Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

This Squad is getting better and better

What a shame we cannot go and watch in person as this squad is getting better and better certainly by championship standards. For quite a few games due to the injury list we ground out results which showed great character but now we have such depth, flair and options all that is missing is giving someone a good hiding. We have done well in these strange times to hang on to  Aaronns, Buendia and Cantwell, the latter is now really playing some fantastic football and all players are both energetic, comfortable on the ball and well motivated. I am really pleased that Hugill  in his rare stints is starting to show that he is very good at this level and provides that traditional big center forward option that we have not had since Holt left, iti s important both in defense and attack. Many reasons to be both hopeful and optimistic though still plenty of games yet to go. That said i would be really disappointed if we let this position slip and did not go up.  Gibson and Hanley look a great combination at the back just as well as Zimmermann has looked more vulnerable when he has played, maybe he has not fully recovered from his injury problems. If we went up i wonder if Spurs would let Skipp have another season with us on loan, he works so hard in midfield doing the basic stuff and is a big reason why we have let in a lot fewer goals. I see no way that Spurs would sell, he is a real emerging talent, but another loan at a higher level could help all parties. I actually thought the first half of the season would be slow for us and then the squad would kick on strongly in the second half of the season, but credit to all for doing so well.

• Like 1

Think we need to hope that Spurs decide that Skipp needs another season on loan to help his development. They have a few numbers already in that position. 

Hjojberg, Winks, Sissoko, Ndombele.

If not when we get promoted I am sure Skipp would be allowed to join us on loan.  Skipp would want to continue at a club where he will play many games and has established himself.  I've seen arguments Mourinho would want him to go to more established PL clubs cannot see how his development as a footballer would be enhanced by a stint with the likes of a Burnley, Palace or Brighton.  A season at a club playing football as it should be played in likely a relegation season will provide Skipp with better experience than a season struggling to survive a club playing poor football.

9 minutes ago, pete said:

If not when we get promoted I am sure Skipp would be allowed to join us on loan.  Skipp would want to continue at a club where he will play many games and has established himself.  I've seen arguments Mourinho would want him to go to more established PL clubs cannot see how his development as a footballer would be enhanced by a stint with the likes of a Burnley, Palace or Brighton.  A season at a club playing football as it should be played in likely a relegation season will provide Skipp with better experience than a season struggling to survive a club playing poor football.

Except Mourninho has already said he wanted to bring Skipp back to Spurs this window but has given him a little extra time to see how he does.

I can almost but gurantee there is no way Skipp is staying with us when this season ends

45 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Except Mourninho has already said he wanted to bring Skipp back to Spurs this window but has given him a little extra time to see how he does.

I can almost but gurantee there is no way Skipp is staying with us when this season ends

Do you work for either club?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Sorry but if you think he's staying here when Mourinho himself has already said he has a future at Spurs then I have nothing to say.

Oh, so when you say you can almost guarantee it, what you actually mean is that it's just your opinion based on media reports?

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Mourinho can hardly talk about him staying when we haven't even said we want him to, imagine how that would sound to Skipp? To be fair, Mourinho might be thinking that he will play in the cup games and if he's outstanding get in the first team, so it's certainly not a given. Maybe 50/50 chance.

We have to remember he is playing in the Championship. He is outstanding and must be close to Emi as the leagues MVP.

But to step up to the Prem is another matter. He will eventually but time is on his side and I'm sure he will prove a top player.

However, would Mourinho want him to play for us in the Prem with the likelihood of us being bottom h alf and struggling at times.

There's clear rationale for Skipp staying if we go up, and that doesn't at all impinge at all on Jose's "got a future at Spurs comments"

38 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Sorry but if you think he's staying here when Mourinho himself has already said he has a future at Spurs then I have nothing to say.

Which one of Spurs midfielders does he get in ahead of?

40 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Mourinho may just be trying to drive up the price of the loan fee. 

They have depth in that area and Skipp may well want assurances that he'll get regular game time. JM wanted him to stay this season but OS pushed for a loan move to get experience. 

If anyone takes what Jose Mourinho says at face value then more fool them. Hes flexing...as the kids say nowadays.  What better test  for a young DM than to be in a good ball playing side just promoted. He will get plenty of game time with us and his defensive ability  would be tested every  week. His technical  director would  learn far more about his level of ability than he would watching last night . Unless Spurs sell a couple of the players ahead of him or they decide he definitely  is good enough to play regularly  in their  side then  the chances of him staying another season are reasonable.

Of course it's too early to say yet, but I doubt Skipp would get in their team. This is the issue which the top teams always have in blooding youngsters - they don't have the time for them to settle down; they need players who are already at the required level. A season with us in the PL (if we get there) makes perfect sense, then he can take over from Sissoko who will be 33 by then. Easy, this management lark......!