lappinitup

*****Official Match Thread v Cardiff*****

5 minutes ago, horsefly said:

So I suppose de facto that does make me a happy clapper, and I'm proud to be so.

Same here HF!

The second half wasn't brilliant but that electric first half performance has won us the game today. Gave Cardiff too much work to do, even after bringing Kieffer Moore on who improved them no end. Pack's red card undoubtedly worked in our favour too, don't know what he was thinking having already been booked and getting away with a second yellow for the challenge on Cantwell moments earlier.

Speaking of Cantwell, as good a performance today as I've seen him put in in a Norwich shirt. Absolutely unplayable at times. Fantastic display. McLean and Skipp were very good too. The back 4 were generally solid and credit to Barden in goal, who didn't have a lot to do but put in a composed performance in-between the sticks. I know his end product can be frustrating at times as well, but Placheta excites me every time he plays, particularly off the bench. He's still very raw but if we can iron that out I think we've got a brilliant winger.

Hugill's main crime in some people's eyes it seems is that he's not Pukki. He's a completely different type of striker and one that probably doesn't overly favour the way we play a lot of the time, but did a very good job today for the team. Won a lot of headers and didn't give Cardiff's centre backs a moments peace. Unlucky not to score as well when Smithies made a great save to deny him, but fortunately the rebound fell straight to Todd. All in all I was pleased with Hugill today. 

All in all, great 3 points, particularly with Bournemouth losing. We're in a really health position now, even considering Brentford's games in hand, and it'll be even healthier if Barnsley can take something from Swansea later!

• Like 2

Thought everyone played well today, all at least 7/10. First 60 odd minutes was excellent but one dodgy bit of defending and it makes it a nervous last half hour again. It should’ve been a much more convincing result than the score suggests....again! 

As already pointed out, this with a vast number of players out again. So a big well done to all that played today.

Missed the Chris Goreham commentary today!! the Cardiff version was crap, kept harping on about play acting by Norwich and even said Neil Warnock needs to make a change...😅. He's long gone!    Great win made hard work of it 2nd half 👍

Edited by greggp27

Have to say a PL side would have taken us to the cleaners if offered the chances we gave to Cardiff today. We'll have to do some serious reorganisation/rebuilding when we go up.

I like Placheta but the lad lacks confidence. Watching him last week he seems to have a large turning circle too. I think there's raw talent there to be developed, but he needs more game time - & a few goals/assists under his belt.

Scrappy game, imo. Lots more hoof and head tennis than usual, along with a few too many misplaced passes.

But a wins a win.

Tough side Cardiff so all in all a good day at the office. 

Hugill had a decent game and it's probably the best of him that we saw today. Not a goalscorer and not really for me, but I'm glad for the lad.

If we do go up he'll collect his promotion bonus then head straight back to the Chumps I should imagine. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

31 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Scrappy game, imo. Lots more hoof and head tennis than usual, along with a few too many misplaced passes.

But a wins a win.

Tough side Cardiff so all in all a good day at the office. 

Hugill had a decent game and it's probably the best of him that we saw today. Not a goalscorer and not really for me, but I'm glad for the lad.

If we do go up he'll collect his promotion bonus then head straight back to the Chumps I should imagine. 

Scrappy because of all the fouls. I counted four in less than two minutes.

I was surprised it took so long for the sending off, Hoillet must have been very close to out of control on Aarons who seems to have a target on his shirt recently.

• Like 1

Good result but we've got to tuck teams up properly. We needed a third goal.

2:0 at half-time is never enough to relax in the 2nd half. Accidents can (and do ) happen.

Edited by Yellow Fever

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Hugills best game for us. Held the ball up brilliantly, turned there defenders several times, linked up with the midfield in cantwell and buendia better than ever before, changed his runs, came short but also ran in behind. Cardiff defenders were moved all over by him. Not been good enough up to date but today was definitely a step in the right direction

Absolutely this. He was a handful today and probably not a coincidence that it’s after starting the last game too. He will get better the more often he plays. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

An interesting question.

Was Handley's header not from an ' assist ' ?

I think the search goes on..... 🙂

I maybe missing something here, but the assist was from Vrancic - good flick on at the near post. 

11 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Everyone happy with the Ref?

Thought he was pretty good overall, but a little slow to clamp down on Cardiff's incessant and increasingly aggressive fouling as the game wore on. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Everyone happy with the Ref?

Not really. I think he should of been aware that Cardiff were happy to foul us while they escaped punishment. It seemed they had decided who to take out before the match. As I said earlier, Aarons in particular has been targetted.

33 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Scrappy because of all the fouls. I counted four in less than two minutes.

I was surprised it took so long for the sending off, Hoillet must have been very close to out of control on Aarons who seems to have a target on his shirt recently.

I also thought Hoillet's challenge should have been a straight red; it looked to be two-footed with studs showing (hilariously the commentators accused Aarons of play-acting).

6 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

That doesn't seem to stop people critiquing our own players though 😉 

They just need to, each to his own I suppose, but Im a happy clapper I believe😀

Cant believe people are criticising Hugill, everyone played well today, what joy.

Edited by Van wink

9 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

That doesn't seem to stop people critiquing our own players though 😉 

I feel the squad let alone the team play as a team - some get thankless tasks or undue criticism - unseen cogs in the greater wheel.

Its nice to praise a MOM performance and so on but the real truth is that we are greater than the sum of the parts. That's what currently makes us leaders as opposed to rag bag bunch of prima donnas.

1 hour ago, Il Pirata said:

Vrancic quality today, especially in the first half. Another example of us being better as a team when he plays. Really helping Cantwell out too, who was also excellent. 

I must admit I smiled to see you being positive about Mario, but on reflection he had very good game. 👍

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

You're not popular on here but you're also not wrong.

He has posted today then (JK that is), I'm guessing he's blocked me, boo hoo 😂.

Trouble with trolls like Jerry, is as soon as someone calls them out to be the moronic bully that they are, as I did they run away and hide.  He's not popular because he just continually has a pop at people, but never has original content about the game, or the club itself.

One thing worse than a bully, a cowardly one, Jerry is both.

2 hours ago, horsefly said:

Make that 7. Held the ball up very well and won a number of headers that would never have happened if Pukki had been playing. Of course Pukki is first choice, but Hugill really contributed today.

DC1C0D00-3FCA-4E5B-A900-F355FFC98E25.gif

• Haha 1

Interesting to read what Walesonline said in their player ratings of Cardiff's centre backs:

Curtis Nelson 4

A fairly poor showing, all told. Lost his man for Norwich's first goal and Hugill gave him a tough time of it through. Needed to step up in Morrison's absence.

Joe Bennett 6

Made a couple of really key challenges, in an unfamiliar position, to his credit. Showed a real fighting spirit, too. Had a hard battle against the physical Hugill but did his utmost to combat it.

Seems they also thought Hugill put in a good shift.

Definitely a very good first half, Hugills best game for us, but Vrancic, McClean and Skipp certainly controlled the midfield in the first half, Cantwell was possessed and all over the pitch, Buendia solid if not as influential as normal, I think he misses Pukki, Buendia always looks far better when Pukki plays.

Gibson & Hanley solid and certainly good by our young keeper.

Second half a lot of players looked tired and misplaced passes which could have killed the game off with a third goal.

Take 3 points and like Cardiff they will take points off our rivals.