Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

For those who want more proof Emi is safe from Arsenal

12 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

https://www.twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/1352569834614231040

Given its only a loan 'safe for now' is more appropriate, but still. Seems they have decided on him instead. Which is fair given he is a pretty fantastic footballer.

All we can hope is that this guy is so outstanding for the rest of the season that Arsenal make him their target instead. But I get the impression Arteta has made Emi a priority. At the moment I kind of feel like we’re already in the equivalent position where Arsenal have basically signed our little superstar in all but name and have essentially sent him back on loan to us for the rest of the season. Which could explain why Emi’s so super calm and relaxed about things, if he knows he gets to finish the season here all being well with another medal and cup, but that dream move in the summer is already basically assured. Not usually a pessimist but given Farke’s comments the other day, I just see it as the most likely scenario.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Not usually a pessimist but given Farke’s comments the other day, I just see it as the most likely scenario.

What did DF say?

9 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

I'm afraid you're right.  At least with numbers like £50m being bandied around, it will take a decent wedge to pry him away.

I'm enjoying the moment, whatever happens in the summer is what it is.

That is the positive upshot of all this, Bob. We will all be very sad to see Emi go, but at least we can say we’ve been blessed with his mercurial talent for the last 4 or so years.

What will make the pill easier to swallow, is that we now know we have for the first time a scouting base set up in South America. And this is where arguable the best players in Emi’s position come from. With £40mil in the bank from his sale alone, possibly even more, I can’t wait to see what gems we’ve already got lined up for the summer, because you can be sure we will have!

I have upmost faith that Kieran Scott and the rest of our superb recruitment team will find some more below market value future stars, and this should give us all confidence that it won’t all be doom and gloom should we lose some of the better longer established talent that we have at Carrow Rd.

I actually think holding on to Max, Todd, and Emi has been a very clever move 2 fold - one, it gave us the best chance of promotion this season, and two, their market value will almost certainly have significantly risen again on the back of this campaign. Those players, although attractive to other clubs last August, weren’t at the premium they should be given our disappointing end to last season. That is now no longer the case thankfully - and we will fully benefit from it.

I have no doubt next seasons squad will be the strongest one we’ve seen yet under Farke and Webber, whichever scenario plays out 👍

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

What did DF say?

He made it clear that no players would be leaving in the January window, or none that we didn’t want to lose anyway. The chance of promotion and what comes with that far outweighs making a buck right now. BUT, he was quite open and honest as always and said that in the summer things could change. The players that ‘outgrow’ the club, those that have time served here, and earned their right to a move to a ‘top 6 club here’ or a Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich etc, then we will not stand in their way (as long as acceptable bids are tabled).

When you put it all together, this makes for a very logical explanation as to why Emi’s not kicking off about being held back from his move. Because he isn’t. He can get on with his football and just enjoy the season now. Talks today that Emi’s representatives are meeting Arsenal representatives in London very soon for discussions. Personally I think an agreement has already been made, we’ve said no he isn’t going anywhere this window but we’ll agree to let him go this summer which Arsenal have agreed to - in effect Emi’s basically here on loan for the rest of the season. When you factor in that Arsenal are about to sign a loan AMF until the season I can’t help but feel it’s a stop gap until the main man comes in. They need an AMF now to try and help ensure European qualification after a mixed campaign so far this campaign - that’s the necessity for Arsenal this season and key to them making the signings they want in the summer. Seems the most likely scenario to me anyway when I factor in all the above.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reinvesting all the money if we sell Emi once promoted, is a must if we are to have any hope of staying up. This will be a new approach but we are told we are in a better, stronger position so anything else would be a massive let down. More importantly, with Webber off soon the club needs to start looking for replacements asap. Keeping Farke is essential imo. Would be really upset to see him go and hopefully he is up for establishing us in the premier league even if Webber is not. Sure Webber will do his best before leaving but his replacement and the structure (will his wife stay if he leaves?) should be a priority for the owners now....

Ultimately losing your best player is never good as a fan...

Personally I would be disappointed with Buendia playing for another English team... If he leaves it would be better if he went to a European biggie... Arsenal are not the force they once we're and they'll struggle to get near the top 4 anytime soon...

41 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Reinvesting all the money if we sell Emi once promoted, is a must if we are to have any hope of staying up.

As @king canary quite rightly pointed out the other day, it’s not the amount spent on players, it’s WHO you sign.

Case in point - Emi Buendía an initial 1.5mill€ - Pepe 72mill€. That illustrates the massive difference between clever scouting and just a chequebook.

