Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Favourite 3 managers of Norwich City

5 hours ago, Surfer said:

Saunders, Brown, Lambert and all three stabbed the club and fans in the back - thanks guys. 

Er, you may want to reset your memory Surfer and then post again defending your astonishing accusation!!

Brown stabbed the club in the back?  That’s news to me, imo he’s a great guy and is/was always welcome back.  It was the legacy/continuation of him and then Stringer that led to our best spell.

My three would be Stringer, Brown, Worthy/Farke joint.

For me, Walker dropped lucky in his first spell and dined out on the legwork that Stringer/Machin had done.  I do also always wonder what might’ve happened had O’Neill not been lied to by Chase - I’m certain we’d have got promoted that season.

Edited by Branston Pickle

As it's favourite ncfc manager and not who we think were the best, so I guess this list is is more about how much I loved watching the beautiful game with them at the helm.

1. Farke. I have lived the last 2.5 years especially. Had a hard job with selling, but through him we saw Madison who was the light in his first season. The championship winning season was the best football myself and my father had seen Norwich play, ever. The way the football is played is fantastic and who doesn't love the fact we buy complete unknowns and use the academy and have been this good. Fairytale. Last season and half of this season turned out to be my father's last (he passed on the 08/01, the game the next day was Coventry) so farke takes no.1 for me.

2. Alex Neil. Just for the up and at them whirlwind half season. I wonder had we not appointed him, would we of continued to languish mid table even now. Came in as a complete unknown, likable persona (certainly at the start) and a day out to Wembley with my mates at 22 was a joy! That feeling of coming back from the brink of nothingness was great.

3. Lambert. Despite how we went about going to villa, saying he wasn't leaving and then doing. And the initial shock of him joining Ipswich, to what I did think would work out (happy to be proved wrong on that one- although I can still see him pulling something out there)

He has to make the lost for the story of smashing us 7-1 on the first day with Colchester, then coming to us and winning double promotions and he gave the premier League a damn good go. What I loved most about his football was he always had a go. Suns were super positive and I always felt that if we were loosing one nil, then he would rather risk throwing on another attacker and having a go and loosing two nil, rather than not make any changes.

47 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I know some good libel lawyers, Indy. Message me after you've had the writ served on you...🤓

Oops didn’t think! Removed!

7 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Stringer, Walker Mark 1, and Farke. Loved Worthy too actually, and O’Neill for *THAT* play off final. It’s a shame I can’t include Lambert on that list but so much stuff has happened.

Surely you mean Alex Neil as opposed to Martin O'Neill ?

4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Surely you mean Alex Neil as opposed to Martin O'Neill ?

Ha ha you’re of course absolutely correct Tilly! How did I do that?! If both ex managers of ours were amalgamated, I reckon he/they would be pretty decent for us though!

(What makes it even worse is I’ve got Alex Neil’s jacket staring me in the face too 😝)

58BCFDD8-E5B1-4A25-ABEF-2F887313D64E.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Ha ha you’re of course absolutely correct Tilly! How did I do that?! If both ex managers of ours were amalgamated, I reckon he/they would be pretty decent for us though!

(What makes it even worse is I’ve got Alex Neil’s jacket staring me in the face too 😝)

58BCFDD8-E5B1-4A25-ABEF-2F887313D64E.jpeg

What are you doing in his bedroom?

1 minute ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

What are you doing in his bedroom?

Ha ha I collect Norwich memorabilia, Crabby.

(Though in this case that’s neither here nor there to be fair - as luck would have it, I *am* actually rooting through his wardrobe right now).

Stringer and Walker presided over our best teams ever, when we played brilliant football at the top end of English football....

Farke has just been wonderful in nearly every way!

Bond was probably 'the' character but has to be Stringer, Walker and Farke in no particular order.     Lambert deserves a mention though, did a superb job for us.       

Edited by ged in the onion bag

I'd find it difficult to pick three between Walker, Farke, Lambert and Worthington.

