CanaryLegend

What Positions Do We Need To Strengthen

If we go up which is looking increasingly likely?

For me another centre back is a must. Last year we struggled defensively and Gibson has been a great addition and partnered with Hanley very well this year. However feel we need added depth and even last season we got exposed with four recognised centre backs.

We need a striker and for me maybe our priority. Too much reliance on Pukki and pressure will be enormous. We need someone young with pace and power. We could do with a gem from overseas.

Then it depends on Skipp. Amazing this season and maybe Tottenham will give us one more season but that’s from a certainty given he’s been one of our best players.

A goalie to push Krul on or, difficult it would be, really compete. A centre-half and a complete clogger in the middle of the park would be nice. I'd like to ditch the number 10 idea and just play with two behind the striker (or two wingers, or a combination thereof). It probably will happen, but I'd like to see the likes of Barden, Omobamidele, Omotoye and one of Idah or Soto etc. get season-long loans next season.

We got exposed with four centre-halves only as we had the mother of all injury crises there.

Should we go up :

We need to make sure any outgoing players are replaced but also, Centre Back, a replacement for Skipp if we dont get him again (this is the most important)

A striker, possibly a number 10 too unless we move Emi inside.  

I agree with the comments of others 1] a striker. Pukki is good but possibly the years are catching up a tad. Huggill looks a good option could he be another Holt possibly but if we get to the top flight we need at least 3 strikers

2] CB Zimmermann is way off being what he was for whatever reason and though Hanley and Gibson are great together if we get to the top flight then we need 3 or 4 decent CB given abstractions for injury, suspensions etc

3] Possibly 2 in Midfield. Skipp is doing a wonderful job will Spurs want him back or give him another season with us, who knows but he will cost a lot to replace. Steipermann has continued his slide unfortunately and i doubt we would want to retain him even if we were in the championship, way out of his depth in the top flight. Tettey he has never let us down but if he were a car he would be in the classic category now, legs can only go for so long especially in the all action position he plays

2 minutes ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

I agree with the comments of others 1] a striker. Pukki is good but possibly the years are catching up a tad. Huggill looks a good option could he be another Holt possibly but if we get to the top flight we need at least 3 strikers

2] CB Zimmermann is way off being what he was for whatever reason and though Hanley and Gibson are great together if we get to the top flight then we need 3 or 4 decent CB given abstractions for injury, suspensions etc

3] Possibly 2 in Midfield. Skipp is doing a wonderful job will Spurs want him back or give him another season with us, who knows but he will cost a lot to replace. Steipermann has continued his slide unfortunately and i doubt we would want to retain him even if we were in the championship, way out of his depth in the top flight. Tettey he has never let us down but if he were a car he would be in the classic category now, legs can only go for so long especially in the all action position he plays

Agree with all of this plus I'd add another keeper with experience.

What I would like to see is a midfield unit that can dominate to replace Skipp and a pacey forward in the mould of a Vardy type. I would have said a big target man also but got my fingers crossed Hugill can be that one.

I like Dhiedeou from Bristol City as he's a real handful but last night he looked terrible.

If we don't get Skipp for another season then we need to replace him and I agree with the centre half concerns so would look to spend big there.

Probably not a popular opinion, but I would be tempted to give Pukki, Hugill and Idah a go as our attacking options and allow us to free up some cash for strengthening elsewhere. Unless Farke is considering giving Cantwell or Buendia a go in the Number 10 role, I think we need someone of Premier League quality in that position, moreso than we need a new striker. And let's be honest, there is no way we can afford/will gamble the cash needed to bring in four players of decent quality. So I would prioritise centre half, centre mid and number 10. In that order. If we can get Skipp for another year that fills that hole, then maybe I'd look at someone up top.

Keep Skipp, Gibson stays and then buy a pacy winger/striker style player like Antonio (yeah not him obviously as he'd be too expensive). Someone that can cover/provide a back up option up front for when pukki is knackered and we don't want the target man style but also someone who'd get game time out wide. Idah could then use a year out on loan.

I'd imagine much of any prem season next year would have to implement an element of counter attack and scoring cheap goals rather than conceding them. Last time up it seemed like we had to work 10x harder to score than our opponents who we'd routinely gift goals to. That 2 all draw with Arsenal springs to mind where we played really well and barely got troubled by them but we then basically gave Aubameyang a goal and lost the 3 points.

I'm presuming we'd need to replace Buendia and Aarons even if we do go up so big money on a wide player with a bit of flair and ability to cut inside. Reiss Nelson isn't a bad shout here.

Depending on Byrams fitness and Mumbas experience we could look here or use the money on a top quality centre back to play next to Gibson if Hanley/Zimm can't stay consistent.

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

I don't think Zimmerman has ever recovered his top form since the dreadful injury caused by that ars*ehole Haller. I still can't believe he was not sent off for that disgusting challenge. 

• Like 4

A lot will depend on who we lose during the summer. I can see some big offers coming in for the usual suspects...... unfortunately.

