utb

Onel Hernandez

Heard a rumour Boro might be in for him on loan, from what I can remember he was outstanding in your promotion season and would have thought he would be well out of our reach.

Nice to see the canaries flying high and especially good to see Ben Gibson back playing again,still a massive favourite on Teesside is Ben.

Good luck for the rest of the season. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, utb said:

Heard a rumour Boro might be in for him on loan, from what I can remember he was outstanding in your promotion season and would have thought he would be well out of our reach.

Nice to see the canaries flying high and especially good to see Ben Gibson back playing again,still a massive favourite on Teesside is Ben.

If we were going to loan him out I doubt it would be to another Championship club.

Just now, utb said:

Gibson is doing a great job. His uncle will be proud. I think it highly unlikely that Onel will go on loan but if he does, you will have a top attacking option on your hands. 

23 minutes ago, utb said:

Gibson is doing very well. The only way I can see Hernandez going to you on loan is if Whatmore comes in the other direction. (and overall I think it's very unlikely). 

Not thinking that any of our wide players would go on loan, but if any do, then I would be of a mind that either Placheta or Martin would be more likely to go than Onel, but I just can't see any of them going anywhere this season.

Might happen, Onel hasn't featured much this year due to injury and is probably behind Placheta in the pecking order right now.; He's one of those who proved themselves not quite up to PL standard last season and he'll be 28 soon, it could be that we're looking to find him another club and get a bit of money for him. He could have a part to play in our run in, but with all the forward options we have if Boro are offering a loan fee with the option to buy I could see why the player and ourselves would be interested. 

If you do get him he's a one of those wingers who looks like a world beater one game then barely touches the ball the next. He's quick but doesn't rely on his pace too much, his main attributes are his strength, close control and he's hard to knock off the ball, he players more like an inverted winger looking to come inside and shoot than one who likes to run down the line and get crosses in. Very good player at this level on his day but he's so inconsistent

• Like 1

Like I thought probably out of our price range then,we like most championship clubs are struggling financially. 

I said at the start of the season I thought you would go straight back up and have certainly not changed my mind on that. 

Massive suprise to see us in the top 8,I dont think any of us expected that,nice not to be struggling for points at the bottom. 

Good luck and take good care of Ben,he'll be our manager one day

Hernandez is our only real out and out winger option, and most probably our fastest attacker. He will be like a new signing when he returns to the pitch, won't be going anywhere

This may have legs Daniel Farke the Loan Arranger.  But to send Onel on loan might just be one loan too many, Placheta in pole position but an injury away from being missing.   

4 minutes ago, AJ said:

Hernandez is our only real out and out winger option, and most probably our fastest attacker. He will be like a new signing when he returns to the pitch, won't be going anywhere

Placheta is absolutely an out-and-out winger, and is easily the fastest player in our squad if not the league. Not to say that Onel won't be like a new signing to us, but he's definitely not as fast as Placheta, who is also definitely a winger.

I think a fully fit Onel edges Placheta for me, so I'd be surprised if we're looking to offload him.

Again, if fully fit, I'd have him in my first 11, along with Buendia and Cantwell, with Todd predominantly number 10 but him and Emi constantly switching to keep the opposition on their toes.

Not sure Farke agrees though.

• Like 1

Onel for me is decent but flatters to deceive - his ball in isn’t as good as Placheta, who for me is better.  I’d be surprised to see Onel go on loan, I’d have thought Martin would perhaps be more likely if anyone was going anywhere.

Edited by Branston Pickle

1 hour ago, utb said:

Hi UTB, 

Nice words, cheers. Most of the time we get fans of other clubs coming on here being right ‘Hampton Wicks’ (Sheff Utd, Brighton, Leeds, Luton and of course, that non league side down the road that’s growing a tree on top of its roof).

Just an opinion of course, but I would be very very surprised if Farke allows Onel to go out on loan. The reason being is that we only have 2 pacey wingers off the top of my head. Farke likes to have plenty of options, and with so few that offer that kind of option, then I’d be very very surprised if we were to send him out on loan. I can’t see how we’d benefit from it.

His involvement can prove to be a match winner on his day, and can turn a game with his sheer directness which then forces the likes of Pukki, Cantwell and Buendia to break quicker too - personally, it’s in those moments when we’re not so patient that we are at our fluid best, as we’re very lucky to have players with quick footballing brains and very good technique, so sometimes those attacks where they have little time to think and move the ball instinctively with one touch movement can often reap us our best rewards (see Cantwell’s goal against Man City as a great example of that, though granted, I don’t think Onel was on the pitch at that moment!). I would be highly, in fact very highly, surprised if we were to lose that kind of option for the run in. It just makes no sense.

You have Warnock as manager so promotion is quite achievable for you! I’m sure most of us would agree that his record speaks for itself in these situations, you would be a fool to back against him. Best of luck for the season, and get Jonny Howson back as an 8!

Edited by Alex Moss

I wouldn't rule it out. Hernandez has spent the majority of this season and the last injured. People suggest he didn't cut it in the prem, but was largely injured for it and was one of the few players that managed a consistently decent run in the project restart fixtures.

I would think a loan may be used to get him regular game time where that risk may not be taken with us whilst we remain to have other options in Placheta and Martin who offer backup to Cantwell and Buendia.

