Thirsty Lizard

The Only Way Cardiff Could Stop Cantwell Today :)

12 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Wilson should have had a red card at CR for his lunge at Tom on 90 mins. He will be glad to see the back of Cantwell this season. 

Yes - I was going to say exactly the same thing. Over the last couple of seasons Wilson's name has cropped up on here quite frequently as someone people would like to see come here on loan - yet he has been totally outshone by Cantwell in both the games against Cardiff - and as you've pointed out, he's been booked in both games for fouls on Cantwell. 

• Like 3

The Cardiff commentary team were something else today. Bleating and whining about Max quite rightly complaining about a studs up challenge that clearly goes through his ankle, Emi making it clear that the challenge on him should be punished etc etc. But soon as that crap Liverpool reject pulls repeatedly at Todd’s shirt as we’re in a great position for the chance of a third, the Cardiff boys were like ‘great yellow card that’. Their double standards over sporting behaviour were something else. Hope their blow up sheep pops on them tonight. But if it’s a real one I hope it doesn’t pop because I like animals.

Edited by Alex Moss
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I didn't think the commentary was too bad today tbh.  Yeah they had a little moan at some perceived diving / card signalling (which imo is fully justified, I hated it when we were on the receiving end of that a lot in the prem and it should be stamped out), but overwhelmingly they were dishing out a lot praise for how Norwich play and Cantwell's performance in particular - you could tell they wished Cardiff were as well run a club as Norwich are right now. 

We do have a habit of taking a fall at the slightest touch and we have been "better" at it since our recent excursion into the Premier League. The ref. ignored one or two against Cardiff, but adjudged most as fouls.

Cantwell, Buendia, and even Hanley yesterday, go over like nine-pins on occasions. Stiepperman is another expert. 

Perhaps it is justified as these little digs in the back are commonplace, sneaky and often effective.

I've made the point before that we have, for sure, become more streetwise since Daniel Farke walked through the door. 

I'm happy with that.

Edited by BroadstairsR

I'd agree that we help the referee occasionally but the behaviour of some of the Cardiff players was ridiculous, especially where Todd was concerned. He deserves credit for not rising to the bait. He sometimes takes criticism on this site but he has an old head on young shoulders when he's on the pitch. 

Pack in particular seemed hell bent on kicking everything that moved. If our players need to hit the floor to show the referee what's going on I don't have a problem. If the opposition don't kick our players they tend to stay on their feet. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'd agree that we help the referee occasionally but the behaviour of some of the Cardiff players was ridiculous, especially where Todd was concerned. He deserves credit for not rising to the bait. He sometimes takes criticism on this site but he has an old head on young shoulders when he's on the pitch. 

Pack in particular seemed hell bent on kicking everything that moved. If our players need to hit the floor to show the referee what's going on I don't have a problem. If the opposition don't kick our players they tend to stay on their feet. 

Hugill got a lot of rough treatment too, they literally were set out to foul.

Wilson is sooooo overrated too.

9 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

The Cardiff commentary team were something else today. Bleating and whining about Max quite rightly complaining about a studs up challenge that clearly goes through his ankle, Emi making it clear that the challenge on him should be punished etc etc. But soon as that crap Liverpool reject pulls repeatedly at Todd’s shirt as we’re in a great position for the chance of a third, the Cardiff boys were like ‘great yellow card that’. Their double standards over sporting behaviour were something else. Hope their blow up sheep pops on them tonight. But if it’s a real one I hope it doesn’t pop because I like animals.

All of this, but they were also really quite complimentary about us and how we played. I thought they were more energetic than our usual commentary team! I would love a go at bringing that energy to commentary on Radio Norfolk (Chris, if you're reading...)

But the best bit was when one of them tried to pronounce "Omobamidele" 🤣

Not sure how a Welsh person can complain about names, what with all the random L's, G's and W's in their words 😉

• Haha 1

Harry Wilson played like a spoilt kid, always complaining with a look on his face that suggests he really doesn't want to be playing for Cardiff, he was made to look silly at times as Todd outshone him. 

• Like 1

Harry Wilson is a very good footballer, but another whose parent club are not looking after him properly in the bloated EPL. To put a £20m tag on him meant no one was going to buy, and a loan to Cardiff under Neil Harris was never going to suit him. He is surrounded by journeymen players playing a game which cuts out midfield.

By contrast, look at how Skipp has developed. He started as a break up and pass it player, now he drives through the middle. He could be at the heart of the Spurs team for years, and his presence and reliability has meant Maclean has massively improved by playing alongside him.

Wilson has gone backwards but he would be brilliant for us playing in Farke's system, and under his management. He would be a great addition if we go up - not for £20m though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Harry Wilson is a very good footballer, but another whose parent club are not looking after him properly in the bloated EPL. To put a £20m tag on him meant no one was going to buy, and a loan to Cardiff under Neil Harris was never going to suit him. He is surrounded by journeymen players playing a game which cuts out midfield.

By contrast, look at how Skipp has developed. He started as a break up and pass it player, now he drives through the middle. He could be at the heart of the Spurs team for years, and his presence and reliability has meant Maclean has massively improved by playing alongside him.

Wilson has gone backwards but he would be brilliant for us playing in Farke's system, and under his management. He would be a great addition if we go up - not for £20m though.

