Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

What is the point of Burnley?

I'm a bit bored with talking about how good we are so I thought I'd start a thread about another team. Tonight's offering is Liverpool v Burnley which led me to wonder, what on earth is the point of Burnley FC? I have a choice of their match tonight or a knitting programme on Channel 763. I'm going to give the knitting programme a look. Or I have Bridgerton on Netflix but I tend to save that for Saturday nights when we've won again. I think I need a vaccine. Please help. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm a bit bored with talking about how good we are so I thought I'd start a thread about another team. Tonight's offering is Liverpool v Burnley which led me to wonder, what on earth is the point of Burnley FC? I have a choice of their match tonight or a knitting programme on Channel 763. I'm going to give the knitting programme a look. Or I have Bridgerton on Netflix but I tend to save that for Saturday nights when we've won again. I think I need a vaccine. Please help. 

There's definitely more action in the box with Bridgerton than with Burnley.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

9 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

20210119_183305.thumb.jpg.44fd5e521021d51deb7feaf69eadb185.jpg

There is a dog here that agrees with you. She normally only watches David Attenborough 

• Haha 2

Would imagine folk from outside Norfolk were saying the same thing about us last season 

3 minutes ago, daly said:

Would imagine folk from outside Norfolk were saying the same thing about us last season 

Other than when we are in the hunt for promotion or beating one of the big boys, there are not too many folk outside of the East who discuss all things Norwich City full stop.

Let's hope we can start thumping some more popular teams soon and show off our particular style whilst doing so

39 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

You do realise that any minute now someone is going to amuse us all by saying “why aren’t we Burnley ?”

• Haha 1

There really are some arrogant people on this forum. Burnley are one of the grand old names of English football and can point to nstional championship and FA Cup titles unlike our great club. They also have the highest attendance to population ratio in English football for what that’s worth. Sure they are not very attractive to watch but still seem able to give us fairly frequent tonkings when we play each other. Indeed it was their four goal thrashing of us at Carrow Road that led to Notmean’s sacking back in the day.

Edited by Crafty Canary
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, paddycanary said:

If they were playing in the back garden I'd close the curtains.

Me too. That's why no one has ever said 'Why aren't we Burnley? ' 

With more physicality in midfield we should be taking points off them next season.

Oh “if” we get promoted of course.

Oh and “if” they don’t get relegated. 

Probably the best supported team in England if you go via size of population, catchment area ( not to mention the demographic as considerable Asian population). Maybe least fashionable club in division also which should make me like them, but it doesn’t. 

11 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

There really are some arrogant people on this forum. Burnley are one of the grand old names of English football and can point to nstional championship and FA Cup titles unlike our great club. They also have the highest attendance to population ratio in English football for what that’s worth. Sure they are not very attractive to watch but still seem able to give us fairly frequent tonkings when we play each other. Indeed it was their four goal thrashing of us at Carrow Road that led to Notmean’s sacking back in the day.

Please accept my apologies for being arrogant. And for my dislike of boring football. 

• Like 1

Showing my age, but this all reminds me of a wonderful quote from Bill Shankly at the end of the 1970/71 season. 

"After we lost to Burnley at the start of the season their manager said they were in a different league to us. At the end of the season they were". 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

If they were playing in the back garden I'd close the curtains.

I hope they're blackout curtains, you don't want to take any risks.

• Haha 1

You’ve got 3 categories of club in the prem

1) “Big clubs” - Your Liverpool’s, your Man United etc

2) “Pet Clubs”- clubs that are adopted by pundits and big club fans for being ever so plucky and a good show. This season see Leeds, Aston Villa. Big clubs fans want them to do well but not at the extent of their own team. Also see “plucky Bournemouth” and “Swansealona”

3) “The Rest” - Literal cannon fodder just there to be beaten senseless by the playthings of overseas billionaire criminals playthings

2 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

You’ve got 3 categories of club in the prem

1) “Big clubs” - Your Liverpool’s, your Man United etc

2) “Pet Clubs”- clubs that are adopted by pundits and big club fans for being ever so plucky and a good show. This season see Leeds, Aston Villa. Big clubs fans want them to do well but not at the extent of their own team. Also see “plucky Bournemouth” and “Swansealona”

3) “The Rest” - Literal cannon fodder just there to be beaten senseless by the playthings of overseas billionaire criminals playthings

Burnley has just been bought by one of those billionaire people which is very confusing. They are also plucky, so much so that their centre half once got excited and kicked the ball into Yorkshire. I think you need a 4th category just for them. The other 3 are spot on. 

2 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Burnley has just been bought by one of those billionaire people which is very confusing. They are also plucky, so much so that their centre half once got excited and kicked the ball into Yorkshire. I think you need a 4th category just for them. The other 3 are spot on. 

It’s transient as well. Last season we went from “they haven’t been ambitious enough and should have spent a load of money” to “the best last placed team ever” back and forth all over the place. 

There's an argument that their style of football might be the only chance most teams a similar size have of staying in the prem from more than a season.

For me, I'd rather get relegated.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, hogesar said:

There's an argument that their style of football might be the only chance most teams a similar size have of staying in the prem from more than a season.

For me, I'd rather get relegated.

Entirely this. I want to be entertained first, I also want to be proud of our style. I'd genuinely rather get relegated like last season trying to play football than survive with Hughton style football.

Is it a condition of being a Burnley star to have the looks, touch and etiquette of a bricky's labourer? 

Oh and before anyone calls foul for snobbery or whatever I was a plasterer's labourer as a young man - in the days before you needed tattoos to get the gig, that's how long ago.

Couple of observations from the Liverpool Burnley game.

Burnley are a team of big lads, infact the slightest member of that team is a certain R Brady. They are scrapping and tackling hard for every ball and are a strong unit as a result. I would say without that physicality they would be out of this game already.

Liverpool control the game but when they lose the ball the game looks like it's gone into a mad fast forward mode until they win it back again, once they get it back they either slow it down or attack immediately, again and again. Their incessant pressing when out of possession is always impressive. 

Two very different teams, two very different styles. We would need to have a good bit of both of that to survive there if we get back.