Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

What is the point of Burnley?

1 hour ago, paddycanary said:

If they were playing in the back garden I'd close the curtains.

Are the curtains made of beef?.....

1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I doubt we'll ever get to know what Dyche said to Klopp in the tunnel but looking forward to the interviews at the end 

What happened? I was watching the knitting.

I like Burnley. They're a pragmatic and exceptionally well-drilled team who know their strengths and more pertinently, don't try to play too much and make things too complicated, which makes them very hard work to play against. They're a classic example of a team who consistently overachieve for some time whilst still maintaining due financial prudence.

I can think of a lot of teams who suddenly had ideas above their station and fell like Icarus. Burnley don't have that about them under Dyche. Sure, their brand of football is visually far less appealing, but those who appreciate spirited, feisty underdogs should be able to see them for what they are, namely a bunch of determined triers who will not give in.

I agree with the poster who said there was a lot of snobbery involved in the criticism.

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

What is the 3 points of Burnley?

Poor Liverpool! It must be awful to have injuries at centre half and have to play midfielders there. Can't help thinking they should have spent more money😂

Never thought I'd be pleased to see Burnley win but there's a first time for everything. 

Looks like we’ve found the point of Burnley!

...per the bbc: Burnley have done what no side has managed since Crystal Palace in April 2017. They have beaten Liverpool in the league at Anfield. The Reds' 68-game unbeaten run ends.

Edited by Branston Pickle

2 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Poor Liverpool! It must be awful to have injuries at centre half and have to play midfielders there. Can't help thinking they should have spent more money😂

Never thought I'd be pleased to see Burnley win but there's a first time for everything. 

I don't think their problem is missing vanDjik. They haven't scored in their last four games.

Always the sweetest feeling when these clubs lose:

Man United

Chelsea

Liverpool

Leeds (more so in the past admittedly but still worthy of a place on this most important of lists)

in that order.

Anyone else have a similar hitlist? (discounting Ip5w1ch for obvious reasons)

52 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Are the curtains made of beef?.....

I don't understand the reference/context, but I still like the post!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Looks like we’ve found the point of Burnley!

...per the bbc: Burnley have done what no side has managed since Crystal Palace in April 2017. They have beaten Liverpool in the league at Anfield. The Reds' 68-game unbeaten run ends.

Some may say it is clutching at a straw here (but I'm not going to listen to those losers), but during that run, how any times did teams win a half at Anfield (like we did last season)? I would say that may be worthy of  a star on our shirt, and to mock the readers on TWTD with it, what do you reckon? 

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

I like Burnley. They're a pragmatic and exceptionally well-drilled team who know their strengths and more pertinently, don't try to play too much and make things too complicated, which makes them very hard work to play against. They're a classic example of a team who consistently overachieve for some time whilst still maintaining due financial prudence.

I can think of a lot of teams who suddenly had ideas above their station and fell like Icarus. Burnley don't have that about them under Dyche. Sure, their brand of football is visually far less appealing, but those who appreciate spirited, feisty underdogs should be able to see them for what they are, namely a bunch of determined triers who will not give in.

I agree with the poster who said there was a lot of snobbery involved in the criticism.

Look, I like a lot of your posts TGS, but there’s only room for one contrarian on this board and Lakey’s been here a lot longer than you.

😉

P.S. I think I might agree with you, although I must admit I haven’t actually watched a Burnley game for a very long time (ever?), so it’s purely theoretical.

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Please accept my apologies for being arrogant. And for my dislike of boring football. 

If you don’t think the thread title “What is the point of Burnley?” Is arrogant you need to take a good look at yourself. They have been a top division club for much longer than we have and won more to boot. They have had a strong reputation for developing players just as we are doing now. They have always been careful about money and this won’t necessarily change with the new owners. They play to their strengths and I feel are in many ways a very similar club to us.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm a bit bored with talking about how good we are so I thought I'd start a thread about another team. Tonight's offering is Liverpool v Burnley which led me to wonder, what on earth is the point of Burnley FC? I have a choice of their match tonight or a knitting programme on Channel 763. I'm going to give the knitting programme a look. Or I have Bridgerton on Netflix but I tend to save that for Saturday nights when we've won again. I think I need a vaccine. Please help. 

I would say that was a classic case of "commentators curse" it was just your turn to be a victim of it tonight. 

45 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Look, I like a lot of your posts TGS, but there’s only room for one contrarian on this board and Lakey’s been here a lot longer than you.

😉

P.S. I think I might agree with you, although I must admit I haven’t actually watched a Burnley game for a very long time (ever?), so it’s purely theoretical.

I'll never say Burnley are a pretty side to watch, but when you consider the financial troubles a lot of teams face when they try to punch above their weight or get ideas above their station before falling back into far greater trouble (without even thinking, the likes of Bolton, Blackburn, Blackpool, Bury instantly come to mind and that's just from the same part of England!) then I'd say there's a lot to be said and admired about Burnley's pragmatism and prudent ownership even if sometimes the football can be stodgy to put it mildly.

Time will tell what this new owner will do, but Burnley's always struck me as a very well-run club that's had to be well organised to survive in a part of the country that's not short of football clubs.

(There is bias here, as I am from and live in Bolton, so not overly far away either).

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

If you don’t think the thread title “What is the point of Burnley?” Is arrogant you need to take a good look at yourself. They have been a top division club for much longer than we have and won more to boot. They have had a strong reputation for developing players just as we are doing now. They have always been careful about money and this won’t necessarily change with the new owners. They play to their strengths and I feel are in many ways a very similar club to us.

Exactly this, arguably with a bit less youth development and a more stolid style of football. They are prudent financially and stand for solid housekeeping.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

I don't think their problem is missing vanDjik. They haven't scored in their last four games.

They’ve lost all rhythm going forwards, it’s like watching a totally different team. They smashed Palace 7-0 and since then it’s almost like 11 lookalikes are now taking to the pitch instead of the actual players. Credit to Burnley, didn’t see that one coming.

2 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Klopp is totally losing the plot, couldn't happen to a better bloke, total and utter cnut of a man 🤣

He's said a lot of kind words about Farke and Norwich, he's ok in my book.

6 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm a bit bored with talking about how good we are so I thought I'd start a thread about another team. Tonight's offering is Liverpool v Burnley which led me to wonder, what on earth is the point of Burnley FC? I have a choice of their match tonight or a knitting programme on Channel 763. I'm going to give the knitting programme a look. Or I have Bridgerton on Netflix but I tend to save that for Saturday nights when we've won again. I think I need a vaccine. Please help. 

Great timing to start this very silly thread.