We were interested in signing CH when he was at Barnsley for around 1 million and just missed out on him at the time . Although we have plenty of creative players in our midfield, if we were to lose anybody ( although unlikely) in the current window or summer, CH would be in my opinion a great fit for us ? 

Always quite liked him but not sure he's directly our style of player. Think we have enough attacking options though, LB, GK and CB probably where the cash needs to go

Edited by AJ

Would be wasting money

We have enough in the squad to get us promoted - so money spent now should be directed at next season's squad

And as Villa don't appear to see him as up to PL standards then nor should we

The problem with Hourihane (other than the fact that he came through the Youth system at Ipswich Town!) is that he a difficult player to integrate into team play. Which is being kind. So he is the absolute antithesis of A Daniel Farke player, where the mantra is always pass, pass, pass.

Tidy player and depending on the cost of the loan he may be useful to have in the squad especially as it seems as though Stiepi might not be a straightforward 'injury'.

No point in bringing in if no one from midfield is going out.

Left Back seems to be covered, we'll clearly get a keeper in so I have a funny feeling that will be it.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Would be wasting money

We have enough in the squad to get us promoted - so money spent now should be directed at next season's squad

Out of likes, but absolutely spot on, Billy 👍

We're not talking about him being good enough for the EPL, it's a loan gig to the Championship where he was quite superb.

Get him in, we don't our rivals to have him.

9 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

We're not talking about him being good enough for the EPL, it's a loan gig to the Championship where he was quite superb.

Get him in, we don't our rivals to have him.

That’s fair, CP. If it’s just a loan then that’s one thing. But as Bill said, certainly wouldn’t want to sign him if we got promoted. But more than anything, do we really need him right now? I think we already have better personally, but each to their own.

He never played for the binners, in a very literal sense, to be called a scummer. 😀

Would be a good shout. If we could afford to loan to buy him in the summer, I think that's a win win. Good enough for both leagues imo, I'd assume wages and initial fee would be a struggle.

I think he'd fit into our style of play. Am I alone on this?

• Like 1

From what I've seen - he would effectively be a second Vrancic.

While I rate Vrancic highly, he struggles to get in the team and hence it doesn't really make sense to sign another equivalent midfielder who isn't much/any better.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bill said:

Would be wasting money

Sometime it might be worth getting a player like him in so Swansea don’t get him as well. 😉

2 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

He could be the signing which pushes Swansea on to a top two finish.

I agree with that.

I think in the championship he'll make a difference to most if not all teams.

• Like 1

On 16/01/2021 at 13:00, Jersey Canary said:

Sometime it might be worth getting a player like him in so Swansea don’t get him as well. 😉

Swansea have got him (on loan)

We clearly didn't need him given the players we already have. Whereas we did need a quality left-back and we just got one. 

On 16/01/2021 at 13:00, Jersey Canary said:

Or we could negate that by letting them have him, and us just signing better 😉

On 16/01/2021 at 12:02, HertsCanary93 said:

From what I've seen - he would effectively be a second Vrancic.

While I rate Vrancic highly, he struggles to get in the team and hence it doesn't really make sense to sign another equivalent midfielder who isn't much/any better.

Much more physical than Mario , sweet left foot too. Has grafted his way up from a career low at Plymouth.  I wouldn't write him off. Better than Kenny ?  I'll  leave  that to the experts. 

Great signing for Swansea, he's a very good player at Championship level who will no doubt chip in with a few goals and assists between now and May.

But he's at his best as a centre midfielder in a 3 man midfield, a system that we don't play, and I agree with the comment above that he is essentially another Vrancic; he can play as a number 10 and do a decent job there, but he'll always feel like a bit of a square peg in a round hole in that position. He also isn't really industrious or good enough defensively to partner Skipp as one of two holding midfielders, which the likes of Rupp and McLean (and hopefully Sorenson) can do. So while he's a fine player at this level, he's not one that we either need or would fit into our system.

Excellent signing for Swansea. 4D chess from Webber to let him go to a rival and take points off promotion chasing teams!