cambridgeshire canary

***UNOFFICAL MATCH THREAD***

3 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Dont think its the strength in depth.Its simply to many players brought in who were playing catch up with fitness. Barnsley knew this this and played accordingly.They fully deserved it.Can't really blame Farke.Players needed resting.

I'm not blaming Farke. The players who came in were like rabbits in headlights and I expected more from them. They should be nowhere near the first team going forward.

That was probably a brilliant game for the neutral 😂 Like when they came to CR a few weeks ago I was impressed with Barnsley. The way they press and get in our faces really stifled us. In the league we had the quality on the pitch to be able to deal with it, but with the changes we made for this one unfortunately we didn't have that today. It was more important though that the likes of Hernandez, Rupp, Dowell got some minutes than going full-strength to try and win this one. It is a shame because I would've quite liked a home round tie against Chelsea next!

That midfield was where we lost the game. Understandable given we had 5 players in there who are either returning from injury or have had a lack of playing time recently. Fingers crossed that injury to Hugill is nothing serious and he can get back to full health in the week between now and Boro (although I have to admit part of me would love to see what Soto could do if he's given a chance).

Disappointing as it's a game we would've wanted to win but at least now we can turn our full attention to the league.

• Like 2

A strong Barnsley side full of motivation and desire for an upset, against a side with several changes, including players just back from injury. 

Quite a likely outcome, and one I'm not that concerned about tbh. 

As soon as Skipp, Buendia and Vrancic were introduced, we instantly improved, and looked the better side. 

As many have said, too many changes with some coming back form injuries too.  But also disappointing from those that came in too.  Expected more of Dowell. Hernandez and Placheta not quite on it, Rupp reminded me of when he played last season not earlier this season. Tettey not at his best either. All in all the midfield was not up to matching Barnsley who are a good hard working side.  Shame, but we move on without hte distraction of the cup.

9 minutes ago, Yellowhammer said:

Never liked this draw shame missing out on Chelsea but no one takes the cup seriously today 

They've got to beat Luton first. Our record against the Hatters isn't all that and can't see how missing out on a trip to Stamford Bridge is a shame.

When did we last win there ?

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I'm not blaming Farke. The players who came in were like rabbits in headlights and I expected more from them. They should be nowhere near the first team going forward.

Lol. They’ll be fine once they get more minutes and lose their ring rustiness, they are all valuable members of the squad. Rupp and Onel in particular have played very little football in recent weeks, the chances of them coming in against a high energy side and playing as well as we know they can were very slim. But players had to be rested today and others given vital minutes.

We've coped fantastically well with injuries this season so far and I expect that to be the same going forward, everyone in the squad is good enough if needed otherwise they’d not be here. 

• Like 1

Just hope Hugill isn't out for too long. We're now down to a hot and cold Pukki who may not be fit either.

This game could be more costly than just going out the cup.

Some hard task masters on here, five is it, players coming back from injury playing on a ploughed field in the cup against a very impressive team. 
Valuable game time for those guys, they will benefit from that.

Edited by Van wink
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

They've got to beat Luton first. Our record against the Hatters isn't all that and can't see how missing out on a trip to Stamford Bridge is a shame.

When did we last win there ?

We would have been at home.

3 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Some hard task masters on here, five is it, players coming back from injury playing on a ploughed field in the cup against a very impressive team. 
Valuable game time for you those guys, they will benefit from that.

Spot on, our changes certainly made it easier for Barnsley’s pressing game, the pitch was poor but I’m sure they’d also prefer it to be better than it is.  We put it behind us and move on.  Hopefully Jordan’s injury isn’t too bad and/or Teemu is back fit soon - this is where going into a season with so few strikers can be a bit of a drawback.

19 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Quatermass & The Pit (telly version) for me, specially when the ground started shaking ...   🥴

I had to read my Lone Ranger annuals in the kitchen when that was on.

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I had to read my Lone Ranger annuals in the kitchen when that was on.

I bet you got frightened when they dropped the cabbages on Crackerjack.

I really don't know why we played any first teamers ... there is literally nothing to gain from being in this competition apart from player fatigue and injuries.

What's the point of risking that before inevitably being knocked out by a top 10 Prem side at some point down the road. 

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I bet you got frightened when they dropped the cabbages on Crackerjack.