Excellent points. I’m sure you are right . Imagine the touches Wilson would get in our system. Mourinho was glowing in the praise for us and Skipp. I reckon we are high on the list of Prem teams who want their players developed/ made more valuable. 

I like Wilson and would love to see him flourish under the right regime. He is wrong for Cardiff, or should I say Cardiff are not right for him

Edited by Crabbycanary3

3 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

All of this, but they were also really quite complimentary about us and how we played. I thought they were more energetic than our usual commentary team! I would love a go at bringing that energy to commentary on Radio Norfolk (Chris, if you're reading...)

But the best bit was when one of them tried to pronounce "Omobamidele" 🤣

Not sure how a Welsh person can complain about names, what with all the random L's, G's and W's in their words 😉

Aha Hahahaha yes! I forgot about that Mr Lawrence/Laurence! I was laughing my head off too 😂😂😂

’And now they’re bringing on, just to slow the game down, one of their young defenders Andrew OHMaaah...?

Andrew OHMaaah...?...Medaallli...? 

Ohmmaaa...MedDELLION?

Medah...lion?

Yes, they’re bringing on, is it?, Andrew OHHBAAAAMAH MED DHAAALLION BAAA MAAA DELI

ANDREW OHBAAMAA-MEDALLION! is poised to make his exit and come all over the pitch, I tell you these boys have played some cracking stuff, and Ohh! Have you ever seen that before Dai!, Cantwell’s got one orange boot on, and one blue boot on!, the cheeky scamp with his hair tied back, he’s been everywhere today!’

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

Todd Cantwell FM 2020 Profile, Reviews.....Cantwell.....image.jpeg.a3fc3fe293de145546b8680aa27ed048.jpeg....Wilson....

Some on here will still think Wilson has the better haircut

39 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

Emi Did well to keep his cool - right at the end when Placheta had his chance Emi was taken out after playing the ball and managed to not hit the guy - just.

I’d forgotten that. The commentary team saw it, I think they said the Cardiff player put his head (AKA a footballer’s head butt) onto Emi?

1 hour ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

Emi Did well to keep his cool - right at the end when Placheta had his chance Emi was taken out after playing the ball and managed to not hit the guy - just.

Yes, I had noticed this too. A welcome sign that Emi is growing up. The Cardiff player took him out and then got up looking for a scrap - the Emi of a few months back would have reacted to that. 

58 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I’d forgotten that. The commentary team saw it, I think they said the Cardiff player put his head (AKA a footballer’s head butt) onto Emi?

Yes they did say he was lucky to escape a red for that.

Overall IMO decent home commentary, but the main annoyance was that they were happy to praise their players for committing professional fouls as “necessary “ but they felt our players were falling over too easily when pushed. It’s a twisted system of values.

1 hour ago, It's Character Forming said:

Yes they did say he was lucky to escape a red for that.

Overall IMO decent home commentary, but the main annoyance was that they were happy to praise their players for committing professional fouls as “necessary “ but they felt our players were falling over too easily when pushed. It’s a twisted system of values.

It’s the same for us all. We ******* loved Grant Holt when he wound up the opposition with his gamesmanship. I remember us all being incensed when the Blades blatantly wasted time when playing us, but I was in the crowd at Bramall Lane singing “Take your time Norwich City” the following season (unfortunately I also seem to remember them scoring very late on).

• Like 1

Wilson absolutely anonymous apart from cynical fouls on a significantly more talented player. Twice.

17 hours ago, Gibbo said:

I didn't think the commentary was too bad today tbh.  Yeah they had a little moan at some perceived diving / card signalling (which imo is fully justified, I hated it when we were on the receiving end of that a lot in the prem and it should be stamped out), but overwhelmingly they were dishing out a lot praise for how Norwich play and Cantwell's performance in particular - you could tell they wished Cardiff were as well run a club as Norwich are right now. 

thought much the same 

they both spoke positively of how we played and how the club has set out to achieve what now have

and it should be accepted that we are not beyond a bit of 'gamesmanship either

as to the shirt pulling a yellow card is not suitable, as that does not impact on them, nor offer us any redress for what was a blatant act of cheating/foul

whereas their player who was sent off could be at least thought to be tackling, however 'forceful' both tackles were

while being opposed to constantly mucking about with the game - there can certainly be made a case for a 10 min sin bin for such 'taking one for the team' ............ blatant cheating

and it is to be expected

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

If there is one thing I love about Cantwell is just how easly and quickly he winds up the opposition, pretty sure he always tends to be our most tackled player

probably because he is the one who tries, most often, to get past the opposition with the ball - which results in him being the most fouled

I wouldn't say tackled because mostly goes past them

On 16/01/2021 at 23:06, Thirsty Lizard said:

Yes - I was going to say exactly the same thing. Over the last couple of seasons Wilson's name has cropped up on here quite frequently as someone people would like to see come here on loan - yet he has been totally outshone by Cantwell in both the games against Cardiff - and as you've pointed out, he's been booked in both games for fouls on Cantwell. 

To be fair, it’s a team game and if Wilson wore yellow, he’d have opportunities to be much more effective.    Fact he’s been booked might suggest he’s still trying!     Not that we would swap Todd of course.