Sign in to follow this  
ncfcstar

Oliver Skipp 👏

The season so far has seen so many of our players putting in fantastic performances week in week out.  The team as a whole, as Chris Goreham said last night to Farke are a 'well oiled machine'.  I can't remember a season where I have felt so confident in our defence, and not that nervous with a 1 goal lead (although that may be more to do with us not being in the stadium).  I genuinely believe that the key man in all of this has been Oliver Skipp, and I know he has been in for plenty of praise but for a 20 year old he is quite simply outstanding.

We have been crying out for a player in his mould ever since the promotion to the Premier League under Lambert in 2011.  I can't remember the amount of summers that have gone where people have asked for a good DM to be signed, who not only shields the defence but has the quality to then spring attacks with accurate passing and dribbling.  Tettey was the option signed by Hughton, and he's done a good job over the years, but he's not in the same league as Skipp.

I don't think it's that ridiculous to state that if we'd have had a player like Skipp under Hughton, we'd probably have done a far better job of staying up.  He would have been a great addition to the style of football we were playing at the time.  Under Farke after 18/19 it was obvious we needed a player like that in the summer before venturing on another season of Premier League football.  Webber thought Amadou could be that man, but injuries and I'm assuming attitude quickly put paid to that.  Again I don't think it's silly to say that with Skipp (or a similar player) in the team last season, we would have done a better job of staying up - especially after Project Restart.

His ball retention is fantastic, his defensive maturity is quite amazing for someone so young, and his ability to bring the ball forward is also second to none.  I doubt we'll be able to sign him in the long term, but another season on loan would be great.  The real shame will be when he inevitably returns to Spurs and we have to replace him.  Sorensen may be that option, but I genuinely believe Skipp will be a world class player and a regular England starter within the next few years.

Brilliant.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Aarons will certainly miss Skipp covering his **** next season if we can't secure another loan...

Not if Max joins Spurs 😉

43 minutes ago, ncfcstar said:

The season so far has seen so many of our players putting in fantastic performances week in week out.  The team as a whole, as Chris Goreham said last night to Farke are a 'well oiled machine'.  I can't remember a season where I have felt so confident in our defence, and not that nervous with a 1 goal lead (although that may be more to do with us not being in the stadium).  I genuinely believe that the key man in all of this has been Oliver Skipp, and I know he has been in for plenty of praise but for a 20 year old he is quite simply outstanding.

We have been crying out for a player in his mould ever since the promotion to the Premier League under Lambert in 2011.  I can't remember the amount of summers that have gone where people have asked for a good DM to be signed, who not only shields the defence but has the quality to then spring attacks with accurate passing and dribbling.  Tettey was the option signed by Hughton, and he's done a good job over the years, but he's not in the same league as Skipp.

I don't think it's that ridiculous to state that if we'd have had a player like Skipp under Hughton, we'd probably have done a far better job of staying up.  He would have been a great addition to the style of football we were playing at the time.  Under Farke after 18/19 it was obvious we needed a player like that in the summer before venturing on another season of Premier League football.  Webber thought Amadou could be that man, but injuries and I'm assuming attitude quickly put paid to that.  Again I don't think it's silly to say that with Skipp (or a similar player) in the team last season, we would have done a better job of staying up - especially after Project Restart.

His ball retention is fantastic, his defensive maturity is quite amazing for someone so young, and his ability to bring the ball forward is also second to none.  I doubt we'll be able to sign him in the long term, but another season on loan would be great.  The real shame will be when he inevitably returns to Spurs and we have to replace him.  Sorensen may be that option, but I genuinely believe Skipp will be a world class player and a regular England starter within the next few years.

Brilliant.

Very well put. I also love his temperament - he just gets up and gets on with it if he's fouled; isn't afraid to take a yellow if he needs to; and doesn't (hopefully) get injured despite taking some whacks. A very promising player and the type that England haven't had for many years - the modern day, cleaner version of Nobby Stiles.

Just, for a moment, imagine an England team with Skipp playing behind Maddison, Barnes/Mount and Grealish with Kane and Rashford up top. 

22 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Really need a strong replacement when he goes.

Looks like Sorensen.

He was absolutely immense last night as he has been all season. Wherever a gap appears he plugs it, full back, centre back, doesn't matter. And he plays sensible football, very rarely a Hollywood type pass from a quarterback position. Hope we can have him back next season, whatever league we're in

46 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Looks like Sorensen.

Only worry I have is with his pace. Every other department he's a Rolls-Royce of a player.

4 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Only worry I have is with his pace. Every other department he's a Rolls-Royce of a player.

