Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

What is the point of Burnley?

5 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He's said a lot of kind words about Farke and Norwich, he's ok in my book.

Never liked him, just irritates the hell out of me, faker than Katie Price, from his over the top sideline antics when he knows the camera is on him, to his dodgy set of gnashers 

9 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Klopp is totally losing the plot, couldn't happen to a better bloke, total and utter cnut of a man 🤣

Can't stand him either. Liverpool are a mess, haven't scored a single goal for what 4 games?

Well done Burnley, maasive 3 points and they look like staying up, again.

Saying ;What is the point of Burnley' is the same as saying 'What is the point of football'. Short answer - love and passion

13 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I mean I'm pretty sure lots of people say the same thing about us..

They do.

I've seen a few takes from fans of other clubs on social media along the lines of 'what is the point of Norwich going up, they won't even try to stay up' after last season. 

10 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

If you don’t think the thread title “What is the point of Burnley?” Is arrogant you need to take a good look at yourself. They have been a top division club for much longer than we have and won more to boot. They have had a strong reputation for developing players just as we are doing now. They have always been careful about money and this won’t necessarily change with the new owners. They play to their strengths and I feel are in many ways a very similar club to us.

My goodness!  Is everyone who has a different view to you arrogant? 

You seem to have an interest in history so you may find a website called TWTD of interest. 

10 hours ago, Surfer said:

I would say that was a classic case of "commentators curse" it was just your turn to be a victim of it tonight. 

Not a bit of it. I don't care whether they win or not. I just can't stand their style of football. Their manager seems to have a bit of a problem as well! 

1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Not a bit of it. I don't care whether they win or not. I just can't stand their style of football. Their manager seems to have a bit of a problem as well! 

I understand what your OP was getting at. We have a Burnley lad at the Golf Club and he doesn't like watching them either.

Watching Ashley Barnes charging around the pitch looking for an argument and Chris Wood hoping for a high ball is not entertainment for the neutral.

It was just amusing that your post collided in space and time with an awful Liverpool performance, an end to their long unbeaten run and Sean Dyche being able to prattle on afterwards about "our game plan tonight", which consisted of Pope, Mee and Tarkowski throwing themselves in front of runaway trains. Which is their usual game plan.

39 minutes ago, king canary said:

They do.

I've seen a few takes from fans of other clubs on social media along the lines of 'what is the point of Norwich going up, they won't even try to stay up' after last season. 

Yeah around 90 percent of the comments on social media relating to news about our season tend to be

'pointless tinpot club go up only to get relegated again no point in them even going up waste of a space'

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yeah around 90 percent of the comments on social media relating to news about our season tend to be

'pointless tinpot club go up only to get relegated again no point in them even going up waste of a space'

Hopefully that changes next season but that pretty much sums up opposing fans viewpoints. 

They play awful football yeah but so do about 10 other clubs in that division and they do it with probably the smallest budget. The Premier League is terrible to watch nowadays and has been for about 5 years. 

So many teams all play the same way. Burnley, Crystal Palace, West Ham, Brighton, Fulham, West Brom,  Newcastle, Wolves and Villa all do exactly the same thing. Fill their team with big lads, stick 10 men behind the ball every game and use the simplistic tactic of 'just give it to a fast player to run with' when they get the ball back. To attack all teams ever do is get it wide and hit crosses in, every team spends an age on set pieces and uses them as one of their man tactics,, it's so poor to watch. 

The sad thing is this type of thing used to get managers sacked even if they were doing alright in the league, now with survival in that league being the be all and end all fans seem to be okay with watching that rubbish. As poor as we were last season I don't understand why fans of super rich teams like West Ham and Crystal Palace for example could have been happy with watching them stick 10 men behind the ball in a home game against us, while we were looking like relegation fodder. A few years ago managers would have been shot for something like that. It's effective, but what is the point? 

