cambridgeshire canary

***UNOFFICAL MATCH THREAD***

Fair play to Barnsley, one of the best performances against us this season and they worked incredibly hard all game. I'm annoyed to be out of the cup that early but can't have any complaints, we barely laid a glove on them today. 

Missed most of the second half, pleased I did. One to forget, have a moan and move on, or just move on.

Best team won comfortably. We were incredibly poor and the fringe players have done nothing to give Farke any selection headaches. Barnsley’s press was impressive and surprising that they continued it for the full match. Very disappointing 

17 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Much as I love Alex Tettey, he seems  to be only useful to close out a game now. 

He has never been good enough with the ball to try to play this system. He can't control it quickly enough and his passes are never quite right. It has always been the same. He can do a job of protecting a lead but he has never properly fitted the way we try to play.

Yes there were changes but we were worked over by a Championship side. This season isn't over by a long way.

Strength in depth is a concern.

Lots of credit to Barnsley for that performance, great pressing and work rate all game, all the changes in the starting XI were players without a lot of recent playing time so unsurprising that they didn't look great.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Man of the match- Krul

Man who needs sacked- Barnsleys groundskeeper

But seriously - I think Norwich would have had a box of spare long studs. And Rupp is obviously Red Green colourblind

Better off out of it....the fa cup has served its purpose of giving some players sone minutes.

The next round doesnt have a dedicated weekend...instead its scheduled to be played midweek. The fixtures from next week are sat-midweek-sat through to March as it is.

We'll have a midweek off amongst that now instead of getting a beating from Chelsea

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NFN FC said:

Boooooooo

Turn your boo into a cheer. Binners lose in another Anglian derby.🤣

Just now, FenwayFrank said:

Kings Lynn have managed to chuck away a 2-0 lead to lose 3-2

I’m more disappointed at that than with our loss!!!

Slightly strange to have gone with the formation we did, 5 guys in midfield all coming back from spells out gave no cohesion and ultimately played to their strength.  Annoyed that we didn’t do as well as we could but the bigger picture is not today but the next 22 games. 

That was awful. Improved after the subs and finally showed some urgency but very, very frustrating and not many positives.

i find watching Placheta so unbelievably frustrating at times. Makes me want to smash the screen about 5 times a game. 

4 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Well, It hasn't exactly been a thrilling afternoon's viewing.

Compared to what I've just watched the Test Card used to be more interesting

I always wondered if she ever won that game of oxo?

image.jpeg.a7a5ac7cf3e1cf7f198a2408f208dc73.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

We should have learned to win a game by getting no shots on target, like Peterborough have just done.........................

No shots on target isn’t right, Emi’s was absolutely goalbound - not sure why that wouldn’t count.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Well, I think firstly we all have to say that Barnsley were really good today, they were organised and worked extremely hard. Probably a little wasteful with chances, but I don't think we can have any complaints.

I think I have to agree with some of the others that the two out and out wingers didn't seem to work. I think we can also see the difference and also value Skipp has over Tetty, and thats his willingness to drive forward with the ball rather than turn and play it backwards. Placheta is such a hard one to figure out, should have scored.. probably should have been more selfish and not played in Buendia. I cant tell if its because we haven't quite worked out the best way to play with him yet, but I just expected a lot more balls into the channels for him, at the moment his touch and control just isn't good enough at times. Dowell very quiet, we know he's a good player, but i think he suffered from a norwich that was being penned in at the back.

For me the worst thing about this was seeing Hugill go off. That really is a sickner and might see the whole Soto situation unfold in a different way to 9am this morning, especially if pukki isn't 100% yet.

• Like 1

Bah, sometimes you just have to say the better side won. The pitch wasn't conducive to the passing game we play anyway. Bigger fish to fry than a cup competition we're not winning anyway, move on 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Thankfully out of the cup.👍

Unnecessary distraction

I just can’t see how such a strong line up playing that poorly is anything but bad for our league prospects and confidence / momentum. Farke clearly wanted us to win this match and put out a team which he felt would be strong enough. We fell way short.

Hopefully we bounce back on Saturday!

I can’t be that concerned. The defence played well given the lack of support from midfield. Tettey was awful, Rupp was ok given his lay off. The attackers were well off the pace and lacked cohesion but that’s to be expected as they’ve never played together and not played a great deal at all, over the last few months. Thought Onel did ok and Placheta looked dangerous but his end product is poor. Dowell was disappointing but again, has barely played.

Lets concentrate on the league and hope we have a forward available for next weekend! 

They were good and put our rusties under a lot of pressure which worked. I maintain that Placheta isn't that effective. Loads of people on here seem to be really excited by him based almost solely on the fact that he's fast. You need more than speed to be effective in any league, but especially the EFL. His touch and decision making were poor today. He's young though so hopefully lots to come. Dowell on the other hand worries me more. Didn't offer anything and has been around in the English game for long enough to be better.

Edited by Canarywary

3 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Yes there were changes but we were worked over by a Championship side. This season isn't over by a long way.

Strength in depth is a concern.

Dont think its the strength in depth.Its simply to many players brought in who were playing catch up with fitness. Barnsley knew this this and played accordingly.They fully deserved it.Can't really blame Farke.Players needed resting.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Herman said:

Turn your boo into a cheer. Binners lose in another Anglian derby.🤣

Booooooooowhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyy!

41 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

The Daleks and Cybermen used to make me do that......

Quatermass & The Pit (telly version) for me, specially when the ground started shaking ...   🥴

2 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

Booooooooowhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyy!

👍👍😂😂

17 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

He has never been good enough with the ball to try to play this system. He can't control it quickly enough and his passes are never quite right. It has always been the same. He can do a job of protecting a lead but he has never properly fitted the way we try to play.

Makes you wonder how he's managed to stay here for 9 seasons and play 250 games under 4 different managers doesn't it? 

• Like 1

I said two wingers was not a good idea. Barnsley fully deserved that win, but at least most of our players returning from injury got some quality game time in their legs and a couple of the regulars got a short blast out. Fair play to Barnsley and they did well to keep that intensity up for 90. Credit their coach and their training.

1 minute ago, ron obvious said:

Quatermass & The Pit (telly version) for me, specially when the ground started shaking ...   🥴

Anyone remember the singing ringing tree ? Scared the crap out of me