lappinitup

*****Official Match Thread v Cardiff*****

I thought Hudgil did well today, he hasn’t played regularly for a while and he put in a real shift and looks a good character. We did miss Pukki’ movement but as a plan B we still looked dangerous and that was key. I wonder if a few of them have had the flu bug (not COVID but the one Rupp and Martin have ) as we looked leggy towards the end but we got over the line. Cantwell was standout today and I thought sorenson was solid again. Tough place to get 3 points and Cardiff with Moore and Morrison will take points off top teams going there, we may have caught them at the right time. Onwards and upwards. OTBC.

special mention also to Barden, so composed for a young keeper, I didn’t feel nervous with him at all. 

• Like 3

I was getting a little fed up with the accusations of play acting from the commentators while Cardiff continually chopped down our players.

Other than that, superb result. Hugill was understandably a little rusty with his touch and finishing, but worked really hard and was a superb outlet to relieve pressure. Cantwell motm. Otbc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CirclePoint said:

Ah....no..... Not sure I was talking about Hugill's playing. It was his antics at the end when he was rolling on the floor like a child.

Overall Hugill put it a good shift and made the defenders work.

Was that when he felt convinced he was fouled and he thought the Ref would (obviously in his mind) blow the whistle?

18 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

Sorry but Hugill just not good enough

Absolute nonsense. You could see how much his movement is improving if you just looked. Plus he got an assist through that movement. Clearly good enough today, he played well.

• Like 3

yet another crucial win. Don't forget we have 12 players out injured currently and a youth prospect in goal. Farke is working miracles to have us on 50 points from 24 games in a very challenging league all things considered.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I thought Hugill was good enough for us today. He played well, got the assist for the second goal and kept their back four occupied enough. Cantwell was superb - I just don't get people on here saying otherwise. Emi had a bit of an off day. Back four, McLean, Skipp and Vrancic all decent too. A solid win, with several gears to go up if necessary.

Agreed. I think Emi was marked so much it gave Cantwell the space to shine today.

But was Hanley doing for their goal?

7 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Was that when he felt convinced he was fouled and he thought the Ref would (obviously in his mind) blow the whistle?

How on earth did the ref decide that was a foul by Hugill? Baffling decision. 

• Like 2

As Ricardo said, we need to convert more chances. We are far and away the best team in the league bar scoring at a reasonable ratio to chances.

But another win and while you win unlike Bournemouth who draw too many, you gain on your opponents.

We have the best players who are comfortable with our style andin possession.

And another week nearer having a full squad to choose from.

2 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I thought Hugill was good enough for us today. He played well, got the assist for the second goal and kept their back four occupied enough. Cantwell was superb - I just don't get people on here saying otherwise. Emi had a bit of an off day. Back four, McLean, Skipp and Vrancic all decent too. A solid win, with several gears to go up if necessary.

Hugill played OK in the first half but when the pressure was on in the second - his shortcomings really stood out.

Sorensen played well !

1 minute ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

How on earth did the ref decide that was a foul by Hugill? Baffling decision. 

Think he gave a handball. 

4 minutes ago, Big O said:

I thought Hudgil did well today, he hasn’t played regularly for a while and he put in a real shift and looks a good character. We did miss Pukki’ movement but as a plan B we still looked dangerous and that was key. I wonder if a few of them have had the flu bug (not COVID but the one Rupp and Martin have ) as we looked leggy towards the end but we got over the line. Cantwell was standout today and I thought sorenson was solid again. Tough place to get 3 points and Cardiff with Moore and Morrison will take points off top teams going there, we may have caught them at the right time. Onwards and upwards. OTBC.

special mention also to Barden, so composed for a young keeper, I didn’t feel nervous with him at all. 

Absolutely! Give him more game time and he could be taking over from Krul when the day comes he hangs up his boots.

1 minute ago, CirclePoint said:

Agreed. I think Emi was marked so much it gave Cantwell the space to shine today.

But was Hanley doing for their goal?

Yes Hanley needed to attack the ball rather than stand off after the Cardiff player cut inside McLean.

7 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

??? So you're okay with him having a mini tantrum because he didn't get the foul called in his favor? Fair enough.

Apologies...maybe I misinterpreted your tone. If that was a legitimate question, then yes. That was the moment I'm referring to.