It may also be an option in terms of should se sign the Greek left back. Both he and Quintilla could probably be an option for left wing as well. So it may be felt that we have the bodies to cover allowing Hernandez regular game time that he may not get at the moment.

That said, he is a player that can change a game from the bench, so I wouldn't read too much into a rumour at this point.

4 minutes ago, chicken said:

People suggest he didn't cut it in the prem, but was largely injured for it and was one of the few players that managed a consistently decent run in the project restart fixtures.

Clearly you also watched the post lockdown fixtures then Chicken, because those that said he didn’t cut it in the Prem surely gave up and didn’t witness Onel when he had that run in the side - the only decent player who made any effort in that spate of ill fated games! I distinctly remember thinking he looked our best player by far during those matches, and that was in the top flight, not the Championship. He’s a definite keeper for me (not third choice behind Tim and Dan though ha ha), and I think it would be a mistake to let him go out on loan personally. As I say, we only have two attacking players blessed with pace, and he’s 50% of them! We need EVERY player we’ve got for these last few months, and especially those whom can offer us that little bit something different.

• Like 2

Would be utter madness to loan him to another club in the higher end of this league

I'd expect him to start at barnsley in the cup...if unscathed he surely then moves above Placheta for selection and indeed a place in the first XI ..(with Cantwell moving inside)

• Like 1

A lot was said last year while he was injured that we didn't have another winger instead of him, we solved that over the summer bringing in Placheta. I think if either of them had been fit over recent weeks we would have seen Cantwell in at 10 with one of them playing off the left. Also want to echo what was said above about him not getting much chance in the prem, he was a top performer in our promotion season, and in my opinion didn't play anywhere near enough last season (similar story with Vrancic).

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

Clearly you also watched the post lockdown fixtures then Chicken, because those that said he didn’t cut it in the Prem surely gave up and didn’t witness Onel when he had that run in the side - the only decent player who made any effort in that spate of ill fated games! I distinctly remember thinking he looked our best player by far during those matches, and that was in the top flight, not the Championship. He’s a definite keeper for me (not third choice behind Tim and Dan though ha ha), and I think it would be a mistake to let him go out on loan personally. As I say, we only have two attacking players blessed with pace, and he’s 50% of them! We need EVERY player we’ve got for these last few months, and especially those whom can offer us that little bit something different.

Fully agree! I really want to see what Hernandez can do with a good run of matches. He starts at LW for me and with an attacking four of him, Cantwell (CAM), Buendia (RW), and Pukki (ST) I think we can do serious damage in the Champs and compete in the PL.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, utb said:

Like I thought probably out of our price range then,we like most championship clubs are struggling financially. 

I said at the start of the season I thought you would go straight back up and have certainly not changed my mind on that. 

Massive suprise to see us in the top 8,I dont think any of us expected that,nice not to be struggling for points at the bottom. 

Good luck and take good care of Ben,he'll be our manager one day

Hi Utb, My Dad’s family are from Redcar, so I have a massive soft spot for Boro.  Everyone has said it, but Gibson has been superb.  if you are after Onel he is very capable and a real threat, I suspect we would be open to him leaving on loan, we have quite a few options in that position = although they are often injuried.  The one thing nobody has mentioned, a little like Gibson, Onel is a top guy.  My son loves him, and it is mostly based on his unexpected love of Argos.

Farke has said nobody is leaving this month so Argos isn't going anywhere.

I like Onel but he needs to sort his final ball out. Great to have him back.

9 hours ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

Krul

Aarons, Hanley, Gibson, Giannoulis

Skipp, Rupp

Buendia, Cantwell, Hernandez

Pukki

I want this XI and I want it now!!!

Yes, want to see this lineup in action as well !

18 hours ago, utb said:

That might be a good idea as Onel can then play for Boro against our rivals and help take points off them. We have the new LB who can also play Left Wing so it may be a case that as Onel hasn’t played this season he is not likely to regain his fitness with Norwich this season so why not send him out on loan?

14 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Farke has said nobody is leaving this month so Argos isn't going anywhere.

I like Onel but he needs to sort his final ball out. Great to have him back.

His end product has improved massively in the time he has been here to be fair, and hopefully it will continue to!

We've seen the best of Onel, Placheta's the one to keep hold of, and Giannoulis also looks like he's got a gas tank to pile over on the overlap as well.

Could definitely see Onel being used as a pawn to sweeten the deal for a good Middlesborough player. I liked Dijksteel at right-back when we faced them up there, but at 24 he may not quite be a young development option any more, and we've got Mumba there anyway. Although I can't get rid of the suspicion that Mumba's going to end up somewhere else on the park.

Placheta is a traditional winger, straight line pace; Hernandez I would say is an inverted winger as his real talent is his change of direction and strength on the ball rather than outright pace. 

Personally I'd just get Pepe watching tapes of Huckerby playing wide and training him to do that, he'd be devastating.

Either way, I cannot see us gifting an attacking asset like Onel to a side in the playoffs. 

Win their games in hand and Middlesbro are top 6, possibly 3rd. Unthinkable we would help strengthen them.

Not happening.

I remember seeing some stat last season about how often players would dribble the ball into the box, granted he didn't necessarily have a load of game time under his belt, but I think Onel was the third highest in volume per 90 minutes behind Sterling and Hudson-Odoi. It's not exactly goals or assists, and his final ball is nowhere near perfect, but it goes to show what he can do.