For instance, I’d be quite confident that give Mick McCarthy £50mil and Farke and Webber £20mil, we’d still end up with far more bang for our buck. And they’d be able to kick a football.

Make no mistake, we will spend some money this summer. In fact, you can see that process already beginning with Gianni and Ben G. And we will likely sell both Todd and Max too which is another how many million. So we will need Premier League level reinforcements, especially if promoted. But I back our scouting team to find the same level of quality for far better value than what the likes of Chris Wilder will and have (in fact, have they even got quality for their money fullstop?).

People knocking Hugill after playing a couple of full games, yet Rhian Brewster who’s had a run of 16 or 17 odd games and can therefore be judged slightly more by the fans, hasn’t even scored 1 goal! ONE! Quite frankly, at this moment in time, Liverpool have mugged Sheff Utd for £23mil just like they abused Bournemouth time and time again (the mugs 😂). Though what will save them is that he’ll probably do ok in the Championship next season - but not necessarily better than a good £5mil striker. Which brings my point full circle.

Edited by Alex Moss

47 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

He made it clear that no players would be leaving in the January window, or none that we didn’t want to lose anyway. The chance of promotion and what comes with that far outweighs making a buck right now. BUT, he was quite open and honest as always and said that in the summer things could change. The players that ‘outgrow’ the club, those that have time served here, and earned their right to a move to a ‘top 6 club here’ or a Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich etc, then we will not stand in their way (as long as acceptable bids are tabled).

When you put it all together, this makes for a very logical explanation as to why Emi’s not kicking off about being held back from his move. Because he isn’t. He can get on with his football and just enjoy the season now. Talks today that Emi’s representatives are meeting Arsenal representatives in London very soon for discussions. Personally I think an agreement has already been made, we’ve said no he isn’t going anywhere this window but we’ll agree to let him go this summer which Arsenal have agreed to - in effect Emi’s basically here on loan for the rest of the season. When you factor in that Arsenal are about to sign a loan AMF until the season I can’t help but feel it’s a stop gap until the main man comes in. They need an AMF now to try and help ensure European qualification after a mixed campaign so far this campaign - that’s the necessity for Arsenal this season and key to them making the signings they want in the summer. Seems the most likely scenario to me anyway when I factor in all the above.

There is no way that we should allow Emi's representatives to meet with Arsenal. I don;t care whether its for talks over a summer move or not it will be a distraction we could do massively without and how commited will he really be if he knows he has a move sealed in the summer. His representatives should not be allowed to talk to ANY club until that club as made an acceptable bid. Really annoys me how the rules on this seem to just be disregarded these days. Every transfer rumour you read now states that terms have already been agreed between the buying club and the players agent but unless NCFC give permission for such discussions that is an illegal approach. 

12 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

There is no way that we should allow Emi's representatives to meet with Arsenal. I don;t care whether its for talks over a summer move or not it will be a distraction we could do massively without and how commited will he really be if he knows he has a move sealed in the summer. His representatives should not be allowed to talk to ANY club until that club as made an acceptable bid. Really annoys me how the rules on this seem to just be disregarded these days. Every transfer rumour you read now states that terms have already been agreed between the buying club and the players agent but unless NCFC give permission for such discussions that is an illegal approach. 

Understand your frustration Jimbo, but let’s be real here - far seedier moves are made from clubs every transfer window, and no doubt outside them too. I don’t agree Emi’s heart won’t be in it though. In fact, you can bet your life he will want to finish on a high, because it’s very clear he genuinely loves our club.

At the end of the day, I would absolutely LOVE it (Kevin Keegan 😂) if Emi stayed next season and basically said to the club ‘Show me what you’ve got’. And the dream would be that next season we would get the rub of the green with injuries etc, and our new found defensive resolve stands is in better shape to make a real wave just as I thought we might the last time around (before injuries). And then if the club is moving in the right direction we might not only be able to keep the likes of Emi, but build on that too.

Personally, I think Stuart Webber is very aware of EXACTLY what’s going on between Arsenal and Emi’s representatives, and that’s why there’s no issue from our end. And if he’s agreed in principle to a £40million pound deal or so, then make no mistake, we at least have many many months to unearth and secure the next South American gem or suchlike.

Feel very calm about it just because I can’t remember us being in such a good position. And that’s why people must have patience with this project! It was never going to happen overnight by the very nature of it, and I think any sensible supporter would also understand that. But I feel we’re at a real turning point here, on and off the pitch, where we’re starting to see everything come together. Exciting times.

Edited by Alex Moss
  • Like 3

I didn't think Emi would go this window because our position is too strong.

I didn't think Emi would go this window even more when SSN said he was too expensive for Arsenal.