Edited by CirclePoint

1 minute ago, Six Pack said:

Hugill played OK in the first half but when the pressure was on in the second - his shortcomings really stood out.

Sorensen played well !

I don't think Hugill is good enough long term. However, I'd suggest you choose your battles; he played well today. Make this argument at a time when he doesn't play well maybe?

10 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

Good to see the pinkun idiots are keeping their form up. 

McLean had a good game, so let's attack hugill, who has played about 45 minutes of football in 3 months. 

Bunch if absolute ars*s.

You're not popular on here but you're also not wrong.

18 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Five posters have already disagreed with you and I'm the sixth.

Make that 7. Held the ball up very well and won a number of headers that would never have happened if Pukki had been playing. Of course Pukki is first choice, but Hugill really contributed today.

1 minute ago, All the Germans said:

I don't think Hugill is good enough long term. However, I'd suggest you choose your battles; he played well today. Make this argument at a time when he doesn't play well maybe?

Read all posts - second half was the problem (holding the ball) - what were you watching? - obviously not the game !

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

Make that 7. Held the ball up very well and won a number of headers that would never have happened if Pukki had been playing. Of course Pukki is first choice, but Hugill really contributed today.

Only 7 ? there are thousands of happy clappers on this board !

Merson must have a bottle under his desk. Not sure about us and Cardiff did alright and worked hard for the manager.

One way today, missed a hatful, got kicked off the park but Merson wasn't sure.

Just now, Six Pack said:

Result must have been pretty disappointing for you

1 minute ago, Six Pack said:

Read all posts - second half was the problem (holding the ball) - what were you watching? - obviously not the game !

Each to their own. You can think he didn't play well today and the rest of us can disagree with you.

Absolutely flying away with this! Not been this optimistic about our club for a while, even more so than last promotion.

Our current crop look better for all the experience, a top quality left back coming in, 2 genuine potential world class talents in Aarons and Buendia still plying their trade for us and the local lad starting to let his football do the talking again, absolutely fantastic today from Todd!

Gibson and Skipp look like exactly what we were lacking last season, frustratingly so, but no point dwelling on what ifs.

I think we are only 3 or 4 quality signings away from being a real established prem side but let's get there first.

4 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Worked really hard and would have had more chances had Bagan not played so well 2nd half against him.

I can't post on the match day thread due to technical problems at Chez Dylan. 

A very strange game. 

The ref should have sent Pack off before the game started. 

The commentary was probably the worst I've ever heard. 

The commentator wants to have Todd's baby. Hope you get out safe Todd. 

We scored from a corner! 

I'm still reserving judgement on Skipp. You can't make mistakes like that in the Premier League. 

Emi wasn't great and Teemu wasn't playing but we still won away. 

Next time we play in Wales send their radio station a message if you've been there on holiday. You'll get a mention. 

Cantwell was very very good. But I don't want him to have my baby. 

Sorenson strolled through another game at left back. 

Got to stop now, there's news coming in of a throw in at the Racecourse Ground. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

31 minutes ago, hogesar said:

We also really need to punish teams on the counter. I agree we started the second half with no intensity but after that we broke and had a player advantage 4 or 5 times in the second half and we really should have finished the game off.

Feels like another one where if we could be just slightly better at finishing we'd have won by 2 or 3 goals quite comfortably. 

13 minutes ago, CirclePoint said:

??? So you're okay with him having a mini tantrum because he didn't get the foul called in his favor? Fair enough.

Apologies...maybe I misinterpreted your tone. If that was a legitimate question, then yes. That was the moment I'm referring to.

You misinterpreted my tone👍

8 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

Have to admit it, I'm very happy with the result and did clap when the whistle went. So I suppose de facto that does make me a happy clapper, and I'm proud to be so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Oh yeah if it was Holt it would have been the best thing ever but some won't acknowedge that whilst Hugill hasn't been good enough for us to date, today he done a really important job for the team.

Yep , I thought Hugill thought he'd play act that he thought the free kick was ours..... thereby wasting time " oh , sorry mate was it your ball" .  In fact co.mented to a mate he did something very holty earlier, lost possession  high up the pitch, battled to get in front of his man, felt pressure   , went down, free kick. Textbook GH.  And GH the defender does it a lot too.

• Like 1