Sign in to follow this  
Ward 3

CANTWELL

I got a feeling he's going to score and get man of the match. Gonna have a superb gameĀ 

6 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

Cantwell obviously deserves his own daily thread

Thats why I done it šŸ¤£

23 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Thats why I done it šŸ¤£

6 responses and no one has mentioned his hair, Alice band, boots or gloves....

Ah cr@p

15 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

6 responses and no one has mentioned his hair, Alice band, boots or gloves....

Ah cr@p

I've not done a good enough postĀ 

Left purring tonight at theĀ fantastic range of passesĀ he possesses. Every inch Premier League quality for me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Left purring tonight at theĀ fantastic range of passesĀ he possesses. Every inch Premier League quality for me.

Not completely.Ā  Playing ever so well, but still needs to improve decision making sometimes. Clear on goal late in the match he should have gone for it with his left foot, hesitated and lost any space he had to shoot well with his right. He should take a lesson from Buendia, Vrancic and Mclean - who if the ball is there to be hit, they hit it and don't try and get it on their favourite side.

Ā 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Has played excellently the last couple of games and would (again) be good enough for the Premier League. However, did anyone noticeĀ when the ball was going away from their box on the left side andĀ CantwellĀ had a head start on their player and was comfortably beaten to the ball? Not sure if the ladĀ he was racing with isĀ called Usain or Cantwell was justĀ lightning slow?

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Not completely.Ā  Playing ever so well, but still needs to improve decision making sometimes. Clear on goal late in the match he should have gone for it with his left foot, hesitated and lost any space he had to shoot well with his right. He should take a lesson from Buendia, Vrancic and Mclean - who if the ball is there to be hit, they hit it and don't try and get it on their favourite side.

Ā 

No player is ever 100% perfect. But Todd was brilliant tonight.Ā 

Just now, lake district canary said:

Ā 

As I say, his passing range and vision tonight was absolutelyĀ sublime. No worries about the late chance either,Ā itā€™s ok to be tired when youā€™ve putĀ that kind of shift in šŸ‘

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Ā 

Err yeah... not like Vrancic or Buendia to try and put it on their favoured foot at all...

Not everyone favours their wrong foot. Hoolahan was rumoured not to possess a right foot... He'd turn players inside out just to get it back on his favoured left peg. That isn't just decision making, it can be confidence.

I'd having hitting them in training. I was never a gifted footy player, I used to practice kicking with my left peg. I figured if I could pass and be more confident at hitting balls with my left foot I would possess something a number of other players at that time didn't have. I wasn't wrong. Played left back for my uni team for 3 years, they thought I was left footed.Ā 

1 hour ago, All the Germans said:

Has played excellently the last couple of games and would (again) be good enough for the Premier League. However, did anyone noticeĀ when the ball was going away from their box on the left side andĀ CantwellĀ had a head start on their player and was comfortably beaten to the ball? Not sure if the ladĀ he was racing with isĀ called Usain or Cantwell was justĀ lightning slow?

Cantwell never has been quick and probably never will be. He has actually spoken about it at length in interviews - how he has adapted his game to get round the fact that he hasn't got real pace.Ā 

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Ā 

You have just got a downer on him Lakey, the boy is a class act, pure and simple..........

10 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

You have just got a downer on him Lakey, the boy is a class act, pure and simple..........

I don't have a downer on him. I say things as I see them and he has answered nearly every criticism of him, attitude, effectiveness in his midfield play,Ā  scoring goals - but he missed an opportunity to shoot by trying to get the ball on to is right foot.Ā  Mclean didn't hesitate using his right foot when his opportunity to shoot came and brought a fabulous save from their goalie. Buendia hit a smashing shot with his left foot - because that is what you have to do if you want to consider yourself a complete player - make yourself use the other foot if that is what the situation requires.

If I was being extra churlish, I would say that chance in the first minute should have been buried - hard along the ground like we have seen Stiepermann and Vrancic do. Trying to place/curl it in from there was not the best idea.Ā  It's all a learning process and it was right at the beginning of the match, but on the whole he is doing great.

3 hours ago, Ward 3 said:

You called it....

What did he call it ?