I still didn't think Emi would go in this window when Farke came out and said he wouldn't be going, outright.

But AFCTranfersCentralXO on Twitstagram says Buendias representatives are traveling to London to discuss terms, so I guess we're ****ed then.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

I didn't think Emi would go this window because our position is too strong.

I didn't think Emi would go this window even more when SSN said he was too expensive for Arsenal.

I still didn't think Emi would go in this window when Farke came out and said he wouldn't be going, outright.

But AFCTranfersCentralXO on Twitstagram says Buendias representatives are traveling to London to discuss terms, so I guess we're ****ed then.

Why?

As has been discussed, they are apparently meeting to discuss a move in the summer - not now.

One thing that may be a factor is that Emi's missus is due to give birth to their second child soon; I think she's due in a month, maybe two. It's quite possible that Emi, who does seem genuinely happy and settled here with his young family, may decide against either uprooting the family right now with a seven or eight months pregnant partner or moving away on his own.

He'll probably think about leaving in the summer though whether we go up or not, and let's be honest, you can't blame him.

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

And we will likely sell both Todd and Max too which is another how many million.

Todd and Max and Emi all to go - even if promoted? Surely not!

Cantwell seems the most obvious to go, I appreciate the contract situation is out of our hands and we could be rather forced to sell. But I hope not.

Worryingly your views on Buendia and Arsenal very well could be right, and seem quite logical especially with Arsenal now taking a loan transfer to bridge the gap. But if we're already losing Cantwell I really don't think we can afford to lose Emi too?

We'll have money to spend on quality replacements, sure, but how long will they need to bed in to the team? Especially with Farke's system where our signings sometimes struggle to adapt or contribute initially.

And Aarons too? Is that just a hunch?

I would like to think that (assuming we are promoted) all three would stick with us to give us the best possible chance of staying up - but maybe not Cantwell as we know that's more complicated.

If we lose all three I will frankly have 0 confidence in us staying up, they're all so integral to our style of play...

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

2 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

As @king canary quite rightly pointed out the other day, it’s not the amount spent on players, it’s WHO you sign.

Case in point - Emi Buendía an initial 1.5mill€ - Pepe 72mill€. That illustrates the massive difference between clever scouting and just a chequebook.

For instance, I’d be quite confident that give Mick McCarthy £50mil and Farke and Webber £20mil, we’d still end up with far more bang for our buck. And they’d be able to kick a football.

Make no mistake, we will spend some money this summer. In fact, you can see that process already beginning with Gianni and Ben G. And we will likely sell both Todd and Max too which is another how many million. So we will need Premier League level reinforcements, especially if promoted. But I back our scouting team to find the same level of quality for far better value than what the likes of Chris Wilder will and have (in fact, have they even got quality for their money fullstop?).

People knocking Hugill after playing a couple of full games, yet Rhian Brewster who’s had a run of 16 or 17 odd games and can therefore be judged slightly more by the fans, hasn’t even scored 1 goal! ONE! Quite frankly, at this moment in time, Liverpool have mugged Sheff Utd for £23mil just like they abused Bournemouth time and time again (the mugs 😂). Though what will save them is that he’ll probably do ok in the Championship next season - but not necessarily better than a good £5mil striker. Which brings my point full circle.

Absolutely agree with you Alex. And if we do lose Emi to Arsenal (or better) we should realise it sends a great signal to the young talent out there that coming to Norwich is a brilliant way to further their career and achieve great heights.

My only fear is that Brexit is going to scupper our chances of uncovering another Emi. As I understand it the post-Brexit rules would mean that Emi wouldn't have qualified for a permit. What a shame if Brexit ruins the fantastic recruitment model that we have so expertly developed.

• Like 1

I think he'll go in summer after/if we achieve promotion and a fee can be agreed. Should leave us with a sizeable pot for new additions and im sure there are names we already have in place if he were to leave. Perhaps even a decent Arsenal player back in return 

1 hour ago, jaberry2 said:

I think he'll go in summer after/if we achieve promotion and a fee can be agreed. Should leave us with a sizeable pot for new additions and im sure there are names we already have in place if he were to leave. Perhaps even a decent Arsenal player back in return 

Perhaps Aubameyang - but according to some posters on here he'll have to take his place in the queue behind Soto. 😉 

• Haha 1

I can’t see why any team currently in our position would sell key players at this point in the season. If we go up I can’t see how we would sell any of our crown jewels as we would need them to stand any chance of staying up.

I agree Hazza. It doesn't make sense now, & I find it odd he would go, IF we got promoted, as he'd be playing at the highest level in a settled team.

