cambridgeshire canary

With Soto back- What's our striker order?

No way would Soto be ahead of Hugill??....but there might be a chance he could be ahead of Idah, if we keep him around the club and dont send him back out on loan

....I'm yet to be completely convinced by Idah and a loan could be very beneficial to him?

• Like 3

We're bringing Soto back to evaluate him. Imagine either him or Omotoye will be heading out on loan by the end of January depending on which one seems further along.

Hugil 2nd choice for me still as long as Pukki is 100% fit, I also think having the competition will be good for Teemu, he's shouldered a lot of our goal-scoring load in recent seasons and Hugill's form could take the pressure off and allow him to find his shooting boots again. If Soto is a proper talent I'd be keen to see him get 20-30 mins at the end of games to help kill things off.

Seems like people have forgotten that at the start of the season Farke would often turn to Idah before Hugill. Now that may have changed as Hugill became more settled in the squad, but as far as I can tell Idah is someone they rate extremely highly and the fact he hasn't gone out on loan yet makes me think he won't be going any time soon.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, repman said:

Seems like people have forgotten that at the start of the season Farke would often turn to Idah before Hugill. Now that may have changed as Hugill became more settled in the squad, but as far as I can tell Idah is someone they rate extremely highly and the fact he hasn't gone out on loan yet makes me think he won't be going any time soon.

Respect that, but that was then and this is now, and Hugill just had 2 good games and scored 2 goals, if Pukki isn't fit he's earned a starting place and the rest of the team has started to adjust the way they play to accommodate him  too (see Cantwell's cross).

33 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I'm presuming it's Pukki 1st choice, Soto 2nd and Hugill 3rd?

Do kind of feel for Hugil now.. Either way, we thinking Soto will be playing for us in two days time?

You do post some absolutely bat sh*t crazy stuff sometimes CC.  

The order is this: Pukki, Hugill, Idah, Soto. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If Soto to play for U23's will he go into their bubble, or do the squads mix, I would think if there is a first team bubble it now includes Omodabile and Omotoye.  They are in separate bubbles to confine covid from infecting each squad member.   Think he would have been better served staying at Telstar for first team opportunities.

57 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

No way would Soto be ahead of Hugill??....but there might be a chance he could be ahead of Idah, if we keep him around the club and dont send him back out on loan

....I'm yet to be completely convinced by Idah and a loan could be very beneficial to him?

I'd personally look to loan out Idah if Soto gets a work permit before whatever the loan deadline is.

MK Dons looking for a Carlton Morris replacement? Probably be the right sort of place to cut his teeth. 

1 minute ago, pete said:

Think he would have been better served staying at Telstar for first team opportunities.

Probably taking Idah's minutes, and Idah will go out on loan? 

51 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

According to Michael Bailey Soto into the U23s with Omotoye going out on loan.

So first team striker pecking order probably unchanged.

Yes, I don't know why we really need another thread on this.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I'm presuming it's Pukki 1st choice, Soto 2nd and Hugill 3rd?

Do kind of feel for Hugil now.. Either way, we thinking Soto will be playing for us in two days time?

I agree 1st Pukki, 2nd Soto, 3rd Hugill who ironically played better yesterday.

How do we do with two strikers on the pitch together as a 4-4-2 is that a thing anymore

I think Soto will replace Omotoye. This is my prediction in the pecking order:

1) Pukki - great player

2) Hugill - looks like he's on a run of form. If he keeps it going I can even see a possibility of him overtaking Pukki though

3) Idah - at the start I saw him as 2nd, but as he's been out for a long time and Hugill's been on form recently I think he'll drop

4) Soto - done well out on loan, but I don't think the league is as strong as our 2nd tier and I think one thing you have to take into account when a player does well on loan is what level they were playing at. I mean why did we specifically loan McCallum back out to Coventry and not a 3rd or 4th tier side? - He had no experience above League One

Pukki 1st choice but not as clear as it was. Given the same continuous run in the first team Hugil or Idah could show that they offer just as good if not better. 

puts on tin hat

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

You do post some absolutely bat sh*t crazy stuff sometimes CC.  

The order is this: Pukki, Hugill, Idah, Soto. 

You mark my words Thirsty, give Soto a couple of games or three and he'll be our number one striker ahead of Pukki. I think we've seen the last of Hugill in the league 

10 minutes ago, Mullet said:

You mark my words Thirsty, give Soto a couple of games or three and he'll be our number one striker ahead of Pukki. I think we've seen the last of Hugill in the league 

🤣 You mark my words Mullet - you're even crazier than CC. (Soto looks an intriguing prospect to be sure, but people are getting way ahead of themselves - give him time to develop and lets see where he gets to). 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Mullet said:

Thats quite a statement to make the day after he scores a brace.

I think its likely Soto will now get a week of training with the first team at least, almost like a trial to see how he fairs and then from there he will either be seen as close to the first team and might find his way onto the bench or alternatively they will be looking for a league 1 team to take him on and get him some game time. Its a hard one to call as he is a little older than Omotoye, and with international experience that is likely to only increase. Could well be that we have him and Idah fighting it out to get that role of replacing Pukki in a game if he is tired but the 'on the floor' approach is working. I don't think its right to suggest he is going to come in to replace Hugill, if anything just because what jordan offers stylistically is something so different.

1 hour ago, Hucks6 said:

Surely they are all behind Ron Davies/Ted McDougall/Phil Boyer otbc

.......and Dean Coney 😉

• Haha 1

Unsubstantiated theory: we're bringing Soto back because there's a temporary January period of leniency (with appeals to a panel) for the new work permit scheme, meaning now is the best chance of him getting one.

8 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

🤣 You mark my words Mullet - you're even crazier than CC. (Soto looks an intriguing prospect to be sure, but people are getting way ahead of themselves - give him time to develop and lets see where he gets to). 

I wish I could have a wager with you Thirsty, I can see this lad is the future and he's going to prove it fairly quickly.

I bet Farke is now readying Soto for a Premier league onslaught. I will enjoy keeping you updated on this 

So Soto who has never kicked a ball in England, not played more than a handful of first team matches in his whole career, never even been seen in the flesh by Farke, etc etc is now our 2nd choice striker and soon to be our first?

This board is absolute comedy gold at times.

Edited by Clint
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, Mullet said:

Words duly marked. In case Thirstyo doesnt mark 'em 

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Thanks 1