Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Giannoulis V Quintillà- Who's 1st choice now then?

10 minutes ago, horsefly said:

How many assists does Skipp have? I think the assists stat can be very misleading when it's applied to players occupying positions where you wouldn't necessarily expect them to be the penultimate contributor to a goal. 

Or Tettey? But he’s been a key member of the team for a long time now.

Giannoulis & Quintilla is levels above Lewis and Byram (the latter only because of his awful injury problems though) and that kind of progression is what we want to see for the PL.

Imagine like Gibson, XQ fee is probably already budgeted for and DG fee is part of next season's war chest.

Its going to be Gianoulis I would imagine once he;s up to speed (and Farke usually gives them a few weeks before chucking them in). In the meantime, Sorensen will continue to deputise I would imagine although Quintilla may play in the cup if he's well enough.

Sorensen has done brilliantly but regardless of that playinga  right footed midfielder at left back has inhibited our attacking play and i'm looking forward to seeing us with a better balanced side. Sorensen could still possibly play against some of the more direct opponants though as his aerial strength has been very useful.

I've just seen the Twitter video of the Greek guy. Very impressive indeed and looks like he will fit in with how we play. Looks like we have done very well to sign him bearing in mind the quality of clubs that have previously made offers. The Athletic says he was top of a list of 5 that we had and the club are actually surprised they got him. 

The real bonus is that he releases Sorenson and effectively strengthens 2 positions. 

I wonder if Farke will break the habit of a lifetime and put him straight in. 

When we're getting consistent results as we have been this season, it's always tempting to keep the same line-ups (this definitely seems to be Farke's policy anyway). But it's often said by fans, and also in the media, that we still have more in the tank, and I guess getting players like this new guy, or Xavi, into the LB position so we have an actual LB playing at LB, is a way of getting that extra out of the tank and improving an already great team.

Sorensen has been really good at LB, but that doesn't mean another player wouldn't be even better. We're generally winning games by only one goal, so maybe a more attacking LB will help that?

• Like 1

Do peeps think that we could do with another striker (if not one already in our ranks? ). I am really impressed with the strikers at Reading who have great pace and finishing skills. 

As for Dimitri he looks real class. He will fit in well but I would not want to see Sorensen dropped as he is quality, and the coolest player. As said, Skipp will leave us so opportunities for him to play in his preferred role. Xavi for me isn't a strong defender and won't stay .

The squad is shaping up well. 

Once farke decides use Giannis as first choice LB.  Sorensen will have a fight on his hands for DM position, Maclean in possession, Rupp looked good.  Injuries may allow him a preferred position at DM, but he has a very bright future.  Impressed at LB but will certainly be an option for RB if Max ever injured, also as a right sided midfielder he will be useful further forward.  Not currently blessed with right sided midfield options, left side well stacked.  Sorensen due to his adaptability will be a firm fixture in the squad.

1 hour ago, NFN FC said:

Imo we should be playing the new guy and Sorensen should be played in his natural role. 

We are very likely going to be playing in the prem next season. We should be getting the players ready for that. Skipp will likely not be here and that could be said for Quintilla too (he's got a great left foot but a prem starter for me). We need a strong core team that will have played half a season together before promotion. Obviously, we can add new players during the summer but they'll need bedding in. 

I would like to see another potential prem standard player signed in this window too. 

Agreed, and that's even more reason for putting Sorensen back in the middle.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Harry53 said:

Do peeps think that we could do with another striker (if not one already in our ranks? ). I am really impressed with the strikers at Reading who have great pace and finishing skills. 

As for Dimitri he looks real class. He will fit in well but I would not want to see Sorensen dropped as he is quality, and the coolest player. As said, Skipp will leave us so opportunities for him to play in his preferred role. Xavi for me isn't a strong defender and won't stay .

Pretty much agree with all of that. I would be tempted to get another striker in if Farke doesn't think Omotoye is quite ready. All our strikers seem a bit 'brittle', but it's a wonderful opportunity for Hugill right now.

Next season Sorensen will be first choice DM in the Skipp role.

Just need to get promotion over the line now so let's push the boat a bit out and make that happen.

3 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Pretty much agree with all of that. I would be tempted to get another striker in if Farke doesn't think Omotoye is quite ready. All our strikers seem a bit 'brittle', but it's a wonderful opportunity for Hugill right now.

Next season Sorensen will be first choice DM in the Skipp role.

Just need to get promotion over the line now so let's push the boat a bit out and make that happen.