Against teams who actually tried to play football against us last year we picked up some good results and had some good performances. But so many teams set up to play like they're the massive underdog even though their teams cost 100's of millions and it's why the Pl is so tough to compete in nowadays and why it offers the worst spectacle out of any of Europe's top leagues including the Championship. I'd rather watch a non league game than Newcastle v Burnley or Palace V West Brom 

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

They play awful football yeah but so do about 10 other clubs in that division and they do it with probably the smallest budget. The Premier League is terrible to watch nowadays and has been for about 5 years. 

So many teams all play the same way. Burnley, Crystal Palace, West Ham, Brighton, Fulham, West Brom,  Newcastle, Wolves and Villa all do exactly the same thing. Fill their team with big lads, stick 10 men behind the ball every game and use the simplistic tactic of 'just give it to a fast player to run with' when they get the ball back. To attack all teams ever do is get it wide and hit crosses in, every team spends an age on set pieces and uses them as one of their man tactics,, it's so poor to watch. 

The sad thing is this type of thing used to get managers sacked even if they were doing alright in the league, now with survival in that league being the be all and end all fans seem to be okay with watching that rubbish. As poor as we were last season I don't understand why fans of super rich teams like West Ham and Crystal Palace for example could have been happy with watching them stick 10 men behind the ball in a home game against us, while we were looking like relegation fodder. A few years ago managers would have been shot for something like that. It's effective, but what is the point? 

Against teams who actually tried to play football against us last year we picked up some good results and had some good performances. But so many teams set up to play like they're the massive underdog even though their teams cost 100's of millions and it's why the Pl is so tough to compete in nowadays and why it offers the worst spectacle out of any of Europe's top leagues including the Championship. I'd rather watch a non league game than Newcastle v Burnley or Palace V West Brom 

Agree with most of this. 

As a fan, I naturally want to see us in the top division, but know that as a consequence we will end up watching a lot of low quality football (albeit often played by higher quality players - yes, I'm aware of the paradox 😁).

Most of us recognise that modern football has evolved there are divisions within the division in the EPL. Realistically we know that this situation is unlikely to improve - if anything the big clubs will want an even bigger share of revenues in the future. That is why I look forward to the inevitable European League when the big TV franchise clubs in England join a European league, leaving the top division in England to go back to competitive locally-based teams rather than the global TV franchise that now dominate our football.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

This sounds like someone who doesn't like the Premier League and doesn't actually watch much of it.

The idea Wolves or Villa play a bunch of big men and stick 10 behind the ball week in week out just baffles me.

Burnley are agricultural, Newcastle are ****e and Palace are dull but this just reads like you think anyone who doesn't play like Norwich do right now is dull. Personally a League of 20 teams all trying to do what we do would be just as dull as Burnley v Newcastle is right now.

5 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

The OP answered his own question.

Little ol' ( insert team here ) gave mighty ( insert team here ) a bloody nose.

Doesn't happen often but it's lovely when it does.

And such bloody noses are the essence of sport.

9 hours ago, king canary said:

This sounds like someone who doesn't like the Premier League and doesn't actually watch much of it.

The idea Wolves or Villa play a bunch of big men and stick 10 behind the ball week in week out just baffles me.

Burnley are agricultural, Newcastle are ****e and Palace are dull but this just reads like you think anyone who doesn't play like Norwich do right now is dull. Personally a League of 20 teams all trying to do what we do would be just as dull as Burnley v Newcastle is right now.

Those two teams are slightly different. But they still play on the counter and rely heavily on the physical attributes of their players to get by.  I feel like with the money those clubs have they should have a bit more ambition than that. 

I sometimes watch MOTD and the odd game where pretty much every goal scored is from a set piece or with a direct counter but most of my experience of watching the PL mostly comes from watching teams play us last season and almost all the time they set up against us similar to have clubs like how some of the smaller teams of this division set up against us except they had the athleticism to bully us and individual quality to take their chances when they came. I saw very little short passing or clever movement off the ball, very little skill or anything to all that dazzling to watch, just always a low block, lots of long passes and high crosses, players just getting their head down and running instead of looking for a pass and too much of an emphasis on set pieces which holds up and slows down the game so much. It's like half the league is managed by Sam Allardyce.

