cambridgeshire canary

With Soto back- What's our striker order?

2 minutes ago, Clint said:

So Soto who has never kicked a ball in England, not played more than a handful of first team matches in his whole career, never even been seen in the flesh by Farke, etc etc now our 2nd choice striker and soon to be our first?

This board is absolute comedy gold at times.

He's quick, got great control, confident and not afraid to shoot and can score with his head. The fact he hasn't played in England shouldn't make any difference. A football is football what ever country you play in and the rules are the same.

He plays for the USA, a massive country with an equally massive pool of players to choose from so he is no mug that is for sure 

It's going to be a very interesting half season coming up with him arriving. However, he will be fighting for 3rd spot at the most and hopefully he will push on as time will start to run out. Be nice if we can progress in the cup and see him get some minutes.

9 minutes ago, Mullet said:

He's quick, got great control, confident and not afraid to shoot and can score with his head. The fact he hasn't played in England shouldn't make any difference. A football is football what ever country you play in and the rules are the same.

He plays for the USA, a massive country with an equally massive pool of players to choose from so he is no mug that is for sure 

The difference between  football and football is the opposition.  Seb Soto hasnt played many games at all against decent opponents.   Yes    he scored for  USA , but who were the opponents... Wales and  Panama ..in friendlies.  I'm not knocking the lad at all , he is extremely  promising.  My dutch footy pal comes from IJmuiden  , He follows three teams .. Ajax, Norwich  and Telstar  ... his home town team.  He reads local papers sent over by his mum.  Soto is very highly thought of  in them there parts.

His latest idea of humour.... Soto does well for Norwich, gets snapped up by Ajax.  Cloggy To$$er!! 

1 hour ago, Mullet said:

I wish I could have a wager with you Thirsty, I can see this lad is the future and he's going to prove it fairly quickly.

I bet Farke is now readying Soto for a Premier league onslaught. I will enjoy keeping you updated on this 

Mark my words Mullet I absolutely hope that you are right!  I assure you nothing would give me greater pleasure than you popping up here on a regular basis poking fun at me as Soto bangs in another Premier League goal. 

1 hour ago, kirku said:

Unsubstantiated theory: we're bringing Soto back because there's a temporary January period of leniency (with appeals to a panel) for the new work permit scheme, meaning now is the best chance of him getting one.

Waiting for Priti Patel to work her evil magic!  Wonder if she is a football fan ......?  Hmmm. 

Pukki is number 1

Idah was number 2, pace, strength and had worked with our creative players previously. Once he is fit he will be on the subs bench as farke likes to keep pukki on and have Idah coming in from the left. I can see why,  the style of play does not change too much and Idah can do a lot and improve greatly. He is good enough for the championship and if we are playing dominant he will gain more confidence.

Hugill relies on the group slightly differently, we are beginning to see him settle but I would also say that Idah is the likely change as he can fit into the technical style we play. So I would say Hugill and Idah are equally 2nd choice and it depends on who we are playing.

Hugill will start if pukki is out, but Idah is likely to be the first striker to come off the bench if pukki starts or remains on the pitch.

Either way 3 good strikers. I think soto will be a really exciting prospect, what technique, intelligence, awareness and ability. He looks very, very promising.

Will he end up spending the rest of the season with "Milton Keynes" Dons under the wing of our own Russ? Learn how to be 'economical' with primary possession? (That one's for Horsefly! 😁)

Edited by paddycanary

18 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

Will he end up spending the rest of the season with "Milton Keynes" Dons under the wing of our own Russ? Learn how to be 'economical' with primary possession? (That one's for Horsefly! 😁)

Not sure we'll want him being managed by Hot Head Russell Martin. 😉 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55736370

3 hours ago, Clint said:

So Soto who has never kicked a ball in England, not played more than a handful of first team matches in his whole career, never even been seen in the flesh by Farke, etc etc is now our 2nd choice striker and soon to be our first?

Added to which we paid (according to the unimpeachable source of Wikipedia) “up to” £5 million for Hugill. That’s an awful lot of money for someone who is third or even fourth choice striker. Makes the idea of buying Quintilla for £2.3 million as backup left back almost realistic.

9 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

Burnley again! What's the point?😃

Given Klopp's histrionics tonight - Russell Martin last weekend and Emi and Drmic getting sent off when we played them last season the answer would appear to be: To wind people up!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

We're bringing Soto back to evaluate him. Imagine either him or Omotoye will be heading out on loan by the end of January depending on which one seems further along.

Hugil 2nd choice for me still as long as Pukki is 100% fit, I also think having the competition will be good for Teemu, he's shouldered a lot of our goal-scoring load in recent seasons and Hugill's form could take the pressure off and allow him to find his shooting boots again. If Soto is a proper talent I'd be keen to see him get 20-30 mins at the end of games to help kill things off.

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/city-end-soto-telstar-loan-early-6921402

Your opening paragraph is essentially a re hashed copy and paste from this article 😜 you imagine or David Freezer imagines?  

