Sign in to follow this  
Ward 3

CANTWELL

19 minutes ago, chicken said:

I just think it's picking holes for the sake of picking holes. Once he bangs one in on his left peg he'll get more confidence with it. Some folks are just incredibly one footed. As I said, Hoolahan could be like that at times, didn't stop him from being a legend.

Scored or assisted 5 goals out of the last 8 we have scored. Is putting a shift in every game. If "he should have shot once with his left foot" and that he isn't Usain Bolt are the only things people can find to slag him off, then it really shows how good he is.

Unlike Lakey I've never 'slagged him off', but on the narrow point of his use of his left foot I do agree that it's an area of his game that he could/should improve on. (But weak left foot or not he's still a fantastic player and we're very lucky to have him). 

16 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Unlike Lakey I've never 'slagged him off', but on the narrow point of his use of his left foot I do agree that it's an area of his game that he could/should improve on. (But weak left foot or not he's still a fantastic player and we're very lucky to have him). 

I've never slagged him off as such. I only ever criticise objectively - or at least try to.

18 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I don’t particularly disagree with the criticisms either. It is more the fact he appears to hold Cantwell to a higher standard than any other NCFC player.

If Lakey made similar points on all our players tonight (and indeed there were of course areas where every player could improve upon in spite of the overall performance), then fair play. But it just seems to be Cantwell who gets the tough treatment!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I don’t particularly disagree with the criticisms either. It is more the fact he appears to hold Cantwell to a higher standard than any other NCFC player.

If Lakey made similar points on all our players tonight (and indeed there were of course areas where every player could improve upon in spite of the overall performance), then fair play. But it just seems to be Cantwell who gets the tough treatment!

You're 100% right Hank. It all dates back to the Preston cup game last season. Lakey went to that game with high hopes of a great Cantwell performance, but in fact Todd had quite a quiet game (he didn't need to exert himself too much because Idah stole the show that day 🙂 ) Basically, ever since then Lakey has held Todd to a higher standard than any other NCFC player. 

A year in the championship looks like it is doing Todd a world of good. Last season in the prem he wasn't anywhere near as involved in our general play, but his ability to score goals was a clear positive. This year, and in recent weeks particularly, he is taking control of games in a manner he hasn't done before. It feels like the next step is to get him playing behind the striker with Hernandez/Placheta to the left.

• Like 1

There really isn't anything to see here with Lakey's comments tbh.

He says Todd is playing very well (tick).

He says Todd could improve his game if he wants to become the complete player (tick) and picks these minute points out when this thread was a celebratory one. I sincerely hope that you will jump on any other individual player's thread Lakey, to point out their 'weaknesses' or areas for improvement. It'll only be right and balanced after all.

There is no such thing as a complete player, not in the Championship, nor in the Premier League. None on here thinks that Todd cannot improve his game, but that would go for every other player at Norwich etc 

Let's all let Lakey keep stoically defend his position why the rest of us celebrate the moment. Let's accept that Lakey doesn't get as excited as pretty much all the rest of us. That is totally up to him. It's just something I do not relate to, but hey ho.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Not completely.  Playing ever so well, but still needs to improve decision making sometimes. Clear on goal late in the match he should have gone for it with his left foot, hesitated and lost any space he had to shoot well with his right. He should take a lesson from Buendia, Vrancic and Mclean - who if the ball is there to be hit, they hit it and don't try and get it on their favourite side.

Have a  look at that again Lakey. The pass from Buendia was not quite strong enough and Cantwell's footballing brain worked quicker at the time, than our reflective ones. The left footed strike was not on. Outside of the right foot, though...........

And, of course, none of McLean's, Buendia's and Todd's shots went in 🙂 

You lot. Honestly. Can't stand seeing a little bit of criticism to a player for whom we all want the best.

Todd Cantwell, full of talent, starting to look consistently the player we all know he can be, superb last night, brilliant cros for Hugill but nevertheless, two good chances to score but failed to do anything meaningful with them - a soft shot and a controlling the ball rather than hit it first time.

I Don't criticise other players? I do, but looking at other performamces, not much to criticise....

McLean - excellent and when through on goal made incisive shot. No weaknesses.

Buendia - excellent, generally good choices, one or two poor corners, came close to scoring a couple of times with strong attempts

Vrancic - not dominant but some good touches, a couple of good shots, not his day for the spectacular.

Hugill - Excellent desire and making a nuisance of himself, scored twice, can't argue with that.

Sorensen - just excellent

Skipp - Mr reliable last night, very very good

Aarons - excellent, put in more early crosses than usual, sensible given Hugill's presence up front.

