I didn't actually realise but Mario's contract is up at the end of this season, yet from what I've heard there doesn't seem to be any sort of indication that the club are eager to renew it. There must be some chatting about it behind the scenes between the player, Farke and Webber, but you would think now we're in January and he can technically sign a pre-contract with someone else that we would have heard something by now. 

Obviously he'll be 32 by the time next season starts, and has primarily been played in the number 10 slot this season. I've said a few times I don't think it's a role that really suits him. He's much more effective when sitting deeper where he can pull the strings a little bit more, but it seems this season (and most of last too) Farke has preferred someone more mobile in the deeper positions. With McLean and Rupp's impressive form as well as Sorenson waiting in the wings, it seems Mario's fallen well down the pecking order in holding midfield, yet for me he's not really an effective number 10 either. Plus he seems to be absolutely knackered by the 70 minute mark in each game. That all said, there's no doubting he's contributed this season, and has chipped in with more and his fair share of goals/assists, but he's not the same player he was a couple of seasons ago.

So do people think that with all the options we have and the age he's now at that perhaps his time is up? Or do you think that it would be madness to let him leave at the end of the season?

I personally think that while we may not be seeing the best of him this season releasing him on a free transfer wouldn't be a good move. We saw earlier in the season what a great asset he can be when coming off the bench, plus with Tettey also leaving we'd be losing a fair bit of experience from the club if we let Mario go too. So I certainly hope we at least give him a one year contract extension if we go up.

I think had the majority of players remained fit throughout this season then we would have seen even less of Mario than we have this season. It's a shame as he was a superb contributor back in 18/19, but has certainly fell down the pecking order in the years since. However I see it as unlikely we give him a new contract, mainly due to McLean and Rupp performing so well in the deeper role with Dowell and possibly Cantwell earmarked for that number 10 role. Also the fact he is over 30, and unlikely to bring in a large fee. Webber will also be aware that we have a number of players now in their prime years, in particular in midfield and at centre back. I can't see us holding onto Mario mainly because we will be looking to refresh that part of the squad in time. If we were to keep him and one of Rupp/McLean, to play for essentially one position in midfield, we could be blocking the path of a younger player who has greater room to improve.

Much will depend in what league we are in next season

Although he does seem to have slowed down a bit, that seems to be more a case of quality over quantity, as he dies seem to have more time on the ball to pick a cracking through ball

Agree with the above. Whilst most players are playing at a high level this season he, consistently, hasn’t. That no 10 position is the one we could really improve on. Maybe Dowell this season but I think this will be a new signing next year. 

I think he's probably playing a similar amount to the last promotion. He only really got starts when we had injuries, would be surprised if he started more than 10/15 games in 2018/19.  

He still has the same limitations which saw him behind McLean, Steipermann, Trybull and Leitner and we have added more quality since then. He scores important goals and is a fantastic passer when there is a little space to work with but he's never been first choice and wouldn't expect him to be offered a contract,  especially if we go up. 

The way I see it, we've been awesome this season and Vrancic has been a regular. 

Very underappreciated. People say he can't really play the number 10, but the overall team performances suggest otherwise. Currently bringing the best out of Buendia and Cantwell. Lovely player. 

• Like 4

He has a rare talent for hitting a dead ball,a few  goals from free kicks may well be at a premium for us next season and can make the difference between staying up and going down. Assuming we go up, I think a lot depends on what money we have to spend and having bought our main targets whether what then becomes available to us is any better and offers more than Mario. He can still make a useful contribution but not at the expense of a better, younger  player. A lot might hinge as said above on his experience and the contribution he can make in the dressing room. Being over 30 shouldn’t be the guillotine, he has never relied on pace and is definitely clever enough to adjust his game and play at a high level for a few more years yet.

Edited by Van wink

10 minutes ago, Van wink said:

He has a rare talent for hitting a dead ball,a few  goals from free kicks may well be at a premium for us next season and can make the difference between staying up and going down. Assuming we go up, I think a lot depends on what money we have to spend and having bought our main targets whether what then becomes available to us is any better and offers more than Mario. He can still make a useful contribution but not at the expense of a better, younger  player. A lot might hinge as said above on his experience and the contribution he can make in the dressing room. Being over 30 shouldn’t be the guillotine, he has never relied on pace and is definitely clever enough to adjust his game and play at a high level for a few more years yet.

