pete

Soto work permit not done deal

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Long interview with Farke about Soto yesterday. He will be training with the U23's initially to assess if he needs a UK loan. Farke stressed that we shouldn't get over excited as he's never seen Soto play. 

Farke sounded a bit baffled about the fuss. 

I think this is a great chance for Soto to come back and try and impress in training, if he 'does a Max Arrons' and makes a strong enough case for himself he could very well find himself as 3rd choice striker. Seems Swindon want Omotoye too, so you know.. life throws you the ball, time to step up and catch it. 

• Like 1

Yes Ron,  Soto needs a work permit, there is speculation he has or hasn’t been granted one, and if he has he may or may not play Saturday. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Yes Ron,  Soto needs a work permit, there is speculation he has or hasn’t been granted one, and if he has he may or may not play Saturday. 

So kind. Thank you for your considerate & highly informative reply.

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

Thanks for confirming 👍

Will Soto be our first American player? I was scratching my head we’ve had a Canadian in Jackson.

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

Will Soto be our first American player? I was scratching my head we’ve had a Canadian in Jackson.

I think we did have one perhaps 15 years or so back but cannot remember the name. A defender?

Or am I thinking of Jim Brennan, who also it turns out was Canadian?

Edited by PurpleCanary

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

I think we did have one perhaps 15 years or so back but cannot remember the name. A defender?

Zak Whitbread 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Yes! Thanks. That is the chap. I haven't gone quite as senile as I thought...🤓

How can you forget a chap with the surname Whitbread?

Gold Label (10%) Barley Wine? Etc.

(Mind you a couple of those and you'd forget everything.)

Edited by BroadstairsR

5 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

How can you forget a chap with the surname Whitbread?

Gold Label (10%) Barley Wine? Etc.

(Mind you a couple of those and you'd forget everything.)

When I drank beer and similar (not for many years now) I was very partial to Abbot Ale, but I have no idea how aficionados would rank it.

29 minutes ago, Indy said:

Tomkinson in the u23's is also from the US but not yet played a game for the first team 

• Like 1

Judging by the video on another thread Soto is still not training, so one assumes either no news yet, or it has been rejected.

Guess we'll get an update in tomorrow's presser?

6 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Judging by the video on another thread Soto is still not training, so one assumes either no news yet, or it has been rejected.

As Soto has a GBE now the work permit is a formality. The only reason he might not get one would be something as serious as criminal convictions or not having forged documents etc. 

The chance of him failing it is pretty much non-existent. It is more likely he is just having to wait for a Home Office appointment which can be hard to obtain at short notice or there are delays in Soto getting all his paperwork together. As he’s now lived in 3 countries over the last few years it is probably a harder application to put together than The Greek fella. The Home Office will want proof of addresses, bank account statements going back at least 5 years etc etc. If there is one mistake or one missing document they will throw out the whole application and you have to go back to step one. It’s an absolute nightmare. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

When I drank beer and similar (not for many years now) I was very partial to Abbot Ale, but I have no idea how aficionados would rank it.

Luckily, here’s a true expert to tell us

“No distinctive ... smell. Hm, quite nice. Very creamy”*

*nobody tell him it’s because it’s canned

28 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Listen to Daniel Farke Capt. Pants. Quote from him a few days ago: 

"We don’t have to get over-excited. He is coming back as part of the under-23 group with the potential to help the first team,” said Farke. “Let’s be realistic. He was at Hannover last season, who were fighting to avoid relegation from the second tier, and he was not even close to the team."

I don't know if he's got his work permit yet or not, but there's a fair chance that he has and he's training with the U23's. 

32 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Luckily, here’s a true expert to tell us

“No distinctive ... smell. Hm, quite nice. Very creamy”*

*nobody tell him it’s because it’s canned

Greene King are not popular with real ale aficionados, seen as a corporate money making business amongst the many smaller breweries doing it for the love of the product.  

Having said that, I do enjoy the occasional pint of Abbott, partly from nostalgia. Their IPA is weak, literally and taste-wise though.