I would have loved to have watched Quatermass but Mum and Dad thought it was too frightening. So was it them who were scared and didn't want me to see them hiding behind the sofa.💀💀

I used to think Gillian Comber was a bit of alright.

Edited by keelansgrandad

More minutes in the tank of players who could be vital over the next couple of months. That’s a positive as the league is infinitely more important.

Only real negative is Hugill’s injury so hopefully that’s nothing serious. Although as Soto is the second coming according to many, I’m sure it won’t be that important! 

13 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Bit harsh. Can the likes of Hernandez and Rupp be expected to shine instantly after returning from injury? 

It's not harsh to make an accurate observation. No one expected anything, but it's ok to be a little disappointed that they all failed to have any kind of impact.

Mucho Credit To The Tykes, worked hard and pressed really well with an impressive game length energy.....Their team would still have edged that cup-tie even if their players were forced to wear flat caps, pit boots, had a whippet tied to one their ankles and a pint o' bitter in one hand and a large plate with a Sunday roast (with trimmings and Yorkshire puds).....(oh, and beefy gravy)......on t'other hand....

Good luck to 'em in the next round - and if it's Lanky Frampard's Chelsea, hope them Tykes give them Laandaan Southern Softies a reet good kickin'.....

Without fans the Cups are a bit pointless. Chelsea at a rocking CR might have been worth it, but a confidence building exercise for Lampard to save his job in a silent stadium? Can't get excited by that I am afraid. Good to see some guys get some minutes, thats about it.

52 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Anyone remember the singing ringing tree ? Scared the crap out of me

There's a bloke I know was out drinking in a seedy club overseas....and once saw a strange film called the 'The Stinging Ringing Three'...He said it scared the cr@p out of him as well .....(but the less said about that the better).....

1 hour ago, Yellowhammer said:

Never liked this draw shame missing out on Chelsea but no one takes the cup seriously today 

Untill they get to quarter  finals. 

43 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Bit harsh. Can the likes of Hernandez and Rupp be expected to shine instantly after returning from injury? 

I said a chance to impress CCC. I was not looking for them to shine as you put it but i expected more.

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

I said a chance to impress CCC. I was not looking for them to shine as you put it but i expected more.

An Optomist is a disappointment waiting to happen.  A pessimist however can usually  gloat.  

1 hour ago, Pukki Blinders said:

That was probably a brilliant game for the neutral 😂 Like when they came to CR a few weeks ago I was impressed with Barnsley. The way they press and get in our faces really stifled us. In the league we had the quality on the pitch to be able to deal with it, but with the changes we made for this one unfortunately we didn't have that today. It was more important though that the likes of Hernandez, Rupp, Dowell got some minutes than going full-strength to try and win this one. It is a shame because I would've quite liked a home round tie against Chelsea next!

That midfield was where we lost the game. Understandable given we had 5 players in there who are either returning from injury or have had a lack of playing time recently. Fingers crossed that injury to Hugill is nothing serious and he can get back to full health in the week between now and Boro (although I have to admit part of me would love to see what Soto could do if he's given a chance).

Disappointing as it's a game we would've wanted to win but at least now we can turn our full attention to the league.

Agreed - one or two players could drop into the team alongside players in form. But to replace them all was tough. The whole midfield didn’t allow the ball to be played through us.

The press worked because we couldn’t move the ball through it. Lots of teams press us high , but after a while they drop off because we play in behind them.   

We desperately need Pukki to be fit now. Hugil will be out for a while judging where he was feeling the pain . 

42 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Fair enough.

Just often as we move forward, people refer back to games like this and discount players, due to not grasping their chance..

2 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Anyone remember the singing ringing tree ? Scared the crap out of me

Was that the old black & white German(?) program with the bear and evil looking little bearded dwarf?  If so, I found it really unnerving too. 😟

• Like 1

Whilst I am not to disappointed that we are out of the cup I am disappointed at the manner we went out. I  thought Farke would have changed shape at half time to pose them some problems. We had two fast wingers on the pitch but failed to exploit their pace  with early balls into space. With only five minutes left we were srill passing square across the back with no intention of getting forward quickly. Whilst the pitch was not quality - I know it is the same for both sides - the number of our players that slipped over would suggest perhaps the  footwear was not spot on. Perhaps it was that Farke wanted out of the cup, who knows, what I do know is that other managers will watch this and change their tactics accordingly could be a long second half to the season let's hope not.