If we go up, Omotoye would be a prime candidate for a loan out to a team like MK Dons, I'd think. You'd think Soto's ahead in the pecking order if he gets the work permit.

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I've just seen the Twitter video of the Greek guy. Very impressive indeed and looks like he will fit in with how we play. Looks like we have done very well to sign him bearing in mind the quality of clubs that have previously made offers. The Athletic says he was top of a list of 5 that we had and the club are actually surprised they got him. 

The real bonus is that he releases Sorenson and effectively strengthens 2 positions. 

I wonder if Farke will break the habit of a lifetime and put him straight in. 

He missed 3 games due to injury in November-since then he has played 90 minutes in 6 out of the last 8 PAOK matches-I guess he missed the last one due to the negotiations for the loan. He should be fit enough to play-just a question of whether he needs bringing up to speed with the way we play.

2 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

Giannoulis & Quintilla is levels above Lewis and Byram (the latter only because of his awful injury problems though) and that kind of progression is what we want to see for the PL.

Imagine like Gibson, XQ fee is probably already budgeted for and DG fee is part of next season's war chest.

What's the basis for this? Xavi's mediocre 7 games for us and some YouTube highlights?

4 minutes ago, kirku said:

What's the basis for this? Xavi's mediocre 7 games for us and some YouTube highlights?

There seems to be an odd need amongst some to do down players we've sold after they've left. Lewis is getting it now, recently we had people gloating that the Murphy twins weren't Premier League players, Redmond wasn't that good etc etc. 

Personally I'd have Lewis back here in a heartbeat.

9 minutes ago, king canary said:

There seems to be an odd need amongst some to do down players we've sold after they've left. Lewis is getting it now, recently we had people gloating that the Murphy twins weren't Premier League players, Redmond wasn't that good etc etc. 

Personally I'd have Lewis back here in a heartbeat.

Likewise. The only area that Xavi seems stronger in is his delivery. Everything else favours Lewis.

Edited by kirku

1 hour ago, Harry53 said:

Yes, I would love us to be able to find another striker in the Pukki mould and be able to convinve him to come here. I accept Hugill did well last game and is likely to improve with more time on the pitch to get used to his teammates but he is often labelled as Plan B isn't he ? Does that mean that when Pukki is injured we don't have a Plan A..............or is Idah expected to be able to offer that ? 

1 hour ago, Mr Angry said:

He missed 3 games due to injury in November-since then he has played 90 minutes in 6 out of the last 8 PAOK matches-I guess he missed the last one due to the negotiations for the loan. He should be fit enough to play-just a question of whether he needs bringing up to speed with the way we play.

I read that he had covid in November and the only slight worry is I saw one commentator say it had effected his performances since then a bit (presumably in terms of the phsyical effort based on the way he seems to play) so lets hope hes finally shaken it off. 

I thought this was an interesting bit of analysis from an analytics account (possibly linked to Shef U in some way) in that it shows how we have consistently come back and inside from the left flank this season primarily due to Sorensen playing there. That is no criticism of Sorensen by the way. We kind of play like that anyway (inverted wingers who drift centrally) and its not his fault he's right footed but this image does bear out how if you play us you know you do not need to worry about someone bursting down the left flank and getting crosses into the box. From what i've seen, that is what Giannoulis should bring to the party and it may make us very difficult to defend against because Sorensen is often in a lot of space out there. 

We’ve signed Giannoulis with an option to buy if we get promoted. We need to assess him though to decide whether he would be a good signing and of course to do that he has to play. As a result I can only see him taking over from Quintilla.

Quintilla is good attacking but not great defending, and I think we would all agree that the main area we need to strengthen in at the moment is defence

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

I read that he had covid in November and the only slight worry is I saw one commentator say it had effected his performances since then a bit (presumably in terms of the phsyical effort based on the way he seems to play) so lets hope hes finally shaken it off. 

I thought this was an interesting bit of analysis from an analytics account (possibly linked to Shef U in some way) in that it shows how we have consistently come back and inside from the left flank this season primarily due to Sorensen playing there. That is no criticism of Sorensen by the way. We kind of play like that anyway (inverted wingers who drift centrally) and its not his fault he's right footed but this image does bear out how if you play us you know you do not need to worry about someone bursting down the left flank and getting crosses into the box. From what i've seen, that is what Giannoulis should bring to the party and it may make us very difficult to defend against because Sorensen is often in a lot of space out there. 

It was a hamstring according to Transfermarkt.com but I don’t know how reliable that is.