In terms of excitement it would be Farke and Worthington fighting it out for 3rd place.

But in terms of sustainability and long-term thinking, you'd then be putting them at 1 and 2. 

People underestimate the job that Worthington did here, he spent absolute peanuts turning us into promotion contenders. Drury, McKenzie, Holt all arriving for what.... £200k-£300k a piece. 

My history doesn't go back further than Walker. If I were 5 years older I think I'd be throwing Stringer into the mix! 

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'd find it difficult to pick three between Walker, Farke, Lambert and Worthington.

In terms of excitement it would be Farke and Worthington fighting it out for 3rd place.

But in terms of sustainability and long-term thinking, you'd then be putting them at 1 and 2. 

People underestimate the job that Worthington did here, he spent absolute peanuts turning us into promotion contenders. Drury, McKenzie, Holt all arriving for what.... £200k-£300k a piece. 

My history doesn't go back further than Walker. If I were 5 years older I think I'd be throwing Stringer into the mix! 

Walker did well but he was standing on the shoulders of Stringer.

Agree about Worthy.

For Farke to get onto this list for me needs still to get us into, and stay in the PL.

Lambert happened to be in the right place at the right time - Holt, Hooly and Martin (& Culverhouse 😉 ).  Never were League 1 standard and Holt and Hooly more than proved themselves in the EPL. (Didn't Holt score 20 odd EPL goals - as many if not, more than any other English CF at the time - should have been capped!)

On 22/01/2021 at 22:52, John Ryans Express said:

Stringer, Brown, Bond. This is about favourites,so that's the way I've voted,but I suspect the best one may well be Farke...

Good point. 
Stringer, Bond, Brown

On 23/01/2021 at 08:59, Crabbycanary3 said:

Brown was sacked wasn't he?

My three, in no order are Bond, Walker and Farke, because of the football played. Next in line are Brown and Lambert

Yes, Brown was sacked and if I recall there was alot of fans unhappy about uncle Ken being treated like that.

Well, I certainly was really unhappy about Ken's dismissal. My best mate, Gary, and I jointly penned

a card of commiseration to Uncle Ken expressing our regret,thanking him for everything he'd done

for the club and wishing him all the best for the future. It remains the one and only time I've ever

written to a public figure or celebrity or whatever...I don't do twitter or any of that business...

• Like 1

Farke, Worthy and Lambert.

Im a child of the early 90's, well 1990 to be exact and so have missed out on a lot of our glory years under walker etc. But for me its:

Farke for the simply outstanding promotion season and also the great season so far, with a culture that plays wonderful football and encourages youth.

Worthy: I remember the excitement and disappointment of being 12 and going to Cardiff.. then the season when we had Hucks and stormed the league. My first taste of the top flight and some success of as a Norwich fan.

Lambert. I was gutted he left, I was frustrated he's gone to Ipswich (thought its really really funny now) but I remember how devestated I was when we were relegated. We look a club heading for oblivion and he came in and worked a miracle. Certainly his finest hour and two unforgettable seasons where I really fell back in love with the club after the whole Roeder thing and the club just looking pants.

• Thanks 1

Lambert by a mile.

Saved us and slowly destroyed our rivals😂

Who could ask for more.

• Haha 1

John Bond, the archetypal football manager, camel coat, flashy tie, bouffant hairstyle, fat cigar. Bet he drove a Jag. 

Ron Saunders, fitness freak of Mousehold putting the team through a gruelling regime and not afraid to lead from the front. 

Dave Stringer, probably the most underrated manager we've had who built on the foundations of Bond and Brown and took us to a new level to be carried on under Walker. Made us the Leicester of the day, consistently punching above our weight. 

Mike Walker gets an honourable mention for running a skip hire company. 

Lambert for what he achieved here was incredible given the resources, and bought many happy memories in recent years by getting players to perform well beyond their abilities. It's a shame it ended like it did, but we almost became premier league regulars under his helm.

