On 16/01/2021 at 04:33, Brown Canary said:

We were interested in signing CH when he was at Barnsley for around 1 million and just missed out on him at the time . 

It was rumoured at the time that Villa had thrown £30k a week at him in the Championship, and I doubt we'd have been offering any more than half of that, so I'm not sure we "just missed out" on him, but rather simply couldn't afford to match what competitors were prepared to pay.

It definitely wasn't the fee that was the issue, it was low because Hourihane had 6 months left on his deal. Celtic were interested and could have signed him on a pre-contract at that point for £0.

Cracking player though and would improve our XI I feel.

On 19/01/2021 at 16:27, horsefly said:

We clearly didn't need him given the players we already have. Whereas we did need a quality left-back and we just got one. 

He would have improved our XI, but definitely not a priority position. That was left back, and thankfully we addressed that one! 

I'm not convinced Hourihane would improve our XI that much, who would you drop? Cantwell, Buemi, McLean and Skipp are all in good form, then you've got one of Dowell, Vrancic, Rupp, Steipi (When he's available again), Martin and of course Sorensen when he's back to playing in the middle. There's no doubt Hourihane has a lot of ability and you might even say he would be ahead of some of those players, but he'll want to be playing every game at his age and I'm not convinced he'd be in the starting XI given the form of our players at the moment

Edited by AJ

Clearly he’s a massive upgrade on Rupp/Kenny, plus Swansea’s midfield would be weakened without him, surely his wages for a few months would be money well spent, did you see how his free kicks compared to Placheta’s!