The most important signing is going to be the monied idiot who will finance the spending spree most posters are proposing.  We will not be in position to buy established PL players.  Will need to look at foreign imports who may not be eligible for work permits.  Or recruits from the Championship or lower divisions but PL not a place to learn the game.  There are some gems to be had if we had been cuter could have signed Semi Ajayi from Rotherham at the start of 2019/20 for £1m, now scoring goals to win matches for WBA.  Maybe option if Albion go down as CB option.  Second keeper look to relegated clubs.  Striker will cost £10m at least for a good un can't see spending this much, just haven't the funds, Diedhou a lively upgrade on Hugill could be an option but again look at relegated clubs, bot don't expect bargain buys.

Whatever it will be interesting but relegation likely to be the result.  

3 hours ago, CanaryLegend said:

We need a striker and for me maybe our priority. Too much reliance on Pukki and pressure will be enormous. We need someone young with pace and power. We could do with a gem from overseas.

That is a perfect description of Adam Idah. It's been a real shame that he's been out for so long this season, but I'm still hopeful that he'll come back and have a real impact for the rest of this season. 

If there is a deal for Emi to go to Arsenal I wouldn't be averse to getting Eddie Nketiah as part of it if possible - he hasn't played much for them this season. 

• Like 1

Of course assuming we are promoted - and in order of priority: 

1. A new DM - Presuming we don't get Skipp for another season, and that Sorenson isn't seen as a direct replacement (not 100% he has the physicality or mobility / speed?)

2. New CB - Upgrade on Hanley / Zimm

3. Number 10 - Could Dowell establish himself? Stiepermann, Vrancic not long term options there

4. Striker - To compete with Pukki, but hopefully we get a better look at Idah before the season end

5. Goalkeeper no.2 - A number 2 so we can have McGovern as our 3 and loan out Barden and Oxborough for game time

6. Back up option at left back - depending on Quintilla / McCallum outcomes

7. New CM - now I'm just being greedy but a true upgrade on McLean/Rupp. Those 2 have been mighty impressive this season of course, but that would simply be the next area I would upgrade after all of the above. Sorenson could also prove to be this player.

I think we would have something like this: 

--------------------------------Pukki-----------------------------------

---------Cantwell-----New signing-----Buendia--------

----Skipp/new signing--Rupp/McLean/Sorenson*--

--Giannoulis---Gibson----New signing---Aarons------

----------------------------------Krul--------------------------------------

*Very hard to say who will be favoured for this spot right now

• Like 2

3 hours ago, king canary said:

Striker, central defender and midfielder depending on what happens with Skipp. First one is going to be toughest.

I think striker is a real challenge. Even if we went 'big' (for us) and said we'd commit £20 million on a striker signing it's still going to be a massive gamble.

Central Defender, would be nice to have another but we'd be signing Gibson for around £8-10 million, would we spend that again on another?

Either way, if we do go up staying up is going to require stars to align and our signings for the most part to be spot on...

Would like to see us sign Lovro Majer. That kid is class and we would finally have a proper answer for the no. 10 role.

Might be too pricey tho.

2 hours ago, horsefly said:

I don't think Zimmerman has ever recovered his top form since the dreadful injury caused by that ars*ehole Haller. I still can't believe he was not sent off for that disgusting challenge. 

Just got angry all over again 😡🤬🥵👺

46 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I think striker is a real challenge. Even if we went 'big' (for us) and said we'd commit £20 million on a striker signing it's still going to be a massive gamble.

Central Defender, would be nice to have another but we'd be signing Gibson for around £8-10 million, would we spend that again on another?

Either way, if we do go up staying up is going to require stars to align and our signings for the most part to be spot on...

Personally I think we need another central defender- I don't see Zimmerman or Hanley as being able to play week in week out at Premier League level. Backups, sure, but starting week in week out? Not for me.

I think striker is going to be interesting- Pukki's 30 now, he's still good but he's not quite the hot commodity he was 12-18 months ago and I think we really need someone to actually challenge him for his first team place, rather than just a pure backup.

29 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Just got angry all over again 😡🤬🥵👺

Sorry Ron! I needed to share the pain

Assuming we go up, which seems more and more likely, our game is so honed its difficult to see us not dominating teams.   

A back up keeper to Krul although wouldn't have a problem with Barden or poss Oxborough as long as hes good with his feet.  

Excited to see this Greek lad whose video looks pretty efficient and his cover can be any of McCallum, Sorenson and Byram.   Would let Quintilla return to Spain...

A decent CB although have a feeling Famewo might just rise ahead of Hanley and Zimmermann quite quickly with his athletism.   

See the CDM position as a massive problem for next season.... we need at least two new players with tenacity, pace and power...(one of which could be Skipp but i doubt that will happen).    Sadly, this is where we faltered in the Prem... none of them including McLean and Tettey were good enough and we couldn't bypass the press like we are doing at the moment.    Don't see McLean or Rupp being good enough (especially as starters) and we've no idea about Sorensen although he looks promising at least.    

Hoping Idah will start to press Pukki for the spot before the season ends but if not we will need a replacement.   Don't think Hugill will be trusted (or capable) in the EPL.     Plenty of our players failed to step up last time... Hugill probably won't make that step.