I get the lure of bigger teams, but would seem the wrong time to go. If we don't get promoted then I'd completely understand why he'd want to go 

2 hours ago, HazzaJet said:

I can’t see why any team currently in our position would sell key players at this point in the season. If we go up I can’t see how we would sell any of our crown jewels as we would need them to stand any chance of staying up.

I would say, think about it from the players perspective. He no doubt will love playing here and knows he is in the starting 11 each game. However, he will want to push on and no matter how well we treat them they always do. getting £35-40m in the summer would be superb for us and personally I feel at that price it would be a great deal.

Then put yourself in SW position and his aims whilst he is in charge of this club. He would leave here having secured our biggest ever deal and lets be honest that sort of money will keep us competitive. Leave it another year and the price may drop.

I do not want him to leave but it will happen and as mentioned the fall out of that move will reverberate around the football world in regards to youngsters coming here.

Finally, I actually feel we will still do well without him next season (IF WE GO UP). 

The bigger problem for every one is when SW or DF look to move on! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, East Rider said:

I would say, think about it from the players perspective. He no doubt will love playing here and knows he is in the starting 11 each game. However, he will want to push on and no matter how well we treat them they always do. getting £35-40m in the summer would be superb for us and personally I feel at that price it would be a great deal.

Then put yourself in SW position and his aims whilst he is in charge of this club. He would leave here having secured our biggest ever deal and lets be honest that sort of money will keep us competitive. Leave it another year and the price may drop.

I do not want him to leave but it will happen and as mentioned the fall out of that move will reverberate around the football world in regards to youngsters coming here.

Finally, I actually feel we will still do well without him next season (IF WE GO UP). 

The bigger problem for every one is when SW or DF look to move on! 

You have to let players go on as if you don’t they can develop bad attitudes towards the club, but would we manage to find someone to replace him? Cantwell seems the more likely to have to sell this summer as his contract expires next year and I think if we lose both of them we won’t stand a chance of survival. Do you think we will be able to sign players with some decent PL experience if we go up? I have no idea - the whole point of promotion, relegation clauses in the contracts, a parachute payment, and £40m for Lewis and Godfrey makes it sound like we would be able to but loads of people are saying we won’t.

Webber will be going next summer - I think we will look for someone to replace him

Edited by HazzaJet

48 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

You have to let players go on as if you don’t they can develop bad attitudes towards the club, but would we manage to find someone to replace him? Cantwell seems the more likely to have to sell this summer as his contract expires next year and I think if we lose both of them we won’t stand a chance of survival. Do you think we will be able to sign players with some decent PL experience if we go up? I have no idea - the whole point of promotion, relegation clauses in the contracts, a parachute payment, and £40m for Lewis and Godfrey makes it sound like we would be able to but loads of people are saying we won’t.

Webber will be going next summer - I think we will look for someone to replace him

I hear what you are saying and it's difficult to accept, I understand. having been from the era of when we sold Kevin Reeves and the whole world seamed to cave in, selling probably our most exciting player since then is daunting, however, he will be sold, probably as soon as the end of this season.

That does not mean we will not attract PL type players, they will come for the money. It's the type of player we attract which is the key.

If SW stays, we will be fine.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Samwam27 said:

I agree Hazza. It doesn't make sense now, & I find it odd he would go, IF we got promoted, as he'd be playing at the highest level in a settled team.

I get the lure of bigger teams, but would seem the wrong time to go. If we don't get promoted then I'd completely understand why he'd want to go 

You don’t understand the difference between playing for us in the Premier League and earning £40K a week and playing for Arsenal in the Premier League and earning £80K a week, probably with a longer contract?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

One thing that may be a factor is that Emi's missus is due to give birth to their second child soon; I think she's due in a month, maybe two. It's quite possible that Emi, who does seem genuinely happy and settled here with his young family, may decide against either uprooting the family right now with a seven or eight months pregnant partner or moving away on his own.

He'll probably think about leaving in the summer though whether we go up or not, and let's be honest, you can't blame him.

The pregnancy factor is a very good - and additional - point as just to why Emi leaving City this window would not make any sense, Wacky. Now I may have misheard this but I’m pretty sure Emi mentioned not so long back that he was looking forward to his second child being born in England, Norwich specifically, something to do with how much he loves the city and how it would symbolise a very happy chapter in his little families life. His son Thiago was born in Spain. 

11 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Todd and Max and Emi all to go - even if promoted? Surely not!

Cantwell seems the most obvious to go, I appreciate the contract situation is out of our hands and we could be rather forced to sell. But I hope not.

