Petriix

Hugill's (lack of) movement

No, he's not constipated (as far as I know, although, come to think of it, maybe that's what's causing the issue; but I digress...), he just doesn't get the runs (this isn't getting any better, is it?) that he should be making. It's like he doesn't understand that you have to get away from your man or beat him to the ball.

He wants the ball to come to him all the time rather than working to get in front of his man. The defender keeps nipping in and taking the ball off him. If he gets a little better at this one aspect of his game then he could be an excellent player.

He holds the ball up well but players not getting close enough to him. Our style of play doesn’t really play to his strengths imo

1 minute ago, Coneys Knee said:

I think he’s done fine. He’s only guilty of not being Pukki that’s all. 

Yep, or Cantwell

7 minutes ago, Petriix said:

No, he's not constipated (as far as I know, although, come to think of it, maybe that's what's causing the issue; but I digress...), he just doesn't get the runs (this isn't getting any better, is it?) that he should be making. It's like he doesn't understand that you have to get away from your man or beat him to the ball.

He wants the ball to come to him all the time rather than working to get in front of his man. The defender keeps nipping in and taking the ball off him. If he gets a little better at this one aspect of his game then he could be an excellent player.

Really the only thing Hugill is guilty of is not being Pukki...

But he's just not that type of player, he's actually put himself about today and been a focal point for some of our forward passing. 

Buendia played a lovely 1-2 with him about 10 minutes ago to work space for a shot, we absolutely wouldn't have created that chance with Pukki on the pitch. Shame he didn't produce a better finish after that lovely turn from the McLean pass. 

He isn't the type to run in behind often like Pukki he instead prefers to play with his back to goal (which incidentally Pukki doesn't do). 

Both have their preferences as strikers, which we can utilise and adapt to. Of course we are more suited to Pukki after 2.5 seasons but there are some signs today that we are using Hugill a little better than we did at the start of the season!

He is playing his part superbly. They are panicking every time he is near their defence and it is just what we need to allow the more skilful of our team to exploit the spaces left.

The whole team are playing well.

Edited by East Rider

Stupid thread

He is having a real decent game. He only has 1 crime and I think we all know thats not being pukki. Seems op has just made his mind up and nothing the guy can probably do

Edited by South Sider
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Really the only thing Hugill is guilty of is not being Pukki...

But he's just not that type of player, he's actually put himself about today and been a focal point for some of our forward passing. 

Buendia played a lovely 1-2 with him about 10 minutes ago to work space for a shot, we absolutely wouldn't have created that chance with Pukki on the pitch. Shame he didn't produce a better finish after that lovely turn from the McLean pass. 

He isn't the type to run in behind often like Pukki he instead prefers to play with his back to goal (which incidentally Pukki doesn't do). 

Both have their preferences as strikers, which we can utilise and adapt to. Of course we are more suited to Pukki after 2.5 seasons but there are some signs today that we are using Hugill a little better than we did at the start of the season!

I should have probably phrased it better. I can see exactly what he's doing well and the problems he's causing the defence. I was just observing that he could have had three of four clear cut chances if he'd just got in front of his man.

This is the best I've seen him play and I think, if he continues to adapt to our style, he could be the real deal.

Agree he's doing ok, but it just shows how good Pukki's movement is that we really notice it when it's not there.  Pukki's movement is superb and he is always anticipating. lesser strikers stand and wait for something to happen before reacting. Thought Hugill had a good half though, putting homself about and making things happen.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

His turn before the shot that led to Todd's goal was sublime.

He's playing well but having just seen the replay, sublime is a massive stretch of the word, it was OK.

He is playing well and it is good to see that, despite the many who think he does not fit in with our style of play, we are playing well and winning with good contribution from Hugil. 

there is more to our forward line than Pukki who imo has not been as sharpe as he normally is over the last couple of weeks. 

12 minutes ago, hogesar said:

This forums weird.

This is the one game Hugill has been very very good for us.

dear god, that has to be a send up

slow, bad first touch and looking well unfit

as to 'setting up the second goal' that is absurd.... he shot at the keeper where it then bounced out to Cantwell

it is football, not friggin' billiards

No Hogs not very very good, but not bad, did his job well enough, but lacks the quality to be in this side! He’s just not good enough and to be honest a relegated championship side really should have better options as a back up to Pukki, we really miss Pukki when he’s not playing. 
Nothing against Hugill but we need to sign a back up striker even if it’s on loan.

Hugill is a decent player, but he's not Pukki. When he signed I thought "great an plan B option", but as we just utilise him in a Pukki role, then he'll go down as a strange signing. Not his fault mind 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Bill said:

dear god, that has to be a send up

slow, bad first touch and looking well unfit

as to 'setting up the second goal' that is absurd.... he shot at the keeper where it then bounced out to Cantwell

it is football, not friggin' billiards

Let me guess, he didn't actually play up front because formations don't exist?

• Haha 1

Hopefully it's only that we haven;t seen the best of him, but I feel that's clutching at straws. Was expecting a player along the lines of Grant Holt ... he's not Holt or Pukki, so what is he?

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Let me guess, he didn't actually play up front because formations don't exist?

Let me reply, what part of this 'formation' was Cantwell playing ?

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

He’s having a descent match. 

Going downhill? 

• Haha 1

Had a big impact on the result of both of the previous game. People slagging him off should go and do commentary for the BBC. Embarrassing.

26 minutes ago, hogesar said:

This forums weird.

This is the one game Hugill has been very very good for us.

It's not binary. When a player starts to demonstrate their abilities, their deficiencies also emerge. I'm still hopeful that his overall game will improve. As things stand I am not convinced in the overall package that Hugill brings. This was definitely his best game for us and he may well continue to improve. With a bit more quality, or a viable alternative on the bench, that game could have been much more one-sided; at least in the scoreline.

We have been spoilt by the movement of Pukki, simple as that.

Hugill a completely different type of forward and showed much more today. Maybe a chance for a run in the team for him. maybe give him that run before we all decide to bin him off.

but just to be clear i dont envy the job webber has replacing Pukki at some point. He makes any striker in this league look average.