Edited by Basel_NCFC

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Has anyone seen Soto play to judge him?

Pah! Who needs actual evidence? 😉

I haven't read through most of this thread but anything other than Pukki, Hugill, Idah (when fit) and then Soto is wrong.

Bailey said Omotoye will now head out on loan and Soto takes up his current slot as third striker. FWIW Idah and Hugill were pretty even but I'd say with the long layoff for the former and JH finding his form a bit he's now 2nd.

This is of course unless SS is instantly Landon Donovan, which although not impossible, feels a little premature to decide. 

16 hours ago, C.I.D said:

.......and Dean Coney 😉

😀

When can we drop this Sebastian name nonsense and just go with Sody McDonald?

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Soto ahead of Idah who needs a season long loan next season. 

Idah is already a regular for the Republic of Ireland, played regularly for us in the Prem after lockdown last season and is very highly rated by all at Carrow Road. He offers pace and directness that neither Pukki or Hugill have. Time will tell I suppose, but I would be very surprised to see us loan him out. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Clint said:

So Soto who has never kicked a ball in England, not played more than a handful of first team matches in his whole career, never even been seen in the flesh by Farke, etc etc is now our 2nd choice striker and soon to be our first?

He’s a USA international striker. Of course he plays. Next year he will fill Emi’s shoes as our best player on the pitch. Plus a massive PR win for EPL coverage meaning exposure of NCFC in the US which will help develop the Tampa Bay talent pipeline. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Never mind the striker order - he might have to play LB tomorrow with Hugill at CB! 

No need to worry Alex - the versatile Jacob Sorensen is going to play left back and centre back tomorrow all at the same time. 🙂 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Hugills 6th choice behind “Giving Hanley a go” from what I hear on certain threads

Not on attacking corners I hope.

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Idah is already a regular for the Republic of Ireland, played regularly for us in the Prem after lockdown last season and is very highly rated by all at Carrow Road. He offers pace and directness that neither Pukki or Hugill have. Time will tell I suppose, but I would be very surprised to see us loan him out. 

I do believe Soto has caps too, scored 2 on his international debut which isn’t a bad start. 

For my tupence worth, Idah has been injured and not played for while I’d certainly say Soto has more match fitness right now, not sure he’ll get the nod ahead of the senior two but certainly will end up on the bench and when he gets his chance it’ll be up to him to take it.

I certainly can’t see him being recalled to be loaned out again, he’ll be involved and going by the first part of the season we need 4 strikers to cover Covid and injuries.

Edited by Indy

Pump the breaks with Soto. Dont get me wrong, as an American I want him to be the best player in this squad. He is no where near pukki, Hugill or Idah. 2 of these 3 start for their national teams and the other scored what 18 goals in the championship just last season. 

Soto, while he has played recently in some friendlies for the US Team, will not even sniff that lineup come legitimate competition. He wont even get a call up for training. The guys that beat him out (altidore, morris, zardes, arriola, etc) on the US National Team, while legit talents in the MLS, would likely be average in this league. Therefore, Soto at this point in his young career would likely be below average and fall well behind pukki, idah and hugill. 

59 minutes ago, Indy said:

For my tupence worth, Idah has been injured and not played for while I’d certainly say Soto has more match fitness right now, not sure he’ll get the nod ahead of the senior two but certainly will end up on the bench and when he gets his chance it’ll be up to him to take it.

I certainly can’t see him being recalled to be loaned out again, he’ll be involved and going by the first part of the season we need 4 strikers to cover Covid and injuries.

You may not see him being loaned out, but it appears that Farke can. 

Farke on Soto.PNG

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

You may not see him being loaned out, but it appears that Farke can. 

Farke on Soto.PNG

Not sure what idea was to bring him back then, maybe work permit being available which might not be the case in the summer?

45 minutes ago, Indy said:

Not sure what idea was to bring him back then, maybe work permit being available which might not be the case in the summer?

You're a funny one sometimes Indy.

The quote from Farke says that they 'will take a look at him until the end of the month and assess his progress' and then it 'may be that he goes back out on loan'. 

Your reaction to this is: "Not sure what the idea was to bring him back then".

My reaction to his is: "The idea is to take a look at him until the end of the month and assess his progress and then make a decision as to what to do next.". 

10 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

You're a funny one sometimes Indy.

The quote from Farke says that they 'will take a look at him until the end of the month and assess his progress' and then it 'may be that he goes back out on loan'. 

Your reaction to this is: "Not sure what the idea was to bring him back then".

My reaction to his is: "The idea is to take a look at him until the end of the month and assess his progress and then make a decision as to what to do next.". 

If he goes out on loan it'll  be to a tougher league than Dutch 2nd division, makes sense . Cant see why people are getting carried away with this lad, he has promise....and that's about it. A league 1 or lower championship  loan would allow him to show what he's  made of .