Worryingly your views on Buendia and Arsenal very well could be right, and seem quite logical especially with Arsenal now taking a loan transfer to bridge the gap. But if we're already losing Cantwell I really don't think we can afford to lose Emi too?

We'll have money to spend on quality replacements, sure, but how long will they need to bed in to the team? Especially with Farke's system where our signings sometimes struggle to adapt or contribute initially.

And Aarons too? Is that just a hunch?

I would like to think that (assuming we are promoted) all three would stick with us to give us the best possible chance of staying up - but maybe not Cantwell as we know that's more complicated.

If we lose all three I will frankly have 0 confidence in us staying up, they're all so integral to our style of play...

Todd is the most obvious candidate as things stand, but things could change there. He may surprise us all and sign another contract of course. And I really don’t think after Farke’s comments that he would stand in Emi or Max’s shoes either should they wish to move on (though we’re all desperately hoping they will stay of course).

I think with Max we have to take into consideration that of all the names mentioned above, not one of them has been anywhere near as close to Max in terms of reported interest from those big clubs that Farke mentioned. Spurs, Man Utd, Borussia Dortmund, Bayern Munich, PSG, and of course, Barcelona are just some of the names I can remember off the top of my head. I really don’t think that’s agents speak either - just look at the kid play and it becomes understandable.

I sincerely hope they ALL stay on and we can add to the recent quality we’ve bought. I’d love to see what this side coupled with a few more key additions (and limited injuries!) could do next season! But sadly I don’t think that’ll be the case. On a positive note though, those 3 make for big bucks indeed, mega bucks like we’ve never seen. I’d have faith that these scenarios are of course being taken account for as we speak. No last minute deadline day deals to replace any of those 3 - they’d be in from the off you would have to imagine knowing the way Webber works.

10 hours ago, horsefly said:

Absolutely agree with you Alex. And if we do lose Emi to Arsenal (or better) we should realise it sends a great signal to the young talent out there that coming to Norwich is a brilliant way to further their career and achieve great heights.

My only fear is that Brexit is going to scupper our chances of uncovering another Emi. As I understand it the post-Brexit rules would mean that Emi wouldn't have qualified for a permit. What a shame if Brexit ruins the fantastic recruitment model that we have so expertly developed.

Likewise, Horsey 👍

And that point you made about young talent seeing a genuine route to first team football and the chance to fulfil their dreams definitely should not be underestimated. Because of the way our club is operating, it makes sense that we will now have a huge advantage over even some of the clubs that perhaps in other people’s eyes we shouldn’t. Very few clubs are taking the risk of promoting so many youngsters to their first team, but here they get every chance.

Case in point. Someone a while back asked why Webber was signing Arsenal rejects. The specific player in question was Josh Martin. Yet the true story in actual fact showed that nothing could be further from the truth. Josh Martin chose to run his contract down at Arsenal and rejected staying on with them in order to come here. It is early days of course but you can see why Arsenal didn’t want to lose him. And his brave decision is reaping the rewards already - and so will we 🙂

12 hours ago, horsefly said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that we have already been preparing, and adapting, for this scenario for some time now. 

Although Emi was signed from Spain, he is of course Argentinian. So I wonder if it was by any coincidence that for the first time in our clubs history, we not so long back set up a scouting base in South America where as I understand it the rules on signing young players is different to those in Europe.

My feeling is the savvy operators that we now proudly possess at Carrow Rd foresaw the possible issues surrounding Brexit, and made a head start regarding expanding our network to the other areas of the world.

There must be so much untapped talent on that giant continent (South America), and I have a really strong feeling that Emi Buendía won’t be the last South American we see playing for City this year.

Let's hope so. I'm sure you're right that the brilliant scouting operation we have at the moment have indeed been doing everything they can to mitigate any damage caused by Brexit. It's not just a positive for Norwich that they continue to find such talent, but for English football in general.

8 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

You don’t understand the difference between playing for us in the Premier League and earning £40K a week and playing for Arsenal in the Premier League and earning £80K a week, probably with a longer contract?

Would he be first choice for Arsenal though - I have no idea which players are underperforming for them at the moment? Sounds like he will because of Arsenal’s desperation to sign him but players go on to bigger clubs I always have doubts on how they’ll do. Eg Earnshaw - first choice for us, Derby signed him when they got promoted, he goes saying that “the lure of the PL was just too great”, never heard of him again.
Even when players go to clubs of the same level there’s no guarantee that they will be as good as they were for their previous club. Sanchez was great for the Gunners. Went to Manure, a club of a similar level and was manure

Edited by HazzaJet