Hanley and Gibson - commanding and solid, Gibson particularly good getting things going ith his passing forwards.

Krul - not much to do, great to see him back.

Cantwell for me has the potential to reach the very top of the game and ought to be judged on those standards. He looks as if he is responding to Farke's calls for consistency and performing at his highest level 100% of the time, but he can be better still. Simply speaking, if you don't want to see constructive criticism of a player, what is the point of having a football forum?

He is fit well motivated and playing some wonderful football. Very often at this level he is almost unplayable. It is important that do our utmost to tie him down to a longer term contract, he is already worth a lot of dosh, how annoying if he walked away for next to nothing

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

You lot. Honestly. Can't stand seeing a little bit of criticism to a player for whom we all want the best.

Todd Cantwell, full of talent, starting to look consistently the player we all know he can be, superb last night, brilliant cros for Hugill but nevertheless, two good chances to score but failed to do anything meaningful with them - a soft shot and a controlling the ball rather than hit it first time.

I Don't criticise other players? I do, but looking at other performamces, not much to criticise....

Buendia - excellent, generally good choices, one or two poor corners, came close to scoring a couple of times with strong attempts

Vrancic - not dominant but some good touches, a couple of good shots, not his day for the spectacular.

Hugill - Excellent desire and making a nuisance of himself, scored twice, can't argue with that.

Aarons - excellent, put in more early crosses than usual, sensible given Hugill's presence up front.

Hanley and Gibson - commanding and solid, Gibson particularly good getting things going ith his passing forwards.

Cantwell for me has the potential to reach the very top of the game and ought to be judged on those standards. He looks as if he is responding to Farke's calls for consistency and performing at his highest level 100% of the time, but he can be better still. Simply speaking, if you don't want to see constructive criticism of a player, what is the point of having a football forum?

I think its more the case that you seem incapable of praising Cantwell without some random caveat. Last season it was that he didn't cross enough, now its that he's not perfect with both feet. Its just odd that you only seem to apply this particular standard to one player.

Nobody is saying he's above critique but you seem to focus so much on his perceived negatives that you just come across a bit weird.

• Thanks 1

It looks to me like mentally Todd has grown from last year- he wants the ball all the time, he wants to be the main man, and when things don't come off he just keeps trying. Championship Todd (and even at times last year PL Todd) had a tendency to turn invisible when things weren't going his & our. Where last year if he got some heavy treatment he would fade away, it's almost like each kick is taken as a compliment.

He's performing now exactly like a player who is too good for this level. Long may it continue.

Edited by Mason 47

Lakey, you are mixing this up somewhat

You jumped on this thread to generally **** **** the excitement the OP wanted to generate. You were the first, and pretty much only, one to really dampen down this thread. You didn't see the irony in NFN's post at all before you posted? If you did, then that makes it worse

What you said about Todd last night, was what you had said in a previous thread, so why not leave it alone and keep your pragmatism to your self on this particular occasion (please don't come  out with the 'It's a discussion forum, so get used to it ' line again)? Let the people have their fun sometimes. Just because you can, doesn't mean you have to 🙂 No one was going to die, it was a celebration of a players (very good) performance.

Your assessments of the players were from last night, yet we all know McLean does have weaknesses

You really need to look again at Todd's chances as to how they came to him. 1st one everyone was expecting Vrancic to take it, yet Todd still managed to get a strike in - extremely hard, for any player, to hit that sort of ball with a thunderbastard of a shot (in fact Todd did the right thing that all footballers are generally told, to hit it back from the direction it came) and the 2nd one was because Buendia did not hit it hard enough (nearly, but not enough for Todd to do what you wanted to happen). If Todd had let it go onto his left the defender would have had him and if Todd had tried to adjust his position to accommodate a left footed shot, he would not have been able to generate any power to trouble their keeper.. 

Edited by Crabbycanary3
  • Like 1

When is Cantwell out of contract? i had a quick search online and couldn;t find anything beyond 2022. Need to keep an eye on that because I think his agent has pushed for moves in the past and if we get into the last year of his contract i can see pressure building on us to sell to get something for him. 

9 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Lakey, you are mixing this up somewhat

You jumped on this thread to generally **** **** the excitement the OP wanted to generate. You were the first, and pretty much only, one to really dampen down this thread. You didn't see the irony in NFN's post at all before you posted? If you did, then that makes it worse

What you said about Todd last night, was what you had said in a previous thread, so why not leave it alone and keep your pragmatism to your self on this particular occasion (please don't come  out with the 'It's a discussion forum, so get used to it ' line again)? Let the people have their fun sometimes. Just because you can, doesn't mean you have to 🙂 No one was going to die, it was a celebration of a players (very good) performance.