If we extend his contract and get promoted I’d assume like others his wages would increase dramatically. That would be a massive waste of resources for a player, who in my opinion, is nowhere near good enough for the premier league. The only way I see him staying is if we fail to get promoted. 

I've got a feeling this is his last season.

If so, lets hope that Vrancic, Tettey and McGovern all leave on a high with a Championship winners medal! 

I do expect us to be a bit more ruthless upon promotion when it comes to leaving players behind and freeing up squad spaces / wage bill. 

I can't see us dishing out one year contracts to any of those three, we need to try and find their replacements. McGovern won't be difficult or expensive to replace, Tettey will be.... £12m-£15m for Skipp perhaps with Spurs having a £30m buy back option? Could we see that perhaps?

Vrancic though, how do you replace him? Like-for-like very difficult, but I'd take a charismatic and majestic number 10 as an alternative, or a great right sided player which frees up Emi Buendia to play through the middle. 

Could do worse than saving Joe Lolley from being stuck in misery with Hughton and his negative tactics! 

Noteable that all three of those out of contract oldies are not homegrown players as well, and that 8 players in the squad rule kicks in again in the Premier League?

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

All credit to him and Farke but he has played a part this season that looked unlikely, probably down to Dowell's fitness troubles. Thing is he is not first choice, either in, to go all @Parma Ham's gone mouldy , that defensive pivot or the No 10/attacking pivot roles. When we go up we need to strengthen in both positions and he will sit as 3rd choice for both. It is a squad game now, but that place in the squad belongs to a developing player.

Edited by BigFish

He might get another year, guess it depends on whether we go up and who we are looking to bring in.

He's currently competing with; Rupp, Sorensen, Skipp, McLean and Tettey

I would assume the long term plan would be to play Sorensen and McLean together with Rupp as backup, assuming we don't get Skipp for another year it is feasible Vrancic would be offered something to stay, assuming we lose Tettey at the end of the season as well. I would presume they are looking to bring in at least one CM between now and next season whether we go up or not.

People are quck to forget we are top of the league and winning plenty of games and Vrancic has played in most of those games. So he hasn't been spectacular recently, but then we have not had many free kicks in areas he can score from  recently. But we are doing very well with him as a starter or from the bench, creating plenty of chances.  He is still excellent at set pieces and we may need that, especially if Emi is transferred (I think he is better than Emi at that anyway) and we will need older experienced players in the squad.

Forget that he didn't play that much in the PL last time, it will be a different kind of season if we are promoted - and the team has evolved since then (and he is still in it).  Class tells and he has class. Limitations? Maybe, but then so do most of our players - if they didn't they would be at top clubs. Still important to us imo, whatever division we are in.

• Like 1

I like Vrancic, but dont think he has the legs anymore. A very influential player on his day, but think the end of the season will be the last we see of him. Quality operator on his day.

As said above, he's been lucky because of injuries. He's a good player, but in reality we can't afford to start a player at a higher level who is a guaranteed sub at 60-70mins. Really we shouldn't be doing it now.

I think if we go up we need to be a bit ruthless in terms of cutting the squad down and then as a result adding quality thereafter. You would expect to see the likes of Tettey, Leitner, Drmic, Vrancic, potentially Byram (depending on injury news), Steipermann, McGovern to be potentially moved on. Of course this is only my opinion, which will no doubt differ to other peoples opinions.

Ultimately he can only play in the 10 position in the Premier League because he can't provide the defensive screening required in the CDM positions. 

The 10 position is one that we will surely be looking to strengthen to give competition to Dowell. 

I could see an argument for giving Mario a year and use him as a sub in last 20 mins of games. However, the club may prefer to use the wages to recruit someone who will be a genuine option to start PL games.

My feeling is that if we go up, it will be time to say a huge thanks and goodbye to a classy player. 

