cambridgeshire canary

***UNOFFICAL MATCH THREAD***

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

This could be 6-0 such is Barnsley's dominance.

Really?  Not one of those ‘chances’ was particularly great, mostly from distance and all straight at Krul.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 2

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

Not many clear cut chances, not sure how you'd get to 6..

Would rather we lost this than having it go to ET

Bear 

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Imagine having that much possestion yet only 2 shots.. and not a single one on target! Pretty pathetic. Just glad it's only the cup..

yikes.png

Bear in mind that our front 6 players are very much second choice and some have barely played at all this season. 

Pretty pathetic from the stats really.How on earth can you give your oppisiton so little of the ball yet so many chances?

Hopefuly Farke gives them a talking too.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

3 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Is your forename "wet"?

• Haha 3

Barnsley are brilliant at pressing, but surely they can't keep that up for all of the second half? Hopefully should be a bit better with them tiring, the sun not being in Max's eyes and hopefully a few words from Farke to settle things down a bit. 

This pitch doesn't really suit our style of play. For all their 'chances' it's still level. Fancy us to grind out a win. 

Barnsley's press have undoubtedly caused us problems, but much like the league game a few weeks ago, it's hard to imagine that once we get past the hour mark they won't start to really tire and sit off us. Keep it 0-0 until that point and, with the players we have on the bench; Emi, Vrancic, Martin, Mumba, it's hard to imagine that we won't then dominate the final half an hour or so, and hopefully grab a goal.

Just hope it doesn't go to extra time more than anything. I wouldn't actually mind a next round tie against Chelsea though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Pretty pathetic from the stats really.How on earth can you give your oppisiton so little of the ball yet so many chances?

yikes.png

Just proves that stats can mislead - 7 shots on target but not one that was particularly close to going in.  Meanwhile one of our clearest opportunities was ruined by the world’s worst offside decision.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

They've all played hardly any football in the last few months. Not surprising at all that they're struggling to find a little rhythm. 

Of course. It was not a criticism of those 3 at all, I just think Buendia and Cantwell are essential to us playing well. IMO even if our 3 attacking midfielders today were fully match sharp we’d still be missing Emi and Todd massively!

IMO none of those 3 have the same tendency for coming deep to pick up possession and help our defence get out. The amount of times Aarons has received it and had to go backwards or go long today. Normally he’d have Buendia showing and Cantwell drifting over, and we’d be able to build a sustained period of possession. So far we’ve not been able to pin them back like that once!

That said, Barnsley definitely deserve credit for how they’ve pressed us. Hopefully they run out or steam second half and we can fluke a goal 😄 

Interesting how people’s perception of Vrancic in the no 10 is that he does very little but what he does do, is retain possession regularly and drop deep looking for the ball. Clearly missing that today.

Although I do think Barnsley have been excellent.

• Like 1

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

Just proves that stats can mislead - 7 shots on target but not one that was close to going in.  Meanwhile one of our clearest opportunities was ruined by the world’s worst offside decision.

That was so weird, I’m not even convinced the ball went forward from the Barnsley players head. Mind hearing Farke and the coaching staff going ballistic at the ref, linesman and forth official made up for it a bit.

1 minute ago, Well b back said:

That was so weird, I’m not even convinced the ball went forward from the Barnsley players head. Mind hearing Farke and the coaching staff going ballistic at the ref, linesman and forth official made up for it a bit.

That's the crucial bit. Nothing else matters

Excellent high pressing from Barnsley. Rupp looks well off the pace, but Farke did say yesterday he probably wouldn't have risked him if Kenny had been fit. Seeing as there's a week until our next league game, I don't see any harm in Skipp playing half an hour to start dictating the tempo, and Mario at 10 too.

Just now, Christoph Stiepermann said:

This game is also a great advert for Skipp eventhough he's not playing. You only need to watch a game like this to see just how important he is to us. 

You forgot McLean 

8 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

This pitch doesn't really suit our style of play. For all their 'chances' it's still level. Fancy us to grind out a win. 

Why is it the wrong shape???

With two wing-backs and two wingers we are over-loaded on the outside and giving away too much space in the centre allowing Barnsley to dominate there.

Have to bring off either Placheta or Hernandez, probably Placheta and put someone in the middle of the park to shore up the middle.

• Like 1

Just now, Christoph Stiepermann said:

This game is also a great advert for Skipp eventhough he's not playing. You only need to watch a game like this to see just how important he is to us. 

Yes I thought the same.

Missing McLean as well.

Midfield giving little protection to the back 4.

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Just proves that stats can mislead - 7 shots on target but not one that was particularly close to going in.  Meanwhile one of our clearest opportunities was ruined by the world’s worst offside decision.

Take off those yellow and green specs!

They’ve been by far the better side, I wouldn’t say those shot stats are an unfair reflection at all. Sure they’ve had a few long range efforts, but also a couple of very good chances and near miss crosses which don’t even register as shots.

At the other end we have offered basically nothing. The whole Barnsley defence also pretty much stopped for Placheta’s chance once he beat the man marking him due to the offside flag. Hardly a moment to hold us up by. 

If I was a Barnsley fan I’d be very disappointed to not be in front!

6 front players who have about 10 appearances between them this season in a different system to usual as the wide players are staying wide unlike Emi and Todd. We've done well to get away with it 

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Excellent high pressing from Barnsley. Rupp looks well off the pace, but Farke did say yesterday he probably wouldn't have risked him if Kenny had been fit. Seeing as there's a week until our next league game, I don't see any harm in Skipp playing half an hour to start dictating the tempo, and Mario at 10 too.

Yeah he’s looked way off it today! But understandable after such a while out, with a full rotated midfield and against that Barnsley press.

1 minute ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Take off those yellow and green specs!

They’ve been by far the better side, I wouldn’t say those shot stats are an unfair reflection at all. Sure they’ve had a few long range efforts, but also a couple of very good chances and near miss crosses which don’t even register as shots.

At the other end we have offered basically nothing. The whole Barnsley defence also pretty much stopped for Placheta’s chance once he beat the man marking him due to the offside flag. Hardly a moment to hold us up by. 

If I was a Barnsley fan I’d be very disappointed to not be in front!

What are you in about?  Where did I say we’ve played well or that they haven’t been better??

...just ask yourself which of those shots would you have been ok with any keeper letting in?