Ā 

34 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Cantwell never has been quick and probably never will be. He has actually spoken about it at length in interviews - how he has adapted his game to get round the fact that he hasn't got real pace.Ā 

I think there is a difference between 'real pace' which I would use to describe Hernandez and Placheta, and being slow. For starters,Ā  some are better over distances rather than short sprints. Cantwell isn't 'slow' he's just not fast. And that is probably why he is a midfielder rather than a striker or an out and out winger.

I wouldn't say Modric or Zidane ever had 'real pace' arguably neither did Hoolahan or Holt. Pukki doesn't, nor does Buendia really.Ā 

18 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I don't have a downer on him. I say things as I see them and he has answered nearly every criticism of him, attitude, effectiveness in his midfield play,Ā  scoring goals - but he missed an opportunity to shoot by trying to get the ball on to is right foot.Ā  Mclean didn't hesitate using his right foot when his opportunity to shoot came and brought a fabulous save from their goalie. Buendia hit a smashing shot with his left foot - because that is what you have to do if you want to consider yourself a complete player - make yourself use the other foot if that is what the situation requires.

If I was being extra churlish, I would say that chance in the first minute should have been buried - hard along the ground like we have seen Stiepermann and Vrancic do. Trying to place/curl it in from there was not the best idea.Ā  It's all a learning process and it was right at the beginning of the match, but on the whole he is doing great.

Whatever...........

1 hour ago, chicken said:

Err yeah... not like Vrancic or Buendia to try and put it on their favoured foot at all...

Not everyone favours their wrong foot. Hoolahan was rumoured not to possess a right foot... He'd turn players inside out just to get it back on his favoured left peg. That isn't just decision making, it can be confidence.

I'd having hitting them in training. I was never a gifted footy player, I used to practice kicking with my left peg. I figured if I could pass and be more confident at hitting balls with my left foot I would possess something a number of other players at that time didn't have. I wasn't wrong. Played left back for my uni team for 3 years, they thought I was left footed.Ā 

I've been one of Cantwell's biggest defenders on here, but I have to admit that I think Lakey does have a point here. There have been a few occasions this season where Todd has turned down the chance of shooting first time with his left foot and the chance has gone as he has taken the time to get the ball on his right foot. Re Vrancic and Buendia, Emi had a brilliant effort tonight with his left foot and scored a good low shot with his left foot at Reading. Vranic is willing to have a go with his right foot too - witness his goal to seal the Championship title at Villa.Ā 

Edited by Thirsty Lizard

The way he carries the ball marks him out as a proper footballer, a bit like Harvey Barnes but a couple of years behind him in development. He uses what pace he has to let the ball beat people - it's a skill you either have or haven't got; very difficult to coach it.

Two 9/10 games on the spin for me - ran the show both times. If he'd scored one of his chances it would be close to a 10. Brilliant performance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I've been one of Cantwell's biggest defenders on here, but I have to admit that I think Lakey does have a point here. There have been a few occasions this season where Todd has turned down the chance of shooting first time with his left foot and the chance has gone as he has taken the time to get the ball on his right foot. Re Vrancic and Buendia, Emi had a brilliant effort tonight with his left foot and scored a good low shot with his left foot at Reading. Vranic is willing to have a go with his right foot too - witness his goal to seal the Championship title at Villa.Ā 

I just think it's picking holes for the sake of picking holes. Once he bangs one in on his left peg he'll get more confidence with it. Some folks are just incredibly one footed. As I said, Hoolahan could be like that at times, didn't stop him from being a legend.

Scored or assisted 5 goals out of the last 8 we have scored. Is putting a shift in every game. If "he should have shot once with his left foot" and that he isn't Usain Bolt are the only things people can find to slag him off, then it really shows how good he is.

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Ā 

Oh come off it...

Not like our other attacking player neverĀ make similar mistakes is it? Even Buendia will have a few errors in eachĀ game.Ā 

Your obsession with constantly bringingĀ him down a peg or two is starting to feel like an agenda. AndĀ I just donā€™t recall you ever nitpicking Buendia, Aarons, Lewis or Godfrey anything like you do Cantwell.Ā 

Really weĀ should all be celebrating twoĀ absolutely masterful performances in a row from the best attacking midfielder Iā€™ve seen our academy produce - and a Norfolk lad to boot.

• Like 2