Every year I find myself rooting against a clutch of clubs that are stinking up that league. Watford went last year which was nice and a we're pretty much guaranteed to lose a few more this season, Palace will be in trouble eventually as their squad is ageing. Hopefully Brentford and Swansea come up alongside us and the three of us make a good fist of it and the make up of that league will start to look a bit better

On 21/01/2021 at 21:17, dylanisabaddog said:

I doubt we'll ever get to know what Dyche said to Klopp in the tunnel but looking forward to the interviews at the end 

I’m not an expert at lip reading, Dylan, but what I did make out was Dyche furiously asking Klopp where the hell the clubs photocopier was, as at half time he desperately needed to pin up on the wall a copy of a thread from a Championship clubs message board

Edited by Alex Moss

To answer the question of the OP directly (What is the point of Burnley?) the answer is quite simple: to try to make money for its owners.

1. The old owner seems to have done quite well, as 84% of the club was sold for £150 million. 

2. MSD Capital (which seems to be everywhere atm) should do very nicely - they lent £80 million of the purchase price at a rate estimated to be 9.5% which could rise to 12% after fees.

3. The new owner ALK Capital only put £10 to 15million of its own capital - the rest coming from the £80 million loan from MSD and, would you believe it, the £55 million cash pile that Burnley has built up! 

It will leave Burnley in a very vulnerable position with interest payments of over 10 million a year, they cannot afford to relegated.

"American hedge funds are very aggressive when things go wrong — forced sale of players and so on. It won’t end well. They will get relegated in the next few years and the loan will be called, much like Sunderland and (that club’s former owner) Ellis Short."

https://theathletic.co.uk/2305713/2021/01/08/burnley-takeover-football-soccer/

... and still there are some fans that want us to have new owners? 🤦‍♂️

On 22/01/2021 at 09:39, dylanisabaddog said:

My goodness!  Is everyone who has a different view to you arrogant? 

You seem to have an interest in history so you may find a website called TWTD of interest. 

The sort of response one might expect from an arrogant **. The point of Burnley FC is that they are a valued part of their community that has had success at the top level and might have more success in the future.  Yes, we all take the pi$$ out of the history boys down the A140 but the unfortunate fact is that they actually have achieved more in terms of trophies than we have. The good news is that we are more likely to have future success than they are.

Finally, would you be happy to have fans of other clubs ask “What is the point of Norwich City?”

29 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

The sort of response one might expect from an arrogant **. The point of Burnley FC is that they are a valued part of their community that has had success at the top level and might have more success in the future.  Yes, we all take the pi$$ out of the history boys down the A140 but the unfortunate fact is that they actually have achieved more in terms of trophies than we have. The good news is that we are more likely to have future success than they are.

Finally, would you be happy to have fans of other clubs ask “What is the point of Norwich City?”

You are setting your own agenda and completely ignoring the point. Would you be happy to watch football like that? I love my club but I'd think twice about it if we had Dyche here. I still have nightmares about Hughton.

The point at issue is whether there is a point in maintaining Premier League status at any cost. I think not and I think you'll find that most Norwich fans agree. 

By the way, Burnley hasn't won anything since 1960!  Since John Bond was manager here we have by and large had a history of playing entertaining football. I'm 61 and can't remember ever being entertained or impressed by them. That's not arrogance, it's a valid opinion of someone who loves football. 

I watched the Burnley v Villa game and it was very entertaining......Burnley's 'Never say Die' attitude was commendable.....Although the best part was the sour cabbage patch kid face on pop sock wearin' Grealish as the full time whisle was blown......great stuff.....