Otherwise, we are looking a more promising unit than last time and the depth is better.    

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

We could do with a replacement for @Hardhouse44, @Number 9 and co. They've gone missing recently, it's not good enough at this level.

Six Packo  has been drafted in  to fill the gaps. Apparently Pepe  has 'no final ball'😅😅😅😅

Quite honestly if we were to be offered the next ten seasons yo-yoing between the Chumps and the PL I'd take it.

The Chumps is more fun, more often (when we are winning.) Great league.

The PL is riches (apparently,) exposure on the world stage, and we can watch the best teams littered with the world's best performers at Carrow Road. Great league for the few.

Best of both?

We did spend more than might be considered upon last season's promotion. They just failed to work out. Drmic, Amardou and Roberts (?) might have seemed paltry acquisitions by Premier League standards, but they probably were never that cheap. This is discounting promotion bonuses which, I believe, were hefty.

It was sensible book-keeping, imo., and,  even though it failed in the ultimate objective of survival at the top table, total survival or decline was far from threatened. We are now stronger both in the bank and as a squad after all.

Edit: I will add that I am now almost pleased we got relegated after all. The panacea of a successful team playing twice a week and most of it being broadcast is just what was needed in these frugal days of Covid lockdown.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

The really big issue is who we lose. Max, Emi and Todd would be able to significantly increase their wages with a move to anyone in the top half and there will be huge pressure from their agents to move them on. Max could probably be replaced but the other two would be problematic to say the least. 

Most of our other players would struggle to get a game in the lower half of the Premier League but we may get away with it if we keep hold of the players we have already got. 

Lots of posters are keen on Skipp but he would struggle to get on the bench at Spurs so they may let us have him for another year. We need to see Sorenson next to Skipp or instead of him to find out if he is as good as we think he may be. I think he may be the better player of the two but we'll have to wait and see. 

The really big issue is Pukki. We are relying on him to stay 100% fit for a whole season which seems unlikely to happen. But getting someone of quality to sit on the bench won't be easy. 

Hope for 17th but expect the worst. 

Sounds like a whole new spine will be needed along with a decent keeper to push TK! 

A centre back, a deep-lying midfielder, a striker, maybe a '10?' Pretty much like every other club.

And that's assuming Aarons, Buendia & Cantwell are still on board.

Webber & Co seem to be adept at getting up to the Prem on a relative shoestring - but a lot needs to go right to avoid the trapdoor by blooding youngsters & signing loans/frees/rough diamonds/players recovering from injuries. Some work out (See Krul, Pukki), quite a few don't (see summer 2019)

On the evidence so far, Skipp, Gibson & Sorensen look to be inspired signings. But are they capable of performing consistently in the division above? Decent chance I would say. Other than Krul and perhaps Tettey, who achieved that across last season, even pre-lockdown?

Not up yet mind! Only January I know, but this group seem to have a better resilience & general confidence than the last promotion. 'Grinding' out results is what solid & consistent teams do. Instead of late equalisers & winners (which have their charms of course!), we're confidently 'finding a way', protecting our leads, controlling the midfield & looking a lot more solid defending set-pieces.

To sum up, promotion is looking likely. 18th or below again even more so, unless Webber can pull some serious rabbits out of the hat. Possible, but a huge challenge.

I think really we to strengthen in attack and defence. Here are my views on the areas if we go up:

GK - Krul is currently 32, but will be 36 when his contract expires. McGovern will be 37 at the end of this season though and I can’t see him being offered a new contract, and if he is it will only be for one season.

FB - Still waiting to see Giannoulis play, but Quintilla isn’t good enough IMO, Sorensen isn’t a natural FB, and Byram is injury prone.

CB - Defo sign Gibson but Hanley and Klose are injury prone, but just like Stieps, Zimbo did well in our promotion season but has failed both last season and this season.

DM - Tettey will almost certainly hang up his boots, Vrancic might get offered a new contract but can only see him being a BW as can’t even play 90mins this season. McLean didn’t cut it last season but has experience now and has done really well recently, so I do believe there’s a possibility he might cut it. Rupp was only with us for 1/2 the season but has done well this season so waiting to see how he does now back from injury, and Sorensen to get more game time there. Might get someone for that position might not.

AM/W - Stieps did brilliantly in our promotion season but failed last season and has also failed this season, so I think we might sell him. Dowell is inexperienced but did great in the Championship for Wigan last season and so I’m hoping to see more of him, and him, Emi, and Todd can all play both wide and central. Onel is a bit injury prone and we’re waiting to see how he does now back from injury. Placheta and Martin are inexperienced. Not sure we need to strengthen there.

ST - Pukki will be 31, we’re waiting to see more of Hugill, and IMO Idah is still inexperienced.

I think we will probably look at clubs relegated in recent seasons, and possibly reserves of some smaller PL clubs. I saw someone say that looking at foreign clubs would probably be difficult for them to get WPs. Could someone tell me what exactly a player requires to get a WP - be deemed good enough to play by the government? It’s just I read that Soto’s caps for the USA helped him get his...