Farke, purely because of the football he's got us playing, the things he's achieved with Webber with limited budgets and the success he's had in his short tenure here so far, and hopefully he can add to it this season.

But, by a long shot for me, Nigel Worthington - for doing a ridiculously unfathomable job of taking us from lower table dross as caretaker manager, to the play-offs, and then up a few seasons later as league champions. For bringing us the likes of Huckerby, doing the double over Ipswich on our promotion season and somehow finishing 8 points clear of West Brom. I mean, go and have a look at that team, how on earth did they win the league, let along absolutely storm it?!

Glenn Roeder aside, we've been lucky to have such a fantastic run of football over the past few decades, and although staying in the Premier League would have been great, I'm sure, the up/down league winning seasons we've had have been a lot of fun, and full of far more enjoyment than trying to survive by the skin of your teeth each season

18 hours ago, birchfest said:

Farke, Worthy and Lambert.

Im a child of the early 90's, well 1990 to be exact and so have missed out on a lot of our glory years under walker etc. But for me its:

Farke for the simply outstanding promotion season and also the great season so far, with a culture that plays wonderful football and encourages youth.

Worthy: I remember the excitement and disappointment of being 12 and going to Cardiff.. then the season when we had Hucks and stormed the league. My first taste of the top flight and some success of as a Norwich fan.

Lambert. I was gutted he left, I was frustrated he's gone to Ipswich (thought its really really funny now) but I remember how devestated I was when we were relegated. We look a club heading for oblivion and he came in and worked a miracle. Certainly his finest hour and two unforgettable seasons where I really fell back in love with the club after the whole Roeder thing and the club just looking pants.

I was born '92 and yeah, you echo my feelings pretty well!

All subjective and of course us oldies get more to choose from.

John Bond - Won diddly squat but what fun. Always up for a quote he was a journalists dream. All the blingy trappings of the period and the team played football that was always blingy too.

Ron Saunders - No charisma whatsoever and the complete opposite of Bond but he took us into the Promised Land for the first time. Agricultural football but hard graft made up for a lot of our deficiencies and what heroes he had in that team.

Paul Lambert - Regardless of whether or not Culverhouse was the driving force behind his success that fabulous uninterrupted run from League One to Premier League ( and staying up ). Unlikely to be repeated ever again.

Walker- He has to be number one. Almost took us to the title. Played some wonderful football at the beginning of the season after we finished third. Topped off with Europe. If we had invested at that time, I really believe we would have won the league that season.

Lots of other exciting choices.

I would go for Lambert, just because before he came we were going nowhere and could have ended up like Ipswich. The sheer joy of the ride was exhilarating.

Then Farke. Built a wonderful team from nothing. Brilliant at bringing on younger players. Who can forget the championship winning season?

Honourable mentions for Brown, a wonderful man and Bond. Also the first few months of Neill culminating in that superb day out at Wembley.

Walker, farke and gunn.

Now i know what you are going to say but 1) after years of decay and decline his preseason felt like a real new dawn and 2) holt.

To be fair the bits before and after the preseason were perhaps not classics...

22 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Walker, farke and gunn.

Now i know what you are going to say but 1) after years of decay and decline his preseason felt like a real new dawn and 2) holt.

Well, if you're going to pin the criteria down to a few weeks, I might change my selections 🙂 

12 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

Walker, farke and gunn.

I did have thoughts about Gunn as well. Ok, he was in charge during that record 1-7 home defeat to Colchester but he did do something great whilst in charge - signed Grant Holt from League Two Shrewsbury for about £900k

What an interesting thread - I have found it really difficult to decide. But here goes:

1. John Bond - what a character! He was also the manager that really got us playing good football at a high level (in my lifetime). 

2. Dave Stringer. I really wanted to put him first: I think that he was the best ever but he was building on a legacy that Bond (and brown established).

3. Farke. So much to admire: his intelligence, sticking to his principles, promoting young talent and really giving them a chance and some of the football has been simply stunning.