta clean through down the left. Certainly looks like there's a good player in there. 

14 minutes ago, 65Vintage said:

Just too many players with very few matches under their belts for weeks. Can't expect them to perform at top levels. Dowell was good pre-season, but will need games to get up to speed, and that clearly shows.

Likewise Rupp was awesome before his injury, but looked rusty today. Hopefully this game will sharpen him up, as presumably he will be partnering Skipp in midfield next Saturday.

If Gianoullis and Quintilla are available I would be inclined to put Sorensen in there. Ruup was excellent early season but Sorensen looks a class above and Ruup does look very rusty.

• Like 1

Dowell Will be good for us. I was really looking forward to watching him this season but injuries have been hard on him. Today wasn’t great but might be a good reminder for us that teams at this level will compete if you don’t match them for energy and work rate. Too many players rusty today, fully understandable to be honest - a real shame on Hudgil just as he was getting in to his stride. Would anyone else try and bring in one more striker in the last few days of this window? It might be overkill but side strains can be hard to shake, I know this from playing cricket, Idah has been out for a long time and now Hudgil with a hammy could be 4-6 weeks.

money is of course always an issue but I would try and bring in a loan player - unless Soto is ready to play at this level. Anyone got any ideas? 

As mentioned above, he'll need time to show what he can do.

Whilst I don't want to criticise his performance last night, the Everton/Forest/Wigan/Sheff Utd fans said that he often goes disappearing when the going gets tough, so I was/will be keeping an eye out for that.

Reserving judgement until he's settled into the team. I'm surprised at people jumping in early on - we've had enough this season of players eventually stepping up when getting a few games in a row under their belts. Rupp, McGovern, Hugill to name but three.

There's definitely a player in there, and as evidenced by the goal he scored against Luton, there's also someone who can hit a first-timer from outside the box to some effect, which is a weapon we don't make much use of.

I think he is clearly a good player.  If he performed at his best all the time he would still be at Everton.  He needs an extended spell in the team.  The problem he has is there is the competition for that role, so he needs to get fit and push for the opportunity.

6 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

You're not from round here ,are you?

Fair point! 😄

I just thought people might have seen the patterns.

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Fair point! 😄

I just thought people might have seen the patterns.

Oh, we've seen the patterns alright.....and they aint pretty.

3 hours ago, Newtopia said:

I think he is clearly a good player.  If he performed at his best all the time he would still be at Everton.  He needs an extended spell in the team.  The problem he has is there is the competition for that role, so he needs to get fit and push for the opportunity.

Indeed, he’s proved in several championship loans that he is very good at this level. 

I guess the question is whether he can develop into a Premier League player here. 

• Like 1

He definitely needs time and farke has an excellent track record of improving players. He doesn’t, understandably,  look very fit and his sharpness isn’t there. Will be useful for the rest of the season but personally I can’t see him being good enough to start next season if we get promoted. Hope to be proved wrong though. 

Haven't seen anything that excites me about him. A level below Cantwell and Buendia. On the plus side, he can only improve with game time and coaching from Farke, but a long way from being good enough for the PL. 

Edited by Rock The Boat

Interestingly I was chatting with one of my clients today, who is an Everton fan, and he's said what a lot of others seem to say - Dowell's talented but can go missing.

Based on Saturdays game the few papers ( including the edp ) that carry ratings out of ten had Krul as our best player and Dowell as our second best player. 
As fans we do tend to write players off far to quickly, and that applies to fans all over the world, likewise we can say players are sensational after their 1st game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

Haven't seen anything that excites me about him. A level below Cantwell and Buendia. On the plus side, he can only improve with game time and coaching from Farke, but a long way from being good enough for the PL. 

The thing with being a level below Cantwell and Buendia though is that in 3 or 4 years time, when they should be approaching the peak of their careers, the 2 of them will be at a level way above this club. Dowell isn't as good as they are, but will possibly be easily good enough for us one day.