Your assessments of the players were from last night, yet we all know McLean does have weaknesses

You really need to look again at Todd's chances as to how they came to him. 1st one everyone was expecting Vrancic to take it, yet Todd still managed to get a strike in - extremely hard, for any player, to hit that sort of ball with a thunderbastard of a shot (in fact Todd did the right thing that all footballers are generally told, to hit it back from the direction it came) and the 2nd one was because Buendia did not hit it hard enough (nearly, but not enough for Todd to do what you wanted to happen). If Todd had let it go onto his left the defender would have had him and if Todd had tried to adjust his position to accommodate a left footed shot, he would not have been able to generate any power to trouble their keeper.. 

Just enjoys being a contrarian pure and simple. Last season it was all positivity when this forum were all over the team, management, and board for how poor we are. Now all of the above are in sync, so it’s back to the negativity. Attention seeking behaviour? Perhaps. 

8 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Just enjoys being a contrarian pure and simple. Last season it was all positivity when this forum were all over the team, management, and board for how poor we are. Now all of the above are in sync, so it’s back to the negativity. Attention seeking behaviour? Perhaps. 

This "contrarian" label is just wrong. My views on most things are that you don't get too carried away by success and you don't get too down by failure. It's called keeping grounded. That gets me into trouble on here because people want to see you being either totally for or totally against. Well I've never seen things like that and if that makes me weird  ( @kingcanary ) then so be it.....but then time after time you hear football managers/philosophers/life coaches etc saying the same thing - don't get carried away by success and don't get too put off by failure. It's a way of life that allows you to still enjoy success, still get disappointed by failure, but keep your feet on the ground. That is something Todd has had to learn and he looks to me to have learned it and his play is much better overall this season. Still needs to improve his finishing though 🙂

I thought it was great seeing him laughing before the game. That shows he is relaxed and that is when he is at his best.

Poor devil gets fouled as much as Emi but doesn't have that Emi mean streak that some dislike but I love.

If Todd was in another top team he would be lauded by home supporters.

51 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Summer 2022. No option to extend.

I'd be surprised if he extends it to be honest. He's ambitious, he played hardball last time around and I think he might be happy to run it down.

Just now, king canary said:

I'd be surprised if he extends it to be honest. He's ambitious, he played hardball last time around and I think he might be happy to run it down.

Yes. Which begs the question as to what happens in the summer when he will have 1 year remaining. We may end up feeling we have to sell ( perhaps for less than we would otherwise have got?) to get a return unless he signs a new contract in the meantime. 

2 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

The two words that have been asterisked out are both the same 3 letter words and sound like loo

Probably get away with Pooh Pooh.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

This "contrarian" label is just wrong. My views on most things are that you don't get too carried away by success and you don't get too down by failure. It's called keeping grounded. That gets me into trouble on here because people want to see you being either totally for or totally against. Well I've never seen things like that and if that makes me weird  ( @kingcanary ) then so be it.....but then time after time you hear football managers/philosophers/life coaches etc saying the same thing - don't get carried away by success and don't get too put off by failure. It's a way of life that allows you to still enjoy success, still get disappointed by failure, but keep your feet on the ground. That is something Todd has had to learn and he looks to me to have learned it and his play is much better overall this season. Still needs to improve his finishing though 🙂

Much more of this and you'll cry Bullying again I  reckon .  Which is of course laughable.

Poor Todd might even think you have an agenda.... or are some kind of perverse  bully yourself .

Cantwell really has taken a step up since he was briefly out of the team, his confidence and ability to read the game are impressive, and he's much more able to deal with the physical side now.

With a year on his contract after this season, and given how much attention he attracted last year in the Prem, I can't see him signing another contract with us, so we must enjoy him while he's here.

One thing that struck me as well as his attacking ability, was a couple of times when the ball came through to him down the flank with very heavy Bristol pressure.  Rather than get his head down and try to work out of it, probably losing possession, both times he played a considered back pass to someone who could comfortably receive it so we could rebuild - intelligent and mature play I thought.

I'd guess we'll sell him in the summer with a season-long loan back, so he gets a step to a team higher up the ranks and we get him for another season, they give him another season's experience in the Prem (counting my chickens obv).  I suspect that's as good as it gets.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

A typically contrarian response Lakey 😄

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

If Todd was in another top team he would be lauded by home supporters

He is being lauded Grandadio, by pretty  much everyone except  you know who . Even Waveney has seen sense and kept quiet lately.