Hes deceptively  quick, just looks languid.  We've discussed before how some players just look as if theyve got it all under control ....he's  one. An Ajax  supporting  buddy told me last night  that he looks a class above..... good enough for them!! 

Just *B* Bumping this one back up. Valued at £7m do we not think that Skipp is worth a cheeky bid should we go up? He's absolute class, probably £10m in honesty and is he going to get ahead of the 4 current spuds players going for 2 positions? They luve a splash out too...

...plus seeing Naismith, Klose and RVP as our top 3 most expensive signings makes me itchy. We need to right the wrong and this is sooo right.

I think the best we can hope with Skipp, is that Spurs see the next stage of his development being a season long loan at a Premier League team next season, we'd surely be all a parties first choice in that scenario. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I think the best we can hope with Skipp, is that Spurs see the next stage of his development being a season long loan at a Premier League team next season, we'd surely be all a parties first choice in that scenario. 

Yes, similar to Dean Henderson's loan from Man Utd to Sheff Utd. With them for a season in the Champs (when they got promoted) and the following season in the Prem. Worked brilliantly for both parties. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, spencer 1970 said:

Just *B* Bumping this one back up. Valued at £7m do we not think that Skipp is worth a cheeky bid should we go up? He's absolute class, probably £10m in honesty and is he going to get ahead of the 4 current spuds players going for 2 positions? They luve a splash out too...

...plus seeing Naismith, Klose and RVP as our top 3 most expensive signings makes me itchy. We need to right the wrong and this is sooo right.

He's worth far more than £7-10m. Spurs wouldn't even consider such an offer.

The thing I like most about him is that he's 20 yet he plays with the experience of a 35-year-old. I can't remember the last time I saw a player so young play with so much maturity.

Was going to bump this thread today... what a player! Best loan signing since Hucks. Just oozes class and composure every game.

Desperately hope we can get another season from him if we go up

Can't see Tottenham wanting him to go anywhere next season-would think they'll want him in the squad for August and only loan him out in January if he hasn't had many games up until then-its not as if he's raw and untried there, he's already played 15 games for them.

If, massive if, they get shot of Mourinho between now and the start of next season, that might make a difference-but there will be bigger clubs than us aware of him now.

1 minute ago, city4eva said:

No way will Spurs sell him. Just got to hope they will loan him back to us next season. 

wonder if we can use him in a deal for Aarons... Seems inevitable he'll be moving on so maybe get Skipp involved in a deal with a buy back clause if he becomes Zidane

25 minutes ago, spencer 1970 said:

Where on earth did you get £7m from? 

You can triple or quadruple that and we might get him!

1 minute ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Where on earth did you get £7m from? 

You can triple or quadruple that and we might get him!

lol if spurs were selling him for that I'd be digging under the sofa for a few coins myself!

8 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

He's worth far more than £7-10m. Spurs wouldn't even consider such an offer.

The thing I like most about him is that he's 20 yet he plays with the experience of a 35-year-old. I can't remember the last time I saw a player so young play with so much maturity.

Thats the honest truth..Spurs and Mourinho know had good the lad is..even if we decided to more than double our biggest ever transfer fee...say 20 mill...i feel even that would not be enough. Doubt Tottenham  would ever consider him going except for an insane amount and 20 mill is not insane for  Skipp. He has surely been about our best loan signing ever .

On 21/01/2021 at 11:44, sgncfc said:

Very well put. I also love his temperament - he just gets up and gets on with it if he's fouled; isn't afraid to take a yellow if he needs to; and doesn't (hopefully) get injured despite taking some whacks. A very promising player and the type that England haven't had for many years - the modern day, cleaner version of Nobby Stiles.

Just, for a moment, imagine an England team with Skipp playing behind Maddison, Barnes/Mount and Grealish with Kane and Rashford up top. 

Wait, when did you change from this viewpoint of him being a full England International to now not thinking he is good enough for us in the prem?

5 minutes ago, spencer 1970 said:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/oliver-skipp/profil/spieler/406638

Transfermarkt. Don't shoot the messenger. 

I assumed it was Transfermarkt. It's a great site but the player values on it leave something to be desired and you shouldn't really take notice of them. 

1 minute ago, Essjayess said:

Thats the honest truth..Spurs and Mourinho know had good the lad is..even if we decided to more than double our biggest ever transfer fee...say 20 mill...i feel even that would not be enough. Doubt Tottenham  would ever consider him going except for an insane amount and 20 mill is not insane for  Skipp. He has surely been about our best loan signing ever .

...what a better loan signing than Antoine Sibierski or Steve Walsh? You have a short memory. 

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Wait, when did you change from this viewpoint of him being a full England International to now not thinking he is good enough for us in the prem?

Did I say he wasn't good enough for us in the prem?