Feedthewolf

Skipp and McLean

We must not break up this partnership. They've gelled into a fearsome double act, and tonight was the best yet. Skipp is just magnificent; excellent range of passing, fantastic stamina and brilliant awareness and positioning. McLean is a bully with good technique, a brilliant first touch and an aerial presence. Together they were absolutely everywhere today. I wonder whether Jose would consider letting us give Oli a year of regular PL football next season if we get promoted?

Feel a bit sorry for Rupp as he was starting to look the business before his injury, but these two are absolutely unimpeachable on current form.

• Like 3

They've been excellent. Wonder if there's an argument for Kenny in the 10 when Rupp is fit?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

McLean is a bully with good technique, a brilliant first touch and an aerial presence.

His work rate was first class and he also has a very good turn of pace too. (Skipp was excellent too but McLean often gets abuse so deserves extra praise to highlight it).

• Like 1

Totally dominant but for a brief period when it got a bit nervy. It wouldn't matter if we were putting away at least an average percentage of our chances.

I think there's a reasonable chance that Skipp will stay. I know Mourinho said he'll be "back next season" but he kind of has to work on that assumption before any deal has been agreed. If not I'd say it isn't a disaster with Sorensen primed to step in. McLean the best midfielder in the championship on current form.

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

McLean in the 10 with Rupp or Sorensen behind could work wonders. 

Yep, realised after my post that Sorensen in the middle instead of Rupp and Giannoulis at LB would potentially be more likely.

Having this level of depth makes a nice change!

Can't see Skipp being here next season. If Jose wants to loan him again I think it will be to a mid table Premier League team to continue his progression.

No disrespects to us but he'll learn nothing being in a relegation battle.

McLean is more of a goal threat. Rupp can't shoot or header. 

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

No. Leave it as it is.

We presumably didn't buy a £7m left back in order to keep him on the bench..

We need to drop Skipp.  Sorrenson needs to be played in his place. As much as Skipp is great we need to settle Sorrenson in the team. He will be a better player than Skipp.

2 minutes ago, mastoola said:

We need to drop Skipp.  Sorrenson needs to be played in his place. As much as Skipp is great we need to settle Sorrenson in the team. He will be a better player than Skipp.

That, my friend, is the last thing we need to do.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kirku said:

We presumably didn't buy a £7m left back in order to keep him on the bench..

I'm talking about the OP and MacLean and Skipp as a partnership

I know McLean and Skipp are playing exceptionally well together, I know that Sorenson has also played amazingly and could stake a claim. But, (a hop a) Skipp and (a) Rupp just sounds so good when said together...

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

That, my friend, is the last thing we need to do.

I agree with you almost.   Sorrenson will be a premier league player. We will not have Skipp next year and will be beneficial to bed him in. IMO he will be at least as good as Skipp but just an opinion.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mr.Carrow said:

I think there's a reasonable chance that Skipp will stay. I know Mourinho said he'll be "back next season" but he kind of has to work on that assumption before any deal has been agreed. If not I'd say it isn't a disaster with Sorensen primed to step in. McLean the best midfielder in the championship on current form.

Hope you’re right👍

18 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

No. Leave it as it is.

If Skipp were our player and not on loan then I'd fully agree, but Sorensen needs time in the middle sooner rather than later just to get used to playing with his teammates in those positions. Unless we somehow manage to buy Skipp. Which I'd also be very pleased with, but can't see happening.

I really hope that Mourinho sees the next level of his development being a season long loan for us in the Premier league next season. 

3 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Hope you’re right👍

Would Skipp get in ahead of Winks or Hjoberg? Doubt it. So it would suit Spurs to leave him with us for at least another season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

If Skipp were our player and not on loan then I'd fully agree, but Sorensen needs time in the middle sooner rather than later just to get used to playing with his teammates in those positions. Unless we somehow manage to buy Skipp. Which I'd also be very pleased with, but can't see happening.

Putting the cart before the horse a touch. We need to get promoted first, that involves playing our best players, on loan or not. Once that's sorted we can worry about much game time players are getting in certain positions.

Edited by king canary
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, mastoola said:

Ridiculous statement. Why would you drop one of our best players with nearly half the season left, to " settle Sorenson in" dear me! 

5 minutes ago, mastoola said:

I agree with you almost.   Sorrenson will be a premier league player. We will not have Skipp next year and will be beneficial to bed him in. IMO he will be at least as good as Skipp but just an opinion.

Definitely agree that Sorensen deserves game time in his preferred position, and we need to find a way for him to get it between now and the end of the season. Breaking up that midfield two now would be madness now in my opinion (except for the cup game of course). We need to get to the PL first and foremost, and right now Skipp is the most consistent and complete player in the squad for my money.

Might be an option to move Kenny to 10 and put Lungi next to Skipp as the season progresses, but those two are so good at the moment it'd be crazy to consider changing it up!

10 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I'm talking about the OP and MacLean and Skipp as a partnership

Given Sorensen isn't a LB, I think he should be given time in his natural position, which will require a bit of a shuffle in MF.

• Like 1

Just now, king canary said:

Putting the cart before the horse a touch. We need to get promoted first, that involves playing our best players, on loan or not. Once that's sorted we can worry about much game time players are getting in certain positions.

A very fair point, I'd just say a few games now would help Sorensen get more used to his teammates when in his own best position, that's all.

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

Would Skipp get in ahead of Winks or Hjoberg? Doubt it. So it would suit Spurs to leave him with us for at least another season.

If he is to stay out on loan, then I can’t see any reason for him to go elsewhere. Would imaging the Spurs technical director? who was there tonight will be really pleased with the progress he is making under Farke

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Ndombele and Sissoko also play in that role and thats before you consider they may make a new signing there. Think there is a good chance Skipp spends next season on loan somewhere.