Very talented, given us some great memories, but would be surprised if he gets another contract.

It's also probably fairest on him, in that he'll be able to move fee free to another club for probably one of the final contracts of his high level career.

We are certainly looking at faster players now with the likes of the new LB and with Placheta which give us a better counter attacking threat. We just need to add some bulk and height in the squad, as we're a but flimsy currently for the prem. Those midfield /attacking options are genuinely expensive. Hopefully Dowell starts getting up to speed soon so we can see what he is capable of this season.

2 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

I like Vrancic, but dont think he has the legs anymore. A very influential player on his day, but think the end of the season will be the last we see of him. Quality operator on his day.

But he's still having plenty of those 'days,' hence why we're top of the league and win most games he plays. 

Remember how toothless we looked in early games this season when Vrancic wasn't starting. I just don't buy the argument he's behind the likes of Dowell and others, when he continually proves himself a vital cog in a successful machine. 

I think he still has plenty to offer, and would hope to keep him for another year or so. Like Hoolahan, he hasn't much raw pace or physicality, attributes that go first with age. His football intelligence is as good as it's ever been and shows no signs of diminishing. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

We are certainly looking at faster players now with the likes of the new LB and with Placheta which give us a better counter attacking threat. We just need to add some bulk and height in the squad, as we're a but flimsy currently for the prem. Those midfield /attacking options are genuinely expensive. Hopefully Dowell starts getting up to speed soon so we can see what he is capable of this season.

With all the pace that we might have, we still need players who can exploit that pace with their passing and Vrancic's eye for a pass or through ball is legendary. With fast runners all around him, his vision and passing ability could be a very important part of next season, whether it is in the PL or the championship.

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

With all the pace that we might have, we still need players who can exploit that pace with their passing and Vrancic's eye for a pass or through ball is legendary. With fast runners all around him, his vision and passing ability could be a very important part of next season, whether it is in the PL or the championship.

He maybe an option from the bench if we make it to the Prem, but he would get bullied far too much by Prem defences. I am not disputing the point that he is a capable passer and creative influence in either a deep play making position or no.10, but in my eyes he is too lightweight for the prem. If we are to establish ourselves in the premiership, we need a better quality of player. I am not bashing the guy, as he is great at this level, but if it came down to renewing his contract I would rather us look at improved additions.

Think this will be the last year for both him and Tettey. Sorensen's going to replace one of those, if not Skipp. He's too lightweight for the Premiership.

If we were to offer him another contract, it would almost exclusively be as an impact player off the bench. He still has that rare ability to create that magic moments under pressure. My God he's been the architect of some precious moments over the years.

Unfortunately I don't see him as a starter at PL level. He is weak defensively and hasn't got the mobility as a CM. Equally, I don't think he has the attacking threat required to start as an AM.

My hope is that we invest in a Dele Ali (when he was good) type player - someone who can link the play, press, be physical and score/assist goals. Basically the PL version of Stiepermann. Maybe even Cantwell, if he proves that he can do it at a higher level, on a consistent basis.

• Like 1

Vrancic will be 32 this summer, and IMO can’t even manage 90mins this season. He might be offered a new contract as he’s done very well but if it is I can only see it being short term as an emergency backup player, like Tettey this season. I don’t think he would be offered a new contract unless the club can’t find any possible replacements for him though.

• Like 1

If you could cross Vrancic with Steiperman you'd have a hell of a number 10. In reality neither are quite up to it in the Prem and I think both will be off to free up wages and squad space for a really quality operator in that position.

28 minutes ago, Mr.Carrow said:

If you could cross Vrancic with Steiperman you'd have a hell of a number 10. In reality neither are quite up to it in the Prem and I think both will be off to free up wages and squad space for a really quality operator in that position.

You could say if Vrancic had the physicality and pace, he would be up there with some of the best.

• Like 1

If by some chance we don't get promoted then an extra year for Mario would be a good move.

However he probably can't wait for that to playout and will likely sign a longer contract elsewhere.

A great player for us but sadly I just can't see him named in a 25 man Premier League squad.