Sign in to follow this  
Petriix

Ploughed field and rusty midfield

We're really missing Cantwell and Buendia in particular, but the whole midfield are off the pace; which is unsurprising given their lack of recent game time. That's the joy of the cup though as it gives them a chance to get some minutes without any real pressure. Still, it's always disappointing when no one takes the opportunity to make a claim for a first team place.

I'd really like to see Martin and Mumba given at least 30 minutes. Still, it's pretty tricky conditions when you're used to playing on a better surface; and the officiating has been pretty questionable. I wouldn't be too unhappy to go out at this stage in any case. Barnsley are clearly more up for it than we are. 

• Like 1

It’s a bit of a wake up for if we don’t go up and lose the likes of Emi Todd Pukki . Big squad yes, strength in depth .. not so much even taking into account match fitness for a few(Onel Rupp Dowell)

The next generation of youngsters are of course the missing piece however.

I don't think you can read too much into anything from that performance on that pitch. It may be a bonus to go out of the cup early.

The whole midfield were pretty poor, but they're hardly going to be a cohesive unit. Neither Tettey or Rupp look like they will be a great replacement for McLean on that showing, but Rupp did show glimpses of quality. Dowell and Hernandez were pretty much anonymous and Placheta, who saw a fair bit of the ball, was very disappointing.

If Hugill is out for any length of time then we absolutely have to sign a striker. We needed one anyway. There is no way we'll